• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rs.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New Phone part 2: Canada value/compatibility
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I started a new thread about what new phone to get but I’m moving to Canada in March/April: Am I better waiting until I get there, or buy one now and just put in a Canadian sim?

I’ve had a quick look and phones seem to be a little more expensive in Canada: is that the case, generally?

I don’t know too much about the networks bands but it seems the one I’m looking at, the Motorola G5s Plus, covers all the common bandwidths.

I want to stay sim-only, for a while at least.

I’ve used my current Motorola in Canada before, using roaming and wifi, with my current O2 account.

Any experiences/suggestions?

deserter
    Free Member

Phone contracts are really expensive here(Canada) and Im not sure we have as much handset choice either

Pretty sure everything apple is cheaper here if buying outright

mikey74
    Free Member

So, is it worth buying here before I go?

deserter
    Free Member

Not sure, if buying outright just compare prices
    Go on bestbuy.ca for a general this is how much stuff costs

You will get a better cheaper contract on a bring your own phone if thats what you mean

sweaman2
    Free Member

You will get a better cheaper contract on a bring your own phone if thats what you mean

But it’ll still be more expensive than equivalent in the UK.

The main cell providers are Rogers, Telus, Bell and they each have “value” companies that piggyback off their coverage.

Personally (and I said the same thing on your bike thread) I’m wary of bringing stuff across the pond for extended use as warranty etc will be much more tricky.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

You might want to check that an EU phone will work on Canadian frequency allocations.

rs
    Free Member

uk phones should work fine, at least mine have been fine in reverse. contracts are terrible, if I didn’t have a deal though my SIL’s pharmacy association, I’d probably go with http://www.publicmobile.ca

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New Phone part 2: Canada value/compatibility’ is closed to new replies.