Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • New phone time
  • JCornford

My first phone contract is about to run out, Iphone 3 24month on 02, are there deals for renewing and do you have to push for them?

Really liked the Iphone, so will probably go for an Iphone 4 unless anyone can recommend an alternative/

HTC Desire HD – Android 2.1 OS

Does everything it should, really well – and has a huge screen. Don’t let people put you off by saying it’s too big, as I don’t find that a problem at all.

Oh and it supports Flash – iPhone users will be along shortly to tell you this doesn’t matter, but I’ve found plenty of sites where it’s required – including viewing online copies of ST Magazine.

GrahamS

iPhone users will be along shortly to tell you this doesn’t matter, but I’ve found plenty of sites where it’s required – including viewing online copies of ST Magazine.

It doesn’t matter. Never yet found a site that I need Flash for.

Online copies of ST mag are served as PDF – no Flash required – plus there is a STW iPhone app.
    But not an Android one.

GrahamS

Oh and I’ll take the higher res iPhone screen (960×640) over the “huge screen” (800×480) of the Desire HD any day. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Yes, do a bit of research and play ur present company against the others, say the magic words “I’m leaving” and see them bend over backwards to keep you (they need to hear you say it), that’s always been my experience, they need that key phrase though as It’s recorded and they get into trouble by their managers for offering deals straight off

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chase-and-status

Graham – can you watch the video in the last post of the link above?

loddrik
    Free Member

The iPhone is just better, I tried a desire for a bit, it was enough to realise that I am sticking with the iPhone from now on. Plus the battery on the iPhone 4 is excellent. Which was a weakness on previous models.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just waiting for my Motorola Defy to come – 600 mins/600 texts/unlimited net 18 months @ £17
    Looks to do all I want but the deal clincher was the build quality, gorilla glass and waterproofing, hurry up postie I want to play 😀

wl
    Free Member

Hilldodger – who’s that deal with, if you don’t mind me asking?
    JCornford – I’ve got bugger all personal experience but a mate of mine quickly returned his iphone 4 upgrade and reverted to his old 3. He said the 4 was crap to the point of unusable.

pixelmix
    Free Member

JCornford – I’ve got bugger all personal experience but a mate of mine quickly returned his iphone 4 upgrade and reverted to his old 3. He said the 4 was crap to the point of unusable.

Just to balance out, I have an iPhone 3G (now over 2 years old, so a bit underpowered). I had an iPhone 4 from work for a few months and thought it was brilliant. Much snappier, great screen.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Hilldodger – who’s that deal with, if you don’t mind me asking?

The snappily named ‘affordablemobiles.co.uk’ 😀

rOcKeTdOg

which network though hilldodger?

GrahamS

Graham – can you watch the video in the last post of the link above?

By God you’re right. I can’t watch a video of an obscure Indy band on their outdated website.
    It’s clear to me now that my phone is a complete waste of money as this is something I want to do all the time 😉

Perhaps I should restate my point:
    “It doesn’t matter. Never yet found a site that I’m interested in that I need Flash for.” 🙂

JCornford

I’m tempted byt the deal offered by 3 on the Iphone, seems very good compared to everyone else:

£35 a month
    £69 upfront cost
    2000 any network minutes
    5000 texts
    5000 Three-to-Three minutes
    All-you-can-eat Data

sam_underhill

The iPhone is just better

is that just because steve jobs says so? The hardware is nice and the OS is arguably prettier than android, but no way it’s better. (ok, the screen is a beauty on iphone 4). It does exactly what apple allow you to do with it and that’s it, whether you like it or not.

Lots of new HTC (and other) devices just round the corner with dual core chips. I’d wait for one of those. Loads of desires owners in my office (including me) and everyone is happy. Desire 2 with a dual core sounds right on the money to me.

Not about an iphone but a great bit of onion satire re: apple’s way…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA[/video]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but a mate of mine quickly returned his iphone 4 upgrade and reverted to his old 3. He said the 4 was crap to the point of unusable

What??? You ‘aving a laff? It’s the same thing. But better. How can you use a iP3 and not an iP4?

If it was that old ‘reception’ bugbear, then there’s very few affected and you just return it and get another one.

I was using my brother’s iP3 again this week, and whilst it works fine, it’s noticeably inferior to my iP4, as you’d expect. A lot slower and the display is nowhere near as good, mainly.

monthebiffy
    Free Member

Sounds good. But you do know a new iphone will be out this year. I’m trying to find a way of delaying my new contract (probably drop on to pay as you go, or sim only contract for a few months).

It’s rumoured to be out in June. So if you sign up to a new 24 month contract now. You’ll get stuck with an out of date phone when everyone else is on an iphone 5.

rOcKeTdOg

i’m currently on Orange, unlimited txt, 900 minutes, unlimited internet £35 a month

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It does exactly what apple allow you to do with it and that’s it, whether you like it or not.

And I do like it thanks. 🙂

I can’t think of a reason why I’d want anything else. It just works. No faffing, not 10 billion different settings for everything, I don’t need to be a geek to use it (I don’t even need an instruction book!) and update it.

Seriously, please tell me what I’m missing out on. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds good. But you do know a new iphone will be out this year. I’m trying to find a way of delaying my new contract (probably drop on to pay as you go, or sim only contract for a few months).

That’s what I’d do. I missed out the 3GS, and I’ll miss the 5, and then get a 6 in 2012 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

which network though hilldodger?

T mobile

rOcKeTdOg

ah cheers, orange own them don’t they, free roaming between the two networks too

ourkidsam
    Free Member

A new iPhone comes out every year. So if you do wait for the new one this year, then the following year you’ll be stuck with it while everyone who changed now is rocking the iPhone 6 😉

GrahamS

What??? You ‘aving a laff? It’s the same thing. But better. How can you use a iP3 and not an iP4?

Seconded and thirded. What an odd thing to do. Missus has a 3GS, I have a 4.
    And I can’t think of any area that the 3 is “better” than the 4.

Cougar

a mate of mine quickly returned his iphone 4 upgrade and reverted to his old 3. He said the 4 was crap to the point of unusable.

As others have said, I’d suggest that’s either user error or a broken handset. He’s flat out wrong, sorry.

The iPhone is just better

No. The iPhone is just better for some people. I’ve said this before, but the iPhone and Android platforms have different approaches which will appeal to different demographics. To make blanket statements like “the iPhone is just better” or “Android is just better” is somewhat short-sighted IMHO.

I have an Android device (HTC Desire) and my OH has an iPhone. We’ve both used each others’ phones, and can say quite conclusively that neither of us would swap.

sam_underhill

Seriously, please tell me what I’m missing out on.

This sony reader / kindle debate that’s going on. Apple won’t let you buy content for an app that doesn’t go through their API. oh…. except the will with amazon because they are a special case for some reason. If apple want to retain so much control they should subsidize the cost further. You wouldn’t buy a PC and then expect microsoft to tell you what software you can or can’t install on it would you?

rant-ette over. I can seem, and accept, that for some people the iPhone is easier to use and it is shinier, but there is no way that the iPhone is better (which was my original point). You only need to change all the stuff on android if you want to. If you don’t, then it works just fine straight out of the box, just like an iPhone. oh…. and you don’t need to use that horrendous piece of garbage that is iTunes.

Drac

I’m lost, you shouldn’t buy an iPhone because of kindles?

GrahamS

and you don’t need to use that horrendous piece of garbage that is iTunes.

You only really need to connect to iTunes to upload stuff from your itunes library, update the firmware or do a backup/restore (how do you do those on Android again..? 😉 ). I sync maybe once every couple of months, mainly just for a backup.

sam_underhill

update the firmware or do a backup/restore (how do you do those on Android again..? )

Over the air. tadaaaaa. music and other files do need copying on, but you can do that over wifi with a file browser (how do you do that again on an iPhone?) or with a usb cable and explorer onto your SD card (where does that go on your iPhone again?).

Cougar

Over the air. tadaaaaa.

Yeah. TBH, if you’re looking to promote the iPhone then software synchronisation really isn’t the best example. (-:

I can’t actually remember the last time I plugged my phone into a computer. If I want to put music on it or get photos off it I just switch the WiFi on and browse to a network drive. The last firmware update I did was over the air (though I did have the complicated task of pressing the [yes] button), and most application updates happen automagically in the background without me having to do a thing. My contacts, calendar events etc all sync with Google in near-realtime. And all of that is, of course, fully customisable.

Drac

Over the air. tadaaaaa

My Wife’s needs USB cable to update.

where does that go on your iPhone again?

It don’t need one it comes memory as standard.

I love my iPhone brilliant piece of technology, my Wife’s android is also very good but find it more fiddly to use than the iPhone. There much of a muchness so get what you prefer is the answer.

headfirst
    Free Member

Gosh. Its amazing what people get their knickers in a twist about these days.

HTC Desire FTW!!!

Cougar

My Wife’s needs USB cable to update.

And here we see a disadvantage of Android – lack of consistency between manfacturers.

The (crap) Samsung I had previously was the same, it needed to be plugged in to do updates (which was really useful when the update software shipped with the Galaxy didn’t have the phone included in its list of supported devices).

Drac

Not to mention the gmail bug too.

Update fail

Cougar

It don’t need one it comes memory as standard.

The same is true of many Android phones, just that you’ve got the option to expand it. (and if we’re willy-waving, an extra 16gb would set me back about fifteen quid; the same upgrade to an iPhone would add £100 to the purchase price).

hilldodger
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I love my iPhone

Really ? that’s pretty sad……

Cougar

Not to mention the gmail bug too.

Changing your email address may causes login problems unless you clear the application cache? Last summer, on a previous version of Android? Wow, thanks for the heads-up, I’d better sell my phone immedately.

Cougar

More seriously,

Modern technology isn’t perfect. If it was, we wouldn’t have firmware updates, software patches, etc etc. The complexity of modern smartphones (be that Android, iPhone or whatever) means that you’re going to get bugs occasionally.

What’s more important is how those bugs get dealt with (which in the case of Samsung with the Galaxy was “not at all”). Apple to their credit are pretty swift at getting updates out when issues are found.

Drac

Changing your email address may causes login problems unless you clear the application cache? Last summer, on a previous version of Android? Wow, thanks for the heads-up, I’d better sell my phone immedately.

Nope still happens and as the link tells you clearing the cache doesn’t always work. I didn’t change the wife’s email like it says on the link it’s to do with UK gmail accounts. I had to go to gmail and allow googlemail and gmail login emails and then do a phone reset on her phone. All because they’ve still not fixed the bug that’s been there since last summe as you pointed out.

What’s more important is how those bugs get dealt with

Very, so ignoring the gmail bug is really bad.

Drac

Really ? that’s pretty sad……

Thanks for your interesting contribution.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘New phone time’ is closed to new replies.