Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • NEW Penmachno Video
  • loddrik
    Free Member

This guy rides mountain bikes very well and was in charge of all new bits in Coed y Brenin in the last few years. He doesn’t build bad trails.

Most of the ‘new’ bits at CyB are also shite.

andymc06
    Free Member

Rode both loops the other week. Have to say we were all very pleased with the new sections of trail. Made a welcome change from the puddles and stream beds which make up the rest of Penmachno!

iolo
    Free Member

You can’t please all the people all the time but if you please most of the people most of the time you’re doing an alright job.
    Some like gears, some don’t.
    Some like suspension, Some don’t.
    Some like Fat Bikes, some don’t.
    Nobody will ever agree on wheel size – just chose.
    etc, etc, etc, etc

I had an ex who used to say for years “I don’t like curry”. One day we were in a restaurant, I ordered a curry of some description. I asked if she wanted to try. She said “that’s not very nice”. Same with everything.
    If , after trying you don’t like it, don’t bother again.
    But you have to try it before commenting,

weeksy

I’ll be honest, it looks like a laugh to me, somewhere to test a bit of high speed skills.

You can keep your “slow trails where you can go over the bars”

I’ll take that along with BPW Blues all day 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Funny thread.

Those bits a singletrack look good. I haven’t been to enough trail centres. Must rectify that.

timc
    Free Member

Additional trail at a great trail for you should you wish to ride it?

I see no reason for complaint here, a welcome addition if you ask me.

Euro
    Free Member

Funny thread.

Glad you find the ruination of all mountain biking in Wales, if not the entire UK, funny. These fun, smooth fast trails must be destroyed and in their place, a fire road.

Very tempted to do the old ‘new trails looks like new shocker!’ but wont because everyone knows that in a few years time the edges will be overgrown, lumps and bumps will appear and it’ll look like it’s been there for a long time.

p.s. I hate it other people build trails for me* to ride.

* not me personally, i don’t live in Wales but you get the point i hope. Ungrateful sods.

p.p.s Camera work was good in the video, as was the riding, but WTF is that terrible screamo/melody hybrid song about?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Out of interest, to those who think the money would have been better spent elsewhere – where exactly would you have spent it? Genuinely interested.

saxabar
    Free Member

I see no reason for complaint here, a welcome addition if you ask me.

Yep, I get that bit, but do you think it as good as could be for the money? Should the builders have gone for some thing more technical, or is a smoother trail better so to encourage a greater range of riders? It’s not wrong to talk about whether they’ve got max bang for public buck.

(And yes, I’ve ridden it a few times and enjoyed it!)

iolo
    Free Member

Having not ridden them how long are the new trails?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Iolo, AV was’nt directly involved with the build.

saxabar
    Free Member

@Iolo – pretty short, I guess around 2-3k in total?

Trimix
    Free Member

If the council are tasked with getting more people to ride and have no money and no experience, then you will get trails that are:
    a) easy to ride
    b) built by the lowest bidder

Sadly the video didn’t say “fire road replaced with this”

timc
    Free Member

saxabar – Member
    Yep, I get that bit, but do you think it as good as could be for the money? Should the builders have gone for some thing more technical, or is a smoother trail better so to encourage a greater range of riders?

I’m not really qualified to say, I dont know what the average rider at penmchno wants / needs, what these things cost, how many beginer / child friendly routes are needed / planned, I dont know future plans for the trail & surrounding area etc.

What I do know is we are very lucky any money is being spent on trails for us to enjoy. If you were to put the VFM argument to the general punlic I doubt we would see a single penny for a mountain bike trail in the middle of north wales.

I presuming its public money that funded it from what you said btw.

iolo
    Free Member

Say it’s 3k
    I read here it was 50K, not sure that’s right but let’s assume so
    50,000/3,000=16.67/meter

Costs
    All health and safety (method statements, Risk assesments, COSHH etc)
    Prelims (Cabins for the men, toilets, Manager for job,fuel for machines etc)
    Surveying
    Tree Felling
    Tree Removal
    Initial Route clearance
    Building up trail
    Placing substantial base
    Final shaping
    Dressing with final sub base layer
    Compacting
    Dressing the trail edges
    Whatever else you can think of.

That’s bloody good value at 16.67/meter

Rorschach
    Free Member

BandB.I would have said between post 2.14 and 2.19 on the Eryri trail to replace the road linking section and give a bit of a warm up for people just doing the 2nd loop. Maybe provide a 2nd trail head to ease congestion at the original car park and give people not used to the rocky nature of the trails an easier introduction to the joys of ‘ROCK’.
    IMO of course 8)
    Cost per meter is generally nearer £20-25.Thats pretty standard now for trail building. In terms of total cost building ,partial bench cut or ‘off line’ built trail using naturally occurring features is’nt really anymore expensive than importing tons of aggregate to build ‘scalextric track’. You only have to look to see what a good job Extreme Track did at Antur Stiniog in much harder conditions.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Saw this the other day. It’s like someone diverted the M6 through north Wales!

While maybe I wasn’t a big fan of Penmachno when I first rode it, the nature of the place is old school raw and natural style trails. Bleak and remote. It could have done with some bits eliminating the tedious fireroad parts at times, but I’d expect more trails of the kind like the really nice descents.

Not this!

I’m no modern trail centre hater. This kind of stuff is great fun in BPW. It just doesn’t fit with Penmachno at all. It’s kind of ruined the place really. May as well set up full facilities now with visitor centre, coffee shop, toilets, showers. Hell, even an uplift!

😉

Seriously though. I’ll give it a go, and probably enjoy it, but still I do think it’s out of keeping with the place. Go stick this in CYB instead.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m just going on distance and total cost.
    If it’s 2 kilometers then it is 25 per meter.

andyrm
    Free Member

I think it looks great – and hopefully the influx of riders will then make a commercial justification for a visitor centre etc.

The fact is that mountain biking has moved on and speed, jumps and pace through sections are held in higher regard by your modern rider than old fashioned “no dabs” type riding at low speed. Think thrill seeking rather than escapism.

If you don’t like it, just don’t ride that section. Simple.

As for £5k on a video – again the fact is that social media plays a huge and important part in getting riders to visit somewhere in search of their thrills (very different to people wanting to look at bikepacking/intop the wild type stuff in a coffee table styled magazine), so a high quality video portraying this kind of trail is important to get the message out to their target audience.

Biking’s progressing – either embrace it or don’t, but don’t clog up the internet with grumpy old man moans. There’s a working men’s club in most towns to allow you to hand around and be miserable.

franki
    Free Member

I must jump in among the haters, I’m afraid.
    I’m sure the new stuff is fun, but it doesn’t fit in at Penmachno. It looks an eyesore (admittedly it’ll run and weather-in,) and is the kind of man-made stuff I go to places like Penmachno to avoid.
    CYB has it’s share of this Llandegla-esque trail too, just down the road and I can see why – lots of people love the BMXy stuff and they need the business to keep all the infrastructure afloat, but the appeal of Penmachno was always the: getting changed out of the car boot and off into the hills – with the bonus of some route markers, old school style. I’m clearly not alone in thinking this, going by the posts so far.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

This guy rides mountain bikes very well and was in charge of all new bits in Coed y Brenin in the last few years. He doesn’t build bad trails.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

I couldn’t give a rat’s piss about Penmachno but such a statement about CYB makes my blood boil. It used to be excellent, it’s now just mediocre. Much of the work done at CyB over the last 10 years has been absolutely unforgivable. To use the pisch created at CyB as something to shower praise on a trail builder is barmy.

yunki
    Free Member

Quite often I ride my bike to get away from the town and get out amongst the wilder bits of the landscape, to soak up the atmosphere of somewhere rugged..

That looks like some **** in VW T5 might come cruising along it at any given moment 🙂

I haven’t ridden it, and the chances are slim that I ever will, do to it’s location..

andyrm
    Free Member

The whole reason places in Wales get funded isn’t to be kind to a minority of riders and their taste, it’s to create an infrastructure that a mass market will come to and spend money in an area, as part of a larger social regeneration picture.

So by definition you design it to appeal to the more modern style of riding, not the old style “getting away from it all” that mountain biking used to be.

yunki
    Free Member

Meh.. I’m old

timc
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    It’s kind of ruined the place

Behave, some grass & bushes will grow, the rain will wash half of it away & it will be fine.

Pathetic to say the whole place is ruined by a new section of trail. 🙄

nickc

Pathetic to say the whole place is ruined by a new section of trail.

Innit.

Oh noes, all this money being spent on my hobby, and it’s not exactly what I want. Therefore the world has ended. 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

If you think it looks fun from the film, seriously; go ride it. It’s not fun. There is no gradient and if you want to be leaving the ground at all, you’ll need to pedal like buggery for the whole time.
    Perhaps the vid was so pricey because they had to film it one hump at a time due to the lack of flow and the fact that it’s a flat bit of path?
    I understand that it’s difficult to do much with a flat bit of land. I understand that these pathways are cheap. It’s just so depressing.
    If you were thinking adam and eve – CYB; think again.

molgrips
    Free Member

So by definition you design it to appeal to the more modern style of riding, not the old style “getting away from it all” that mountain biking used to be.

FFS

The old stuff is still there! This is not replacing anything – the existence of this trail takes nothing away from you. So what the hell are you moaning about?

It’s like complaining when One Direction release a new record that Led Zepplin records have gone away.

weeksy

you’ll need to pedal like buggery for the whole time.

Oh no… imagine having to work a bit !

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh no… imagine having to work a bit !

😀
    Well done for missing the point!

weeksy

Well done for missing the point!

Am I …. or are you.

The trail is flat… I get it… the trail is dull if you ride it slowly, I get that… However, if I want swoppy bits with jumpy bits and am prepared to work hard… it’s fun ?

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Ridden those bits, Penmachno is one of my local trails, bottom line is that video edit makes those new bits look really significant in terms of length therefore diluting or cutting back the old school tight rocky singletrack that Penmachno is well known for. However in reality they are not that long at all and simply link some of the best downhills to avoid the singletrack/fireroad/singletrack/fireroad repetition. So in that respect they are great, and make the whole of the last third 90% fireroad trudge free. It isnt like Llandegla anymore now than it was before, it just links up the traditional bits better, and adds some variety.
    As molgrips said “it doesnt replace anything” (other than 2 x uphill fireroads) I like it.

nickc

you come on here with your reasonable real world experience…How very dare you

wrecker
    Free Member

However, if I want swoppy bits with jumpy bits and am prepared to work hard… it’s fun ?

Honestly, I’m not sure it can be. I’m unsure if it is possible for us mortals (I’m no Ratboy) to carry sufficient speed to make to swoopy and jumpy, that’s why I suggested that the vid was made piecemeal. Some of the stuff is on an incline. I’d class it as pedally, not swoopy.
    I dunno. I only rode it once, I can’t see anyone wanting to session it.

weeksy

Honestly, I’m not sure it can be. I’m unsure if it is possible for us mortals (I’m no Ratboy) to carry sufficient speed to make to swoopy and jumpy, that’s why I suggested that the vid was made piecemeal. Some of the stuff is on an incline. I’d class it as pedally, not swoopy.
    I dunno. I only rode it once, I can’t see anyone wanting to session it

I’m with you.. I doubt I could make them doubles either lol. Well… I may SORT OF make them…. and mostly survive.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Dave, nice video.
    Well done to the volunteers who give up their time to work on the trails at Penmachno. I know how much effort and hard work goes into rpairing/upgrading trails. As has been mentioned in many previous posts Penmachno is a trail centre, if folk don’t want to ride there, then don’t, but don’t insult folk who give up their spare time to repair trails which are free to use.
    If you have not been there, please do. It’ts worth the ride out. Spend money and support the locals.

Cheers,
    Steve,NWMBA.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m with you.. I doubt I could make them doubles either lol. Well… I may SORT OF make them…. and mostly survive.

You very may well make a double (with a good run in), but it’s the one after and the next etc which would be a challenge. I wa excited to see it coming and thought I was in for a blast of a treat. IMHO they’d have been better off making it steppy and techy; far some suited to a lack of gradient and also in keeping with the remainder of the trail.

I don’t see that anyone has insulted any volunteer trail builders/repairers at all. Have they actually been mentioned at all?

deadkenny
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    I don’t see that anyone has insulted any volunteer trail builders/repairers at all. Have they actually been mentioned at all?

I’m certainly not knocking them. Full credit to their efforts and always support anyone building trails.

My only concern is it being out of keeping with the nature of the place. A bit of this kind of stuff at CYB and Afan is fine. They’re big trail centres constantly evolving and expanding, and it provides more variety. Penmachno though has always been a place you go to get old school style trails the way I see it.

Still, we’ll see how it goes. My earlier mocking was tongue in cheek. As I mentioned I wasn’t a fan because of the tedious fireroad links, and if it provides fun bits instead of fireroad then great.

andyrm
    Free Member

FFS

The old stuff is still there! This is not replacing anything – the existence of this trail takes nothing away from you. So what the hell are you moaning about?

I’m definitely not moaning. What I was doing, and maybe didn’t word brilliantly is that this style of trail represents the style that lots of people who are into modern mountain biking like, as a contrast to what people used to like (that old nadgery slow “no dabs” tech stuff which I have always hated).

I think it’s great to mix it up at a trail centre (and Penmachno most definitely is a trail centre, albeit a slightly different type and as yet, without facilities), or else it would be stuck in the past and could well lose rider numbers and so value to the local economy.

Ultimately though it’s new trail sections at a pretty cool place, which you can ride for free. That’s a good thing.

craig_w
    Free Member

My view having ridden Penmachno a lot but not the new trail is:

Any money spent on trails in the UK is a good thing
    Currently it costs nothing to ride there (but you should stick a quid or two in the voluntary box) so investment is even better!
    This replaces fire road which is great 🙂

However, could they spent the money differently? If this section is mainly flat, could they have made it more technical singletrack? Would that have cost more money?

Also, my other worry is the trend this might set, getting in bog standard council contractors to build new trails.

So in general this is a good thing, but could of been better and could set a worrying trend.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘NEW Penmachno Video’ is closed to new replies.