Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New phone advice?
  • takisawa2

Hi.
    Looking to get a new mobile phone, would like something with a nice big screen for web browsing, as the wife hogs the home pc a lot. In town this afternoon & looked at a Galaxy S (Samsung I think), but chap in the shop said to look at the HTC Desire HD or the HD2, as they have a slightly bigger screen than the Galaxy.
    He said one runs Windows.?
    Just wondered if anyone on here has one of these phones…?

And I dont want to re-mortgage the house for the iphone he showed me.

Also in terms of contracts, would 1gb suffice for faffing on here & a few other sites for a few hours each month…?
    (Would also use as a sat-nav occasionally).

stumpy01

I’ve got an HTC Desire and think it’s great.
    The only Samsung I’ve used was awful, but it wasn’t Android which I think the Galaxy S is. I have also read complaints about the GPS of the Galaxy S being a bit cak & Samsung’s software updates a bit lacking.

The Desire HD is meant to be good but I’m not sure I’d want an even bigger screen draining battery even quicker.

EDIT – oh and 1gb should be plenty – especially if you use wireless at home.

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for BlackBerry, be a leader not a follower. 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Got HTC Desire and it’s great, 1GB is fine for just surfing and sat naving if you want to download music/tv/vids then you may struggle. Mine was free on upgradea nd £25 a month for silly amounts of minutes that I don’t get close to. So glad I went for it over super expensive i phone which does exactly the same job.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

dude’s lying about the screens- SGS has the biggest screen on the market at the moment.
    HD2 runs windows mobile 6, yes. i’ve not heard good things about it.

i have the SGS and yeah there are GPS issues but they are software rather than hardware related and not insurmountable. there’s an android update due that seems to have fixed this for those folk who couldn’t wait for samsung to roll it out officially.

they both (SGS and desire HD) have their fors and againsts- just decide what’s important to you and go with whichever fits best because they’re both great bits of kit.

geoffj

I have an iPhone 4 and a HTC Desire (provided by me work). The HTC Desire is an excellent bit of kit.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.gsmarena.com
    Good site with impartial reviews on most phones.

Cougar

Desire’s ace. Galaxy S is similar on paper, but Samsung’s support is crap.

iDave
    Free Member

I have had a desire for three weeks now and I like it very much

loddrik
    Free Member

I had a desire for a month and whilst it was ok, It just didn’t compare to the iPhone 4 I have now (phone calls excepted…!).

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Motorola defy is looking pretty good. Due out next week

Spongebob
    Free Member

Go for BlackBerry, be a leader not a follower.

??? be a leader??? Blackberry? Nearly every school kid in the country has a damned Blackberry! If you want to realise the true benefit of a Blackberry (push email that works), your going to pay another £5/ month on your contract. Blackberry web browsing is pretty clunky and awkward, also, most handsets are only 2g. You need a touch screen, so your only choice would be a Blackberry Torch. “Follower” is the word that springs to mind when the name Blackberry pops up!

I use a Nokia 5800 3.5g which does the job and suits a more techy person, but i would not recommend them now. I concede that Nokia are loosing the battle of the smart phone.

I’d look at handsets running with the Android platform.

Apple products are seductive with a brilliant UI now, but they cost a fortune, you will have restricted access to content and will be forced to use iTunes. Then there are niggles like you can’t upgrade the memory, or switch the battery if you are out and about when your battery is depleted (and iPhones aren’t renowned for long intervals between charges).

The Nokia N8 is just out and whilst this looks like a decent bit of kit, i’m still not convinced that Nokia have ironed out all the kinks from the early versions of the S60V5 OS yet. Nokia seriously need to pull their socks up and sharpish!

donsimon
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member

Go for BlackBerry, be a leader not a follower.

??? be a leader??? Blackberry? Nearly every school kid in the country has a damned Blackberry! If you want to realise the true benefit of a Blackberry (push email that works), your going to pay another £5/ month on your contract. Blackberry web browsing is pretty clunky and awkward, also, most handsets are only 2g. You need a touch screen, so your only choice would be a Blackberry Torch. “Follower” is the word that springs to mind when the name Blackberry pops up!

My Spidey senses are telling me that you don’t agree with me! Ja ja! I have absolutely no problem with email and I think this is the main reason it’s used in most businesses. What is this extra cost of which you speak? The screen is a tad small and surfing with the BB browser is slow, but with Opera it’s speeded up significantly and is a pleasure to use. If you want to watch movies or play games go for something with a bigger screen. I would think that if you look seriously at the apps available you wouldn’t find that there are fewer available for the BB, that is to say iApps possible have 100 GPS apps available of which 1 is good and 99 are crap whereas BB has 20 available and 1 good, quantity of availability doesn’t equate to quality.
    BB battery life is excellent it’ll probably run for 3 days between charges.
    Hope you didn’t wear out the ? button Spongebob. 😉

takisawa2

Thanks all.
    Have bought a HTC Desire HD.
    Its very good.
    Huge screen.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New phone advice?’ is closed to new replies.