Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New rear tyre needed
  • rascal
    Free Member

Wtb Trailboss Light got 2 sidewall holes in Lakes this weekend – suspected they might not hold up too well anyway – stock tyres on New Whyte. Need good all rounder to replace it…HR2, Hans Dampfs, AN OTHER? Btw since when do tubeless tyres cost in excess of £60 as seen in several Lakes bike shops? Bonkers!

hainman
    Free Member

Another for the DHR2

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maxxis EXO hasn’t served me well in the lakes, so I avoid them on the rear now.

Spesh butcher grid, or slaughter if you don’t mind a wee drift, trail boss in tough fast have done me well too.

kimbers

If exo is enough chunky monkey or smorg are great tyres, smorg on the rear is quite impressive

rascal
    Free Member

What’s the best Hans Dampf for general trail riding?
    There’s a lot of compounds and sidewalls to negotiate!
    A few of you have mentioned Minions…always had it in my head they were DH tyres…no downsides to these for aggressive trail riding?

vincienup
    Free Member

Dampfs have changed to funny stripy colours and doubled in price recently.

The older models: ‘performance’ is cheap nasty and hard. Trailstar is sticky and natural front. Pacestar is harder and natural rear. Supergravity is doublewall sides and single tread – 3/4 of a DH carcass if you like. Weighs over a kilo if that matters. Can be any of the available compounds. Snakeskin Evo (possibly with TLEasy added) is the normal ‘good’ folding carcass with Trailstar or Pacestar tread compound. There’s Vertstar too, which I believe is stickier than a very sticky thing and probably unnecessary drag. Snakeskin Evo is standard UK, Supergravity for places you expect ripped walls.

I can see why they wanted to simply the names. Once you get past the coloured stripes of the new ones they’ve basically nicked WTB’s simple ‘fast/grippy light/tough’ system which is far more understandable.

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers Vince…I do actually like the Vigilante up front. They do a Tough casing too so wondering if that will do for the back. HR2 3C seems like a goer too.

vincienup
    Free Member

I have tough Vigilantes on both ends of my Solaris non-plus wheelset. I like them lots 🙂 I just wish they did a tough/grippy 29er…

rossburton
    Free Member

If you like the Trail Boss apart from getting ripped, get the Tough version instead?

vincienup
    Free Member

Tough Trailboss is also a good rear shout, but I found doesn’t work well in sloppy mud (better than RockRazor though). TBH, I still have last winters’ Vigilante on the back… 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Woulda Shorty/ Minion combo be good fir this time of year?

Northwind

I really like the dhr2 but exo isn’t that tough. Tougher than a WTB light, but only a little.

Onzadog
    Free Member

what about the DHR II in a DoubleDown?

jonnym92

I avoid EXO on the rear nowadays. Not tough enough.
    I have a DHR II double down, I slashed it on some Lakes slate, but in fairness I think any tyre would have been cut by it. Patched it up and it’s held tubeless. It’s a good tyre.
    What I’m not impressed with is the durability. Bought in April, 3C Maxxterra compound. The corner tread is crumbling and the centre tread is peeling away. The bike has been used but I’d expect longer from this tyre, since it cost around £50.
    Will probably give WTB a go next. Convict and Vigilante look good.

oikeith

I’ve just put a spesh butcher grid on the rear and its doing really well, grips really well when lent over, has good traction when braking and doesnt feel draggy at all compared to the Hans Dampft Pacestar I ran last year!

rascal
    Free Member

Choosing tyres is a bloody minefield!
    Having read opinions, reviews etc I’ve discounted Hans Dampf and am torn between the HR2 3C Exo and the WTB Vigilante Tough Fast…surely I’m not alone in faffing when it comes to making a decision?!

oldtalent
    Free Member

wtb breakout heavy/fast rear. 33quid or so.

rascal
    Free Member

Went for the HR2 3c Exo – local Leisure Lakes price matched Wiggle’s £49 on Tues…Wiggle then dropped to £42 yesterday. Bugger.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New rear tyre needed’ is closed to new replies.