Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New Printer Buying Advice, PLEASE.
  • bigblackshed

It’s new printer time in the Shed.

ATM I’ve got a Kodak ESP 3250 all-in-one scanner, copier, printer. The scanner and copier functions are top drawer. The printer side of things, not so great. I’ve never managed to get the colour quality up to scratch, the red is always lacking. Cleaned print heads, etc.

The biggest problem is the ink raping I take. The cartridges are full of ink, but it runs on a page count. One swipe of the printhead on start up, one “page” off the counter. Print a page with one word on it, one “page” off the counter. The scanner won’t work without working ink cartridges. If the colour cartridge “runs out”, then no function at all until it’s replaced.

It’s a well known problem with Kodak printers. There are no known work rounds or bodges. There has even been a Class Act Lawsuit in the States to bring Kodak to account over false advertising.

I was looking at the HP printers in Currys with this print plan, where they send you ink based on a fixed price plan. But I’ve struggled to get any real world feedback.

So, recommendations please Oh, Wise Ones of STW.

PS: It must play nicely with Apple.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Canon MG series, whichever one is in your budget.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Do it all at work, unless this is your work. I have nothing more to add.

oldnpastit

What about one of those Epson refillable printers?

The initial cost is quite high, but then you just fill it up with ink, rather than buying fabulously expensive cartridges.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/epson-eco-tank-823-commercial.html

Disclaimer: I’ve not tried one myself yet.

kwack
    Free Member

Epson Xp-710 wireless all in one printer here. Cartridges whichever company selling them cheap at the time I need. Never buy genuine cartridges as far too expensive.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Canon for the win – mine just warns me it thinks the ink has run out but will happily keep printing with it until it actually does run out months later.

Unlike the previous Epson which won’t print once it thinks a cartridge is empty, including not printing a simple black and white letter if, say, the cyan is on it’s last legs (or half full to normal people…).

cp

Canon mg6450 here. Blimmin brilliant, and very cheap ink from first call inks in amazon…. 13.50 for two full sets of xl inks. I’ve been using them for years in other printers and they are very good.

robdob
    Free Member

I bought a HP wireless printer/scanner thingy, I just use non-branded cartridges (you get a warning when you use them but that’s it). It was only £70 but the photo printing has been remarkable on photo paper and it works brilliantly. No reason to spend more for most householders I reckon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New Printer Buying Advice, PLEASE.’ is closed to new replies.