Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • new rear mech – which is better?
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

what would be better, both new and the same price…
    Both 9 speed

XT m761
    Deore M592 shadow

chriswilk
    Free Member

anyone?
    it’s for my daughter’s bike so the extra rock protection of the shadow is not really relevant.
    Which will shift smoother for longer??

andyl
    Free Member

I have an LX M580 or something which is basically the XT one above but when they shifted the technology down to the range below and introduced a new XT range.

I MUCH prefer it to my later style XT shadow. Just seems crisper. I have also fitted some older 2nd hand XT models to friends bikes and they still work very well.

Maybe my XT shadow is a bit passed it’s best (was 2nd hand) compared to my LX (owned from new and looked after) so I can’t say for sure but I would go with the older XT if the shadow aspect is not important. Also have the same LX one on the OHs Specialized and it works lovely and crisp too.

One thing to remember though is you need a longer cable and outer cable for the non-shadow so swapping from a shadow often needs a new cable. Personally though I stick with shadow type on my bike that sees more chance of hitting something or catching the cable loop and live with the clunkiness.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Ta,
    replacing an older XT non-shadow anyway.
    Thinking to go for the XT.

ahwiles
    Free Member

(if google images serves me correctly)

the XT m761 mech uses ‘rear entry’ cabling* – which means the cable has to loop around, which can lead to more friction.

in my humble experience, shadow mechs seem less affected by muck and neglect.

(*you can stop sniggering now)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘new rear mech – which is better?’ is closed to new replies.