Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • New phone time
  • Cougar

Very, so ignoring the gmail bug is really bad.

No arguments here if that’s the case. What version of Android is it?

Incidentally, going back to the OP,

Really liked the Iphone,

You don’t have to upgrade just because you can. Going from the 3GS to the 4 is evolution rather than revolution, I’d be tempted to drop to a SIM-only tariff (£10 / month + £5 data bolt-on) and save a few hundred quid.

Drac

No arguments here if that’s the case. What version of Android is it?

Be the one before current upgrade, so maybe just maybe 2.1 has fixed it.

Can’t prise the bloody thing out of the Mrs hand to upgrade it to 2.1 though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Thanks for your interesting contribution.

You’re more than welcome 8)

But seriously, do tech-gadgets like phones and laptops really inspire that degree of enthusiasm ?
    I’m genuinely surpirsed that’s all, not trying to be offensive……..

GrahamS

> Over the air. tadaaaaa.
    Yeah. TBH, if you’re looking to promote the iPhone then software synchronisation really isn’t the best example. (-:

Actually what I was snidely getting at was that backup/restores are a great feature that iTunes brings in.

If I have a brand new iPhone because my last one got upgraded/nicked/destroyed-in-a-freak-knitting-accident then I can plug it into iTunes and it will say something along the lines of “Hey a new phone. Do you want me to restore ‘Graham’s iPhone’ to it?”

Selecting that essentially gives me back my old phone. Everything is restored: music, movies, photos, apps, contacts, books, uploaded documents, browser favourites, all settings for the phone and all apps, text messages, custom dictionary, ringtones, alarms etc etc.

Unless things have changed recently Android doesn’t do this. It only backs up a tiny fraction of the phone contents. Not that I’d fancy waiting while 32GB was backed-up/restored “Over the air.”

tadaaaaa. 🙂

dh
    Free Member

HTC Desire here, like it but camera aint that hot….

Wife has a MS 7 one, samsung thing very nice. Lot of folk say WM7 is gash, but most of them aint actually used it. V nice interface and lovely screen. Folk bang on about no copy and paste, but its easy to live without it until the update next month. Maybe worth checking out… Pretty cheap and nicer than my regular desire.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I can’t actually remember the last time I plugged my phone into a computer. If I want to put music on it or get photos off it I just switch the WiFi on and browse to a network drive

Currently looking at phones for MrsM, so if we are getting into the detail:

1) How do you sync an iPhone with Outlook?
    2) How do you sync an iPhone to your iTunes music library which is on a different machine to the one with Outlook on

Drac

But seriously, do tech-gadgets like phones and laptops really inspire that degree of enthusiasm ?
    I’m genuinely surpirsed that’s all, not trying to be offensive……..

In the same way people get enthusiastic about bikes?

Cougar

HTC Desire here, like it but camera aint that hot….

Ever tried using it with the back cover removed?

If I have a brand new iPhone because my last one got upgraded/nicked/destroyed-in-a-freak-knitting-accident then I can plug it into iTunes and it will say something along the lines of “Hey a new phone. Do you want me to restore ‘Graham’s iPhone’ to it?”

Yep, true enough, had to do the same with the OH’s after she lost it. There was a bit of a frig getting paid-for apps to transfer though, there’s some counter-intuitively worded option or other I had to find. Other than that though, yes, it’s impressive.

Unless things have changed recently Android doesn’t do this.

Well, yes and no. Any data I have that’s of any importance is synced with “the cloud” on the fly. There’s no native “back up my phone” routine, but Android being Android there’s a gamut of application choices to do exactly that.

As well as third party applications (eg, Titanium Backup), some manufacturers bundle PC-hosted backup solutions, and there’s also custom recovery partitions (Nandroid) which can back up to the SD card.

There’s a thing as too much choice of course, so if you just want “the” backup solution rather than confusing options then the iPhone is for you. It’s not for me, because that’s precisely what I don’t want.

Cougar

Currently looking at phones for MrsM, so if we are getting into the detail:

1) How do you sync an iPhone with Outlook?
    2) How do you sync an iPhone to your iTunes music library which is on a different machine to the one with Outlook on

I think the answer in both cases there is simply “you plug it in.” I was talking about Android rather than iPhone in the post you replied to, I’m less sure about the iPhone.

I’m certain it’s doable though. I’ve got a shared calendar running for me and my OH, which between us appears on two copies of Outlook, on Google Calendar, on her iPhone and my HTC Desire. It was a bit of a battle but now that it’s working, it’s working exceptionally well.

JCornford

02 have said they will only offer me the same as a new customer, in fact they tried to use that as a selling fact, for customer loyalty you will be offered the same deals as a new customer! The fact that they are the most expensive up front and give you the least amount of minutes and texts doesn’t matter. When I pointed out that they said that is the best they could do.

Three look sto be the best option if i stay with an Iphone 4.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I’m genuinely surprised that’s all, not trying to be offensive……..

In the same way people get enthusiastic about bikes?

I can understand bikes, but not techware – bikes I interact with dynamically in a ‘whole body and mind’ kind of way, gadgets I just press buttons and they do stuff (hopefully) – anyway, don’t want to impinge on the phone love-in so I’ll save this discussion for another time 😉

Cougar

Be the one before current upgrade, so maybe just maybe 2.1 has fixed it.

What handset is it? 2.2 is current and widespread, 2.3 is surfacing. 2.0 is over a year old now.

Drac

I can understand bikes, but not techware – bikes I interact with dynamically in a ‘whole body and mind’ kind of way, gadgets I just press buttons and they do stuff (hopefully) – anyway, don’t want to impinge on the phone love-in so I’ll save this discussion for another time

That’s my point none cyclist or enthusiast will think you odd for doing that, same we as none technogeeks think some of us are we weird for getting excited about gadgets.

Drac

What handset is it? 2.2 is current and widespread, 2.3 is surfacing. 2.0 is over a year old now.

Sorry not up to scratch with software numbers, Galaxy S.

toys19
    Free Member

love my htc desire hd. might have had a go on an apple but not prepared to pay a massive premium just to be a fanbois. as far as I can see alll the differences are jsut splitting hairs, it takes amazing pics/video, does internet, email, apps, and all the shizzle. I like its open source/hackability..

Cougar

Sorry not up to scratch with software numbers, Galaxy S.

2.2 has been out on the SGS for a couple of months now. You really want to get it upgraded, the stock firmware is dreadful.

Drac

Yeah will do, it wouldn’t let me do anything though when google bug effected it, sorted that but it’s getting it off the Mrs to sort. Seen the 2.2 had come out somewhere and that’s when I decided to fix the google thing. Mrs then went on holiday for a week or so since not had the chance.

I’ll nab it off her tonight when she’s out at Zumba.

Drac

Ah right looked into 2.2.1 is out for Galaxy S came out mid January that’s the one I’d seen. Downloading PC client now so I can do it later.

Cougar

Cunning.

Usual caveat, back it up first (less of an issue if you’re syncing with Google). It might need a factory reset for optimum performance, I’ve usually got away with it but YMMV.

Drac

Backed up but waiting on it charging even with 3/4 it insists on needing to have more charge.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Agree about the SIM only deal. i rang up t-mobile and managed to get put on a 5 pounds a month contract with 300mins/300 texts/internet. might be worth a try if you’re happy with your phone?

I tried android and iphone, both miles better than Windows mobile (the old one) but i went with the iphone as it was just nicer to use.

superfli
    Free Member

How abuot Nokia N8+Symbian. I like mine….
    I’ll come back to this thread in a few hours 😆

Gah – had an N97 Mini on Symbian. It only vaguely resembled a smartphone with it’s lack of features and seeming inability to actually carry out it’s limited features without having a fit.

As for the HTC Desire HD – don’t let me sway anyone. I’m quite happy that no-one else in the pub has one and all the iPhone users take a sneaky peek, then shuffle off to play with an app, whilst grinding their teeth at how good it looks….

GrahamS – Member

It doesn’t matter. Never yet found a site that I need Flash for.

Online copies of ST mag are served as PDF – no Flash required – plus there is a STW iPhone app.
    But not an Android one.

Oh and I’ll take the higher res iPhone screen (960×640) over the “huge screen” (800×480) of the Desire HD any day.

Just because you don’t think you need it, does that make it irrelevant to everyone?

Not a major factor, but you have to download the PDF, rather than view it directly.

The link I posted was to a very contemporary and relevant band.

As a footy fan, my club’s website shows all it’s video content via Flash.

If I use 64 bit IE, I lose count of the times I can’t view content, because Flash Player hasn’t been developed for 64 bit yet.

I’ll concede that the iPhone screen is better to look at than the HTC, but I’m sorry, I’m not really bothered about viewing HD content on my phone and size is more important – especially when using the lovely big QWERTY keyboard in landscape view.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ll concede that the iPhone screen is better to look at than the HTC

I won’t, I dun a back to back with the two iphone 4’s in my office and they boith agreed my desire hd looked better..

superfli
    Free Member

Granted the N8 is not as quick and sleek as either Android or iPhone, but it has got some pretty cool features.
    FM transmitter is a brilliant, and simple inclusion.
    The beta Nokia bigscreen is cool – turns the phone into a media centre when plugged into HDMI port on tv.
    Swype keyboard although that might be out for android now.
    Camera is awesome – have ditched the compact now, just use phone.
    Video is excellent too – HD.

Oh, and the only reason I stuck with Nokia is Sportstracker. I have loads of history I didnt want to lose. A great app that my mates with iPhones+Android would love. Yes there are alternatives, but none as good IMO.

Its a nightmare to use/get the hang of, mind!

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘New phone time’ is closed to new replies.