Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New project….29er singlespeed content
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

Finally been almost put together… some tweaking to come in the next few weeks mainly on the stem bars front. Let the flaming commence!

Cheezpleez

Nice – you’re going to have fun on that. What are the cranks?

The stem looks long and low.

I have similar but rigid with Swift forks. It’s an amazing frame for the money.

RoterStern
    Free Member

What are the cranks?
    They’re some top secret prototype steel cranks which are allegedly lighter than XTR. They are made by a good friend of mine and I am the test guinea pig so to speak. I am known for breaking things you see so if they survive me for a year that gives them some real kudos! 😉

takisawa2

You’re clearly a very big chap, so it looks spot on to me. 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

6’2″ in stilettos!! I am possibly one of the few who make a 29er look in proportion. 😳

Clink

Nice bike! I have the same set-up as Cheezpleez.

shortcut

Looks good but those bars look a little low for comfort! And are you sure dropper posts are legal on singlespeed 29ers?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Like I said the bars and stem may get changed. The forks I bought second hand so I was stuck with that length of steerer but we worked out that there should be enough height for me.

One thing that has come up though is with the rear brake mount. My friend who helped build it up couldn’t get the 180 or a 160 rotor to fit using a standard adapter and he has had to use his ingenuity to knock something up that fits. Is this a common problem with this frame? My other Inbred is with slidey drop-outs and they are a breeze to set up. Also he reckons getting the rear wheel out is going to be a real hassle as the caliper is exactly where you need to push the wheel to lessen the tension on the chain. Anyone got any tips on what you have to do?

fenred
    Free Member

My friend who helped build it up couldn’t get the 180 or a 160 rotor to fit using a standard adapter and he has had to use his ingenuity to knock something up that fits. Is this a common problem with this frame?

Really? I’ve had BB7 160mm Rear (apparently they never fit, that’s bollox!) and shimano 160mm both standard mounts in 2 slot drop out 29er inbreds (19.5″), bit of faff with the BB7’s but all worked out well, get the chain length right and it’ll all go together…What was the issue?

takisawa2

Putting a Gravity Dropper on my steel ss made the ride a bit harsh.
    Obviously this was tested in a dark tunnel, at night.

vorlich
    Free Member

I had to shim my rear caliper on my Scandal with similar dropouts.

fenred
    Free Member

No direct pics of brake mounts but living proof, no mods and unshimmed…

nimo
    Free Member

I have one the same as the “hearing aid beige” one above, but with green chromotos. Absolutley flipping brilliant, at the moment it is my only bike and is very rarely left wanting. It has really made me think long and hard about the the real value of anything else. It will be joined by a fat bike at some point soon though……. enjoy it

RoterStern
    Free Member

.What was the issue?

We only spoke about if briefly and the bike wasn’t to hand for him to show me, but I have Shimano SLX brakes 180 front and rear. He said he tried them but couldn’t get them to fit properly with rotor so he looked at the 160 and it was the same issue. As far as I know he’s had to use a lot of shims. Do you have issues with rear wheel removal fenred?

Cheezpleez

I have a 160 rotor and Hayes Stroker Trail caliper on mine. No issues whatsoever

fenred
    Free Member

No issues rotor stern, I had to use a half link to get the axle into the right position (4or 5mm back from max insertion in dropout) and the correct chain tension and it’s spot on, undo axle, punch wheel forward, derail chain then pulls straight out, that was the only faffage I had, certainly no issues with brake mounts. If you need a half link I think I got my3/32 from SJS IIRC…HTH

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’d ride the shit outta that

Kal
    Free Member

What’s the dropper post you are running?

rOcKeTdOg

crossmark on the front, I take it you have dental insurance?

johnnystorm

My £99 special arrives tomorrow. It’s not going to have any remotely nice bits on it though! 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Dropper post is a KS Lev, practically the only decent post that comes in 27.2. Crossmarks on the front? Hell yeah! I actually rate them. Been running them for a few years on my 26 race bike and I find them fast and predictable. 29er version can only offer better grip.

dnc29
    Free Member

Is a crossmark on the front that bad??
    Bike looks really good

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That looks chuffin fast!

RoterStern
    Free Member

So I’ve messed about a bit with the seat height and stem so the are almost exactly the same as the 26 Inbred SS.

Here is the bodge job to get the calipers to sit right.

The cranks

From the other side

paul4stones

I had a 2006 slidey dropout 29er that I sold to a friend. He’s upgraded to a Scandal and I’m seriously tempted to buy it back 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Is a crossmark on the front that bad??

it’ll be fine on canal tow paths and commuting.

Nice bike, I had alsorts of problems fitting brakes to the two inbreds I had.

The cranks remind me of the old redline ones.

will
    Free Member

Very nice! What size is it?

I’ve just picked up a £99 special, can’t wait to build it up, although i’ll be running rigid.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Very nice! What size is it?

The 20 inch version.
    Actually after a test ride or two I decided that the gearing was a little too fat to get up the steeper climbs I ride and so now have a 32:18 which miraculously has solved the rear caliper problems too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New project….29er singlespeed content’ is closed to new replies.