Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Rim Time, Stans v DT
  • fathomer

Having cracked both front and rear Lightbicycle carbon rims, they need replacing but I can’t make my mind up between Stans or DT.

I’m thinking either a Flow/Arch or XM481/EX471 combo to go on my existing DT hubs, probably using Sapim D-Lites.

Currently leaning toward the Stans as they’re cheaper and slightly lighter. And I’ve also had good experiences with Stans in the past.

Opinions welcome 😀

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Did exactly that earlier this year. Replaced old FlowEX’s with the 30mm DT XM481’s on a set of DT 240s hubs with Sapim D-Light spokes.
    The DT rims built up much easier than the Stan’s did which I take as a good sign. Over the life of the Flow’s I had the back wheel lose tension once and go out of true 2-3 times (not drastic and easily fixed).
    By comparison the DT’s haven’t been touched since I built them, they were the easiest wheels I’ve ever built and ended up being the straightest. Even taking into account the squorx nipples and the PHR washers, they went together faster and easier than anything else I’ve built in the 20 odd years I’ve been building wheels.

In short (too late I know), Im a big fan of the DT rims, they seem much sturdier than the Stan’s which came off my wheels with several dents and dings and as I said went together beautifully.

#EDIT : One other thing I noticed, the Stan’s rims were heavily corroded around the spoke holes when I dismantled the wheels. That’s depite the bike living in the house and my lubing the nipples when I built the rim. A bit of corrosion I can accept but the rims were only a couple of years old and as I said, heavily corroded.

nedrapier

Not saying highlander’s not right, but I’ve found the wider the rim, the easier it is to build. Probably a factor, how big, I have no clue!

Northwind

The current DT really are excellent, but expensive enough that I looked elsewhere. Can I unhelpfully add to your list WTB? The Frequency isn’t light but it’s ridiculously tough, I rode a fair amount of La Thuile on a flat on my i25 one time and it didn’t even have a bruise, it was ridiculous. I haven’t used the Flow mk3 but neither my Flow or Flow Ex would have dealt with that. In fact I don’t think my 721s would have done so well either.

I had no hesitation about buying a set of i29s for my hard use wheelset, £45 each. (they’re heavier than I’d like for everyday use, but then, I have not killed my LB rims so maybe your tough/weight decision is different to mine)

And the Kom’s a nice lightish toughish, not indestructible but not so expensive that you cry if it dies option.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Could easily be true, the XM481’s are certainly the widest rims I’ve built with.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Ive got a pair of Arch exs and a pair of Flow mk3s. Both nice rims but the Flows seem a lot tougher for not much weight penalty really.

fathomer

Thanks for the input. Ease of building not an issue as I won’t be doing it, so not a consideration really.

I’m leaning toward the Stans, I’ve given both Crest’s and Arch EX’s in 26″ decent beatings and both stayed true and in one piece. I’m in no rush as I’ve been riding the carbons for a few weeks since doing the damage and it’s got no worse.

To be honest I’m reasonably surprised, and disappointed, I’ve broke the carbons having never broke an alu rim. Though I do ride a bit harder now and the front was a very hard landing on to pointy bedrock.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

DT fo sho

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

That’s fair enough, my point about how easy they are to build was more to do with my experience that a rim that builds into a wheel easily, with little work required to true it, is one that tends to last and stay true much better than one that’s had to be wrangled into a round shape…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I recently cracked (yet another) carbon wheel, so re-laced the hubs with XM481’s.

Obviously heavier, but built up nicely. I would have used either DT/Stan’s or that new Mavic rim. I wasn’t able to get anything else fast enough.

I probably would have built them with Arch’s out of choice, as they are plenty tough enough for general riding, racing enduro & a bit of DH. Also not obsessively wide.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

DT here. ex471 and ex511

transition1
    Free Member

The Mark 3 Stans rims build up so well compared to the old rims, I have been very impressed with them, having built some for a few mates. I haven’t tried the DT Swiss rims yet

NCC

I had pretty much the same dilemma 12 months ago. Had decided on Stans but couldn’t get hold of any, so went with XM481’s. They’ve been spot on. No dings despite lots of rocky Calderdale/Peaks ridden with a severe lack of skill and I haven’t even touched them with a spoke key yet..

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for DT rims.

I’m running EX511’s on my DH bike with no issues so far. They seem to be tough as.

The DT wheels on my stolen Stanton were great too; stiff and no dings despite low pressures and a slightly clumsy riding style.

scaled
    Free Member

EX471s and FR570s here.

Only wheels i’ve not managed to kill with repeated blunt force trauma*. I had to resort to sending a mech through the spokes to bend one out of shape.

*i was literally doing a rim every 2-3 months, including carbon. My 471/570 combo lasted over a year with only one truing session.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Rim Time, Stans v DT’ is closed to new replies.