Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)
  • NEW Penmachno Video
  • Rorschach
    Free Member

bunch of guys worked their arses off to build it,the volunteers and people who put time and effort into this. I for one appreciate what you do

I’m sure the guys at conservfor appreciate your gratitude.

wrecker
    Free Member

Funkrodent, you do know that the people who built it got paid (pretty well by the sounds of it) to build this don’t you?

+1 to the volunteers and people who put time and effort into this.

Ern, I think the volunteers do a fantastic job at pen, but this was a commercial project.

funkrodent

Rorschach – Member
    bunch of guys worked their arses off to build it,the volunteers and people who put time and effort into this. I for one appreciate what you do

I’m sure the guys at conservfor appreciate your gratitude

wrecker – Member
    Funkrodent, you do know that the people who built it got paid (pretty well by the sounds of it) to build this don’t you?

My understanding – admittedly from this thread – is that the local community of riders/builders were involved throughout the process, even if they didn’t actually build it. In an ideal world, maybe they’d have got something slightly different and maybe more in keeping with the rest of Penmachno, but there is nothing wrong with what has been built and it looks like a laugh to ride. For the benefit of those who may not have had the time to read the whole thread/have short memories, the copied bit below is a response from one of the community team to the criticism they have been receiving. Seems pretty straightforward to me..

“We understand where you’re coming from – we love the current trails and our dream was to build 2 sections of skinny, challenging singletrack that would blend perfectly with the current trails. We spoke to the crew who built the original trails so we could replicate the specification, however, it turned out that when the trails were first built they were wide (around 80cm), and rolling, and it’s taken 10 years of riding to turn them into the amazing singletrack they are today! One of the reasons for the original construction method is because the Penmachno ground is so wet (not that you’d notice!!!), so a wide base/platform needs to be put in so the trail doesn’t disappear into the Penmachno bog. At this point we could see our dream disappearing so considered a hand built trail, which would allow a narrower trail to be built. However, it was super-expensive and left us with 2 options – 1 short section of narrow hand-built or 2 long sections of wider machine built trail. After a lot of deliberating we went for the second option, on the basis that it was how the original trail was built and that in a few years it will narrow up, ride-in and evolve into true Penmachno singletrack. Plus it would replacing riding along forest track so it would be a definite improvement. It has been a painful learning process which has included a few shattered dreams for the community team, however, we have learned to look beyond what are 2 very new and uniform sections of trail and see what they’ll be like in a few years time when they’ve ridden in. So, we totally understand where you’re coming from but hopefully you’ll enjoy them more than riding on forest track and in a few years time you’ll love them!!!”?

Anyway, my main issue isn’t the fact that people don’t like it, it’s the way some people choose to express themselves and their dissatisfaction. It’s downright rude and I’m willing to bet that most of the most vociferous “complainers” wouldn’t dream of putting their feelings across in that way were they stood face to face.. 😐

funkrodent

Rorschach – Member
    This

will ‘evolve’ into this…….

(I apologise in advance for having an opinion someone else may disagree with)

I can see what you did there. But you’re perhaps guilty of a bit of spin-doctoring. You know as well as I do that whilst there is an abundance of singletrack that is essentially bedrock (or large rocks, I’m no geologist), there is also quite a lot that is quite gravelly/stony/earthy (off the top of my head the first couple of sections after the initial steep fireroad climb spring to mind) and whilst the new stuff is never going to evolve into the rocky stuff that you’ve pictured, I can see how in 5-10 years it could easily become like a lot of the more gravelly/earthy stretches of trail. Particularly if it is left to the elements, which it almost certainly will be, Just a thought 🙂

ampthill

The exciting news for me is that there is now a trail map!!!

Call me all old but that is step forward!!

Map

I wasn’t inspired by the video but i enjoyed the response from the developers. I’m sure it will bed in and become part of the experience and everyone will be calling it natural in a few years time

I’ve always had problems with the world natural and the MTB world has taken this to a new level.

Firstly people describe trails made by people walking as natural. Then people describe trails made by people walking which have been armoured with rocks as natural

Now people are describing trails purpose dug and built for cycling as natural

Not that it matters

funkrodent

I’ve always had problems with the world natural

I think a cheeky L slipped into that 🙂

Heartily concur with what you say though. At the end of the day it’s all a question of semantics.

No to mention manners of course.. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘NEW Penmachno Video’ is closed to new replies.