• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by km79.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New rim choice
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Pondering my next MTB purchase and I’m wondering about some different rims. Currently have some wide carbon derby 30/35mm rims and always been happy enough with them. However, have been reading recently about how carbon rims although being stiff should also be compliant to actually give some feedback. At only 58kgs I don’t think its possible to get that with carbon rims. I’m also fairly paranoid every time I go through a super rocky section having already written one rim off from a sidewards impact from a rock strike.

So if you were buying new, what rim would you buy? Must be able to buy them rim only so that I can get them built on to my Chris King hubs.

Money I guess no object but equally I’m not going to buy enve rims knowing they’re carbon and I’d never ride them anywhere because of the same carbon impact risk!!

danti

Stans Arch Mk3 if you’re running tyres between 2.2 and 2.5” wide.
    Or DT Swiss XM421.

Both more than capable of standing up to your lack of weight

hatter

If you’re only 58kgs you’ll definitely be good with lighter rims.

If you want a full 30 mm width the XM 481’s will be great if you don’t need the width and want to go properly light try the new XR 391’s, they’re XC race rims but 25 mm wide.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you are selling and they are 29er I’m interested

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nobl rims. Apparently for R&D they were taken to a place in France where carbon life span was in runs and they survived a week before going home.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Want to go more for Alu than Carbon so that I dont have the same worries about sidewards rock strikes.

hatter

If you’re really that much of a rim killer maybe go for EX 511’s.

damascus
    Free Member

However, have been reading recently about how carbon rims although being stiff should also be compliant to actually give some feedback

Forget about what the industry tells you about what you need.

Do you like your current rims? Do you need new rims? We’re you already thinking the rims were dead and un responsive before you started googling?

km79
    Free Member

Currently have some wide carbon derby 30/35mm rims and always been happy enough with them.

Then keep using them and save your money for something you actually need.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New rim choice’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts