Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New retro/old watch (nothing fancy content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My uncle gave me this old Casio (accepted over a Seiko like this with cracked crystal http://coreyl.wikidot.com/local–files/blog:32/seiko2.jpg)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/saNNBD]DSC00054[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

Turns out it’s got some coolness having been worn by Arnie in some of his worst films :mrgreen: Collection now sitting at 8 inc a Record De Luxe, 4 Swatches, Seiko 7002-700J A1 diver (which this might replace) and 5T52 6A40 A6, plus my dad’s 50s auto Certina (unrepairable, no spares), same uncles auto Seiko (ditto).

I love old watches!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey not even a post from Countzero referencing his Seiko? :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

No retro cheap watch fans around recently then?

stevied
    Free Member

Ooh, I had one of them. Absolutely bomb proof. Really nice watch, bought it when I was 17, wore it every day for about 15 years. Only weakness was when I lost it…the strap degraded and split when I was in morzine.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve started getting into watches and have added a couple of Tissot automatics from the late 60’s – early 70’s. Not expensive (under £100 each) but nice bits of kit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

REPLIES!

:love:

Oooh…links, Steve?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t have a picture of mine but the one I’m wearing at the moment is the same as this one:

epicsteve
    Free Member

The other one looks like this:

The one I have uses an action shared with Omega.

camo16
    Free Member

As an old watch fetishist myself, I’m enjoying this one…

Mine is this (but black):

Festina, natch.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Nice.

I’m trying to decide what next but I quite fancy a Bulova from the 1950’s or earlier, or maybe a 70’s or so Rado.

jeffc

I love a nice old watch. Here’s a few of mine

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nice faded bezel, but is that a dodgy re-lume on the sub?

rickmeister

Al, it might be repairable… I followed a recommendation from on here to the watch guy …

http://watchguy.co.uk/

It was a bit of a punt putting a Rolex in a 5 Euro jiffy bag but it was the best thing I have done for a while.

Great service, photos of my watch being repaired and fair pricing. Christian is a really nice chap to work with too. He does mechanicals only, no quartz, copy watches etc etc.

jeffc

No relume on sub MrSmith – this is from 1966, a short period where the lume is known for it’s toothpaste like qualities. Looks fine on the wrist except at high magnification it does look a bit untidy.

IHN

I’ve got some nice retro watches, and I meant to take some photos at the weekend to stick on here, but I forgot 🙁

Let’s just say I’m a fan of old Seikos, with the odd random Russian Raketa dropped in.

ourmaninthenorth

Love the Casio diver Al. Super retro!

JeffC has good taste – original Explorer so much nicer than the modern “too small hands” version.

Klunk
    Free Member

so the “nothing fancy” went out the window pretty quickly then 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Here’s my other old watch. Not worth much but I really like it. Left to me by my great uncle. Interesting fact, it was made/registered in the same month/year I was born 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Cheap retro oddities?

I’ve got one of these kicking about somewhere:

Not worn it in a while, but it keeps good time for a hand-wind mechanism.

CountZero

Blimey not even a post from Countzero referencing his Seiko?

This is more about retro/old watches, I’m not sure it counts; I’ll probably be dead by the time it’s classed as ‘old’! 😀
    This one is, sort of, around forty years old:

I was ‘watching’ one on eBay, (see what I did there? 😉 ), and it looks like it went for a bit over €1000, £890-ish.
    It’s the only Yema I like the look of, most of them from that period are pretty tacky; faux-wood panels on the dial and the like. They seem to have a bit of a following, though.
    Good movement, keeps good time, provided I wind it up!

tetchypete
    Free Member

Ooh, I like that a lot ??

derek_starship
    Free Member

My Constellation F300Hz. A tuning fork regulated watch circa. 1973.

Oh, nothing fancy.My first G Shock bought on a whim in 1993.

Beagleboy

How can they be classed as old when they’re digital? Digital is like the coolest, newest thing out there!

Anyway, some nice watches on show, but I don’t need one, partly because I generally break them within a few months, but mostly because…..

Yup, I’m Batman!

C. 😉

hora
    Free Member

That Yema is awesome

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had been meaning to post a pic of my little collection:

I’m a recent convert to watch wearing but have got a few now. The only expensive(ish) one is the Tag which was a present from my wife – as were the next two most expensive (not that either were!), the little Bulova and the Garmin 220. Everyday wear at the moment is the Tissot automatic on the far left because I’ve lost weight since getting the Tag and haven’t got around to getting the strap adjusted yet.

The Bulova is a recent addition and is the oldest by far – from 1937. The silver Tissot is the same age as me (from the late 60’s) and the blue faced on is from the early 70’s.

The cheapest watch (about £15 I think) is an Indian HMT automatic.

CountZero

The Yema has a Valjoux 7736 movement, shared with Breitling watches of the period, apparently. Later ones had Seiko quartz movements, current ones have Citizen auto movements. There’s a current Rallygraf, similar in style, but not the same.
    Still gets worn regularly, which is more than can be said for my TAG Series 1000…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well my Casio appears to randomly lose 10 minutes or so now and again 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New retro/old watch (nothing fancy content)’ is closed to new replies.