Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New rear mech, XT Or Zee
  • captaindanger

Time has come for a new mech, will be 1×10 so I only need short cage. Any advantages in the xt over zee, or is it just the letters? Weight is the same, both change gear….

honourablegeorge

Zee has shorter cage, XT better quality IME

spacehopper

the Zee has a back plate made of soft cheese… (it bent in a very minor spill..)
    and i found it right at its limits of comfort on an 11-36

XT every time for me..
    much more solid back plate and the medium cage copes better with an 11-36..

richmtb

XT. If you are running 11-36 and have any amount of chain growth Zee might struggle.

You get proper bearings on the jockey wheels too

superstu
    Free Member

Useful replies as I’m about to buy as the same, thanks

chiefgrooveguru

There isn’t a short cage XT, only medium. But as the (super) short Zee can’t handle 11-36 plus reasonable chain growth I’d go medium cage – and buy SLX instead!

tmb467
    Free Member

XT if you ever plan to run an extender on it

In fact XT every time – zee is just awful build quality

Edit: just to add to CGG’s post – for the cost of XT over SLX I’d pay it just to get decent jockey wheels and a better clutch. You may decide otherwise cos SLX is still good value (basically medium cage Zee)

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve had all three, XT all day long,then Slx, zee last. XT worth the couple extra quid for the jockey wheels alone.

captaindanger

Great, thanks, there’s certainly a consensus on this one!

mindmap3
    Free Member

My how Zee mechs seem to be lasting pretty well and work loads better than the Sram clutch mechs that I was running before. Both are run with an 11-36 cassette and one on a full suss. They’re so cheap, if owt happens I won’t be that bothered.

chiefgrooveguru

What’s the benefit of bearings in jockey wheels over bushes? I presume they spin a fraction easier but they don’t seem to like wet weather as much!

motozulu
    Free Member

Last Zee I had on a 1×10, 11-36 was faultless.

bluebird
    Free Member

But as the (super) short Zee can’t handle 11-36 plus reasonable chain growth

This is interesting, what’s reasonable chain growth? A few of us run 11-36 with a Zee short cage on different full suss bikes without any problems.

captaindanger

I have 11-36 on a helius AC and have not noticed any chain growth issues. Generally won’t be in a low gear if the suspension is being used through much I its travel so I suspect it may be a theoretical issue not borne out in the practicality of riding the bike

perthmtb
    Free Member

for the cost of XT over SLX I’d pay it just to get decent jockey wheels and a better clutch

Just like to point out that the clutch is exactly the same in XT SLX Saint Zee and Deore. Only XTR gets a slightly different design of clutch.

continuity
    Free Member

I replaced an XT non-clutch with a Zee clutch, swapped the jockey wheels over when I did it and sold the XT.

I haven’t noticed anything but a quieter drive-train since. No issues with chain growth at all on an 11-36 and 32t. Might throw a 40t into the mix and see how it does, but I’d probably need a new chain.

I haven’t taken the bike to the alps and thrown the mech into any rocks though, so I can’t comment on the strength.

astrozombies
    Free Member

My zee coped *okay* with an 11-36 1×10 set up, but lots of chain slappage in top gear.

Now i’ve gone 11-40 i need a longer cage, so have bought a mid cage XT.

That’s on a spesh enduro ’12 with reasonable chain growth

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 Zee mechs on my bikes, not had a problem with any of them. The one on the hardtail has coped with all manner of mud and crap in the last 3 months too.

tmb467
    Free Member

perthmtb – Member
    for the cost of XT over SLX I’d pay it just to get decent jockey wheels and a better clutch
    Just like to point out that the clutch is exactly the same in XT SLX Saint Zee and Deore. Only XTR gets a slightly different design of clutch.

apologies for my poor memory…you are of course correct

old posts

perthmtb
    Free Member

apologies for my poor memory…you are of course correct

old posts

Ha! I’d forgotten about that thread. I got a bit excited about it back then didn’t I – must’ve been off my meds 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New rear mech, XT Or Zee’ is closed to new replies.