Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New Rear Shock / Frame Strangeness help?!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so got a new SC 5010, with a kashima float DPS shock, noticed its got a bit of a knock in/around the shock area

had a feel of it whislt still attached to frame and theres a bit of play on the front bushes, and the rear, along with a audible knock and also knock you can feel (side to side play)

so I took the shock out, and still feel the play in my hand with just the shock, but more concerning/worrying the bushes both popped out with the slightest of force by my finger, both the front and rear ones!

now from my understanding, bushings are a tight fit and you cant really move them with force unless you have a tool, let alone with the slightest of touch of a finger, so whats happening? any ideas? frame brand new, shock was new with frame? pretty stumped!

JackHammer

Send/take it back?

poah
    Free Member

back to the shop

BoardinBob

so got a new SC 5010

How new is new? New as in you’ve not ridden it at all and the play is there, or you have ridden it and the play has developed?

I’ve worn through brand new “heavy duty” shock mounts from Mojo in 2 days in the alps

legend
    Free Member

Did the bushes really pop out or do you mean the reducers? If the bushes popped out the liklihood is that the shock eyelet is ovalised, and there aint much fixing that

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

that’s what came out by simply pushing with tip of finger, on the front and back

it was brand new unridden brand new, 1.5 weeks old brand new 🙂

obviously will be sent to mojo/shop but wondered what exactly it is, it doesn’t appear to be the wrong size from factory (as SC supplied the shock from new)

just cant really understand why its all loose inside, bushings are usually a mega tight fit, so its no wonder theres some knock/play I can feel/hear If I can push it out easily with a finger

BoardinBob

Aye, back to the shop then!

legend
    Free Member

The black reducer came out? Pretty sure they are easy to push out on that setup

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really? ive never been able to push out the black reducers out by hand before on any shock ever? always needs pressing in and taking out with a tool or similar, for a totally secure snug fit

andybrad

yea always thought they were a sliding fit

legend
    Free Member

Yeah think so. Got a Fox shock with that setupnin the house so will have a look. Remember it shouldn’t be solid though, the shock needs to pivot around the reducer

sofaboy73
    Free Member

on the newer lower friction bushings (like the yellow / cream fox ones in your photo) it’s pretty easy to push the reducers in and out by hand / just finger pressure. I can do it easily on my X2 with TF tuned low friction bushes. is it definitely the right size mounting kit? could the knocking when fitted to the frame come from the wrong internal diameter on the reducers (do SC still use od size bolts)?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Interesting then, sounds possible its semi nomral maybe they become harder to remove over time

Ive never had to take a shock off after a week so maybe so easy as its new

So is a little bit of play normal on the shock when its fitted in the frame? It makes a klunk/knock type noise with the slight movement side to side, althiugh i guess the noise could be internally in the shock as the danping isnt overly apparent either 🙁

sofaboy73
    Free Member

So is a little bit of play normal on the shock when its fitted in the frame? It makes a klunk/knock type noise with the slight movement side to side, althiugh i guess the noise could be internally in the shock as the danping isnt overly apparent either

no, very much sounds like you have got the wrong size mounting kit (all the black bits in your photo) was the bike brand new, if so take it back to the shop. if not give TF tuned a call and get the right size kit

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Shop is 4 hours away 😆

But yeh brand new frame/shock

Its minimal play but play all the same and at both ends which you wouldnt expect from new

Fwiw my old x2 i had just over a year and only changed the lower redcuers/etc a month before selling, so they should be lasting me a long time not 1.5 weeks from new so it sounds like it is the wrong size or something else in the frame is not aligned

legend
    Free Member

Does it have the small black washers and rubber rings as per the photo up there^ ? If they are missing it will go side to side, if the reducer is too short it will go side to side also. Easy to tell though, take the reducer out and offer it up to the shock mount on the frame, should be a reasonably tight fit (but the shock bolt will pull the faces together slightly when being properly mounted)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep has the 2 small o rings and two plastic end caps as well as the tube, so all things are there indeed

ill have a look at that later, got a mates shock to try tonight so it will confirm either way if its the shock or something else 🙂

will report back

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Well reporting back my suspension mate sorted it (slickandslide cheshire check him out!)

The 4 white bushings were out of tolerance by .3mm or similar compared to a brand new set designed for my shock

So either a bad batch or dodgy machinary which mojo said either was possible from time to time

Even the cream bushings fell out by hand easily

Was apparent when putting the new ones in they had to be properly pushed in and the same for all the other bits too, its now fully in secure and no movement or play at all, cant remove any of the bits by hand now, they had to be pressed in like all other shocks ive had

And this is an exact same kit as was already in, so yeah weird one but all sorted now with no movement at all

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Good to hear you got it sorted and it was the cheapest fix of all the possible options. Never heard of new bushes being out of tolerance, but good to know as it’s nots something I’d ever think about if I came across a similar issue, which would lead to much frustration

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep luckily one of my mates is a suspension service guy so really knows his stuff, he spotted it straight away

all the black bits are/were the correct size, it was just literally the bushings them self out, theres no way they’ve worn in 4 rides, especially given the front end one basically doesn’t move either, and that was the one that had most play, but it did worry me it could be a frame issue, but all good now fortunately 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New Rear Shock / Frame Strangeness help?!’ is closed to new replies.