Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New phone time – Galaxy Note 2?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve hefted one in the shop, it is pretty massive so I can’t see it being a one-handed operation for texting and the like. Has anyone bought one then reverted to a normal sized phone cause they couldn’t adapt?

I can get one for £100 plus £20 a month for 500/5000/ultd net. Anyone seen better?

Any other ideas? My S2 has started behaving erratically so I’m not keen on keeping it. Had thought about a Nexus4 and Giff Gaff, but the Note deal above does seem pretty good. I’d happily have an S4 or HTC One but I’m too tight to pay £30+ a month. An iPhone5 does have one app I need, but I can’t get over the puny screen size.

Cheers,
    Rich

PePPeR

I’ve been using 1 for 6 months, it’s brilliant! They aren’t the easiest to use one handed but they do things like setting up for the keypad one side or the other to make it easier. I sold my pad and hardly ever use the lap top any more. I moved from an iphone4 and it’s leagues ahead of that.

Best phone I’ve ever owned by a country mile. Size becomes a non issue after about 10 seconds – it’s an awesome piece of technology.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Boss has one, the stylus is genius really. I have the S3 and yes it’s bigger but really usable. Great for work, he has been on the end of some of my GoTo Meeting stuff on it and worked really well.

scaredypants

I got one about a week ago

It’s great. Not sure whether it’s better than a S3 or 4 or whatever, or an iphone but is v good

My plan’s lower usage than yours, but then I mostly use wifi and don’t make lots of calls

Are you in quidco ? I should be getting another 80 quid back through them

loddrik
    Free Member

An iPhone5 does have one app I need, but I can’t get over the puny screen size.

I’m just about to go back to an iPhone 4S from a 5, mainly because the screen is too big for me to reach the top left corner with my thumb. The trend of huge screens seems to come at the expense of ergonomics. I can’t imagine how much I’d struggle with a screen over 5″!

I do have girl sized hands though…

scaredypants

what’s the “one app” by the way ??

RichPenny
    Free Member

It’s a control app for a music server my company makes, scaredypants. No Android version 🙁

Cheers for the replies, now all I need is the finglonger from Futurama and my life would be complete!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a control app for a music server my company makes, scaredypants. No Android version

A company you work for? time to lobby for an android version (see the S4 sails figures)

joeyj
    Free Member

The note is great but its a size thing for me. So I bought the iphone 5 with 1000 mins 5000 txt and all you can eat data on the three network all for £25 pm. I had to get it from carphonewarehouse as three did not do the deal and it was £99 up front cant complain the phone is great just wanted something that works rather than being able to have the openness of android

hmanchester
    Free Member

I got one a few months ago and love it.

I didn’t want to wait for the S4 or pay the premium price of an early adopter. Got mine as free phone + 27 per month for 24 months. Cash back on quidco as well.

I couldn’t see myself with a screen below 5″ now. I also wouldn’t want a screen bigger than the 5.5″ inch of the Note 2 meaning I’ve found my sweet spot. The two considerations on size are getting your fingers across the screen and getting it in your pocket, especially when sitting down. I’m quite tall so the above are ok for me but I could see how it could be more of an issue for others.

I’ve got an Iphone 4s for work and it looks pathetic in all ways compared to the Note 2! Pixel density difference or not – size and vibrancy wins.

scaredypants

although I do like a bit of a fiddle 😳 I’d prob have got an iphone if they made one with a big screen

edlong
    Free Member

Consensus round here is that the Note 2 is great and the only issue is the form factor – if you can fit the thing physically into your life then go for it.

I ended up with a Galaxy S3 simply because the note won’t fit into the media pocket of the my Camelbak, otherwise I wanted it!

Mackem

As above really.

You quickly get used to the size and it fits easily in a normal trouser pocket still. Sold my tablet as it wasnt getting used. I dont really use the pen much mind.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just wanted something that works rather than being able to have the openness of android

Thats fairly out of date really, nothing has not really worked in the last couple of years

hmanchester
    Free Member

Thats fairly out of date really, nothing has not really worked in the last couple of years

Oh I don’t know. One of my work colleagues was flogged a cheapo HTC by a high street shop that has enough internal memory for well, errr, nothing. Can’t install any real apps, struggles with email, etc.

I like HTCs, I ownded the very good Desire HD, and think they are underated. Wouldn’t touch one of their cheapo ones though – it just doesn’t work!

scaredypants

that has enough internal memory for well, errr, nothing

he could root it and remove all the unnecessary shite and would prob be fine

It’s just the need for farting about a bit that some don’t like

(until last week I had an orange montecarlo – cheap ZTE thing – but I had almost the newest version of android on it and the people who made the ROM had somehow allowed it to hold dozens of apps whereas the original version would get blocked up, even with an app for saving stuff to the SD card)

hmanchester
    Free Member

She could root it, but being the sort of person who didn’t know what she was buying, she really isn’t going to do the farting about to root it.

I was shocked at how rubbish it was out of the box. In her words, she’ll never buy an HTC again. Shame as the latest HTCs are pretty awesome. Very poor that they let somethign like this go to market – it just kills the brand.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One of my work colleagues was flogged a cheapo HTC

she’ll never buy an HTC again

That is more to do with having a spread of phones across a market, poor form form the salesman, the phone was probably fine for the non smart applications but just done on the cheap, after all we know how expensive internal storage is

scaredypants

probably fine for the non smart applications

Although I have a feeling that companies develop their software for the flagship models and then CBA trimming it all down for the cheap ones, so they end up overloaded with tat (as are the posh ones but they don’t suffer for it)

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Of course, the Note 3 will probably be coming out in the not too distant future…
    (Love my Note 2 by the way, but tend to keep it at home and use it like a laptop.)

hmanchester
    Free Member

probably fine for the non smart applications

Compared to a standard Nokia with a bazillion hours of talk/standby time it was both useless as a smart and non smart phone.

May have been Ok without all the bloatware, but by the time the consumer got it it did nothing both ways. Utterly useless phone!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Don’t do it! I had a Note 1. Was heavy, not big enough to be a tablet, too big for a phone. Dodgy 3g and wifi reception. I now have a battered old HTC Desire I got for 40 quid as my sports app phone and a 8 inch tablet for browsing at home.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Too late, deveron! The behemoth is ordered…

Cheers for replies.

Scaredypants, apple app is much cheaper to develop I think. Will keep asking…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New phone time – Galaxy Note 2?’ is closed to new replies.