Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • New (revised) Solaris
  • NormalMan

Thought this might be of interest:

Cotic Solaris

whitestone
    Free Member

Hmm, want one. Hang on I’ve already got a Mk1.

Definitely interested in a 27.5+ front wheel/tyre though.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Love my Mk1 and like the look of the changes made. Although for me it’s not enough to ditch my current frame and buy a Mk2. I would have liked Cotic to have gone 142×12 too.

Absolute amazing bike though and with those geo and clearance changes probably even better. Even more trail orientated 29er with a bigger rear tyre clearance and slacker HA and then switch it up in winter to run as a half-fat bike.

Think I’m talking myself into it….I’d quite like an Orange one now 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I like that colour too 😆

Edit: My wife will read this and go, no, no …. no. 😳

roverpig

Is the green the same as the old bikes? It looks brighter. It also looks pretty cool with those 650B+ tyres.

core

I like it, sounds good to me, more tyre clearance can’t be a bad thing, seems to be a regular gripe of solaris ownership on here, what with having to modify front mech etc.

I wish the wrap around decal was complete.

swanny853

Without discussing the bike itself, I’d just like to note that it makes me happier than it should that the cotic website now gives geometry information in both imperial and metric, therefore making comparisons with other bikes easier!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I wonder how much frame a BOS Dizzy fork would be? Although I’m sure I could source a RS Pike for a lot less and reduce to 120mm.

How much do you think my Mk1 Large in Green, Fox 32 Float 100 and a Hope ProII / Stans Arch Ex rolling chassis would go for?

Just thinking about options 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

I would have liked Cotic to have gone 142×12 too.

there was a cotic-email-vote-thing on this, general feeling was that a through-axle on a hardtail was a bit ott.

(added weight and cost, for little or no benefit)

cy

Thru axle blurb here:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2015/thruaxlehardtail

Green is same as the current bike, updated with the new decal designs.

roverpig

Damn, I’ll have to think of a different reason to upgrade my Mk 1 then 🙂

MSP

I like it, I would have preferred 142×12 as well, also would like to see a solo version again. I think a singlespeed would be my preferred build for this.

nuke

All the sizes aside the small have gone longer in the TT…I was hoping the small would get an increased TT (Like the Soul 27.5 with its whopping 23.5″ eTT) as I like the short seattube of the small so I can use a 125mm dropper but needed it to be just a bit longer TT. Shame 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks good, looks a bit longer and lower than the previous version (which never really appealed since all the ones I saw were built with loads of gears, long forks, dropper posts etc.)

Cotic should refresh their colours/image though. Back in the day, the bright coloured hardtails were almost unique, now everyone seems to own one and they’ve become a bit tired looking. Definitely need some painted in dark blues/reds/greys. This is coming from someone with a good sense of aesthetic, and a cutting edge wardrobe.

whitestone
    Free Member

The Duck Egg Blue and Gritstone are nicely understated, like you I think a few more like that are needed. Not all colours are available on all models though.

MSP

The custard yellow was always my favourite colour.

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

I will be ordering one for my first ever build but will wait until they are in stock. I’d like to have an orange but don’t like the gritstone cotic decal so will join the masses and plump for green.

simon_g

Went to page, no 142×12, no stealth dropper routing 🙁

Looks like I saved £500 by keeping my Stache for a bit longer.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I didn’t pick up at first on the 27.5+ options. That is of much interest to me.

I like the idea of a fatbike that is a little slimmer than the full on 5″ tyre. The Scott Scale is a bit off but this is perfect timing.

rOcKeTdOg

How’d they run with 130mm forks? I’ve got one in the shed see, are the pics in the website with scraper rims or only the i35s?

bikeneil
    Free Member

It gives details at the bottom of each pic:

WTB 275 Plus Option, Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, WTB Asym i35 (front) i29 (rear) rims, Trailblazer 27.5 x 2.8 Tyres, BOS Dizzy Fork Upgrade (stock bike has X Fusion Trace)

roverpig

Why would you put an Asym (Asymmetric) rim on the front? Isn’t the whole point of asymmetric rims to balance spoke tension on the rear, or am I missing something ?

sillyoldman

Front wheels often have a less even spoke tension than rears due to the disc mount making the front flange spacing asymmetric and on the rear closer to being symmetric by pushing the non-drive flange inboard.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Cy, when you tested the 27+ (or whatever they are called!) And sent out the email were they tested on the old or new Solaris? I have a set of 660b arch ex’s but not sure if the rims would be wide enough for the big wtb tyres?

nemesis
    Free Member

They’d probably work but would be a bit squirmy if you run lower pressures (which is kind of the point)

This thread I stated may be of interest to those after info on what works for 650b+

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/650b-and-other-plus-sizes-if-you-like-rim-tyre-frame-fork-combinations

FOG

Oh no! I was still dithering between Sherpa and Solaris, this seems to decide it. A big plus for me is that it comes in orange so hopefully will be mistaken by the Home Office for the existing Soul.
    No 142×12 is good too as my wheels have non convertible hubs .

daveh
    Free Member

A big plus for me is that it comes in orange so hopefully will be mistaken by the Home Office for the existing Soul.

😆

honourablegeorge

simon_g – Member
    Went to page, no 142×12, no stealth dropper routing

I think cy’s argument regarding 12×142 is a pretty good one. Stealth dropper is a bit of a miss though.

roverpig

Can somebody summarise the differences from the Mk 1 for the terminally lazy umongst us. I’m getting: 5mm longer chainstays (for extra tyre clearance), 1 degree slacker head angle and a bit (not sure how much) longer top tube. Is that it ?

roverpig

OK, I’ve done a bit more staring at the geometry charts to answer my own question (looking at a large with a 120mm fork). As far as I can tell, if you stuck a 1 degree angleset on the Mk1, you’d have the same head angle and same seat angle. BB would drop a bit, so probably pretty much the same too. I think the only difference with the Mk 2 would be 2mm longer chainstays and 5mm longer top tube.

ryderredman
    Free Member

I’ve just paid the earth for an XL mk1, as they didn’t do XL themselves, now they’ve gone and released them in XL! And its slacker 🙁

jeffl

Yeah it’s good to see the XL size has made a comeback for us freakishly tall folk.

boxelder

Where does it mention extra clearance?
    I believe the 650b+ testing was done with Mk 1 frames and Scraper/KOM i25 rims – not sure they have their hands on the Asym rims yet (hopefully Cy will be along to clear this up).

NormalMan

Given that we had tweaked the new Solaris to have slightly more clearance out back

Quote from Cotic email.

Paul-j

No XL in green sadly.
    may have to go with the orange then.

retrobri
    Free Member

The price drop on the original is sucking me in! My Swift frame quivering in the corner right now!

boxelder

Given that we had tweaked the new Solaris to have slightly more clearance out back

Hmmm – not really clear from their site. Rim and tyre on the way, so we’ll see.

NormalMan

@boxelder
    I think it is that many on here got the information from the Cotic email newsletter (which had the above quote).

NormalMan

That info is now on the News page:
    Cotic News page

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New (revised) Solaris’ is closed to new replies.