Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New paint job for my 04 Explosif … What would you do?
  • Farticus

Need to get some cable guides sorted out on my 04 Explosif (it’s the brown one that was on Classifieds a year or so ago in nice retro style).. Plan to get Rohloff guides put on and full set of zip tie ones so that I don’t have to keep re-bleeding brakes when I swap stuff around. All of which will mean a new paint job, preferably with retro Kona graphics. Bob Jackson is the most likely place to get this done (as relatively local).

So, what colour schemes would you go for? Any pictures appreciated!

haggis1978

Bright yellow and blue decals.

ssboggy

Heres a pic for you. Got a few different components on it now but you get the idea. Its a ’97 btw.Paint was done by Mercian in Derby

racefaceec90

not that i have a kona,but what about a deep purple colour with mirrored kona stickers (if you can get some) like above black outline/mirrored centre writing.

reckon that would be orsum 8)

angryratio
    Free Member

Candy purple from my local powder coater..
    Betta Blast of Shiremoor. (gold bits look a bit ray charles interior design inspired i’ll admit)

messiah
    Free Member

I painted the repaired bits of mine with Hammerite. It’s now coming off and looks dreadful… like its been to hell and back 😈

Vortexracing

Black, now sporting dark grey metallic Kona decals

P1050024 by eastham_david, on Flickr

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Got mine done at Argos in Pigeon Blue. It’s 4 years old now and thinking something different, maybe a dark slate grey, or something garish and bright.

messiah
    Free Member

Some original paint and undercoat augmented with Black Hammerite, mud and rust :mrgreen:

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Nica Buddha.

simon1975

My Unit went from grey to brown:

Quantocks 6/7/09 by Simon J Taylor, on Flickr

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Are those Salsa forks Vortex?

simon1975

Yes those are Salsa Cromotos – fantastic steel fork.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Yeah, lovely shape to them!

beanum

One of the nicest paint jobs I remember is way back in the day when Chipps (I think) got his Fuquay frame colour matched with a Walkers Smoky Bacon crisp packet…

Now I’m not so sure, maybe it looked better in the 90s… 😉

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’d really like to get my whole frame chromed a la 80s BMX. Think it would cost quite a bit though.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member
    mangatank
    Free Member

Lovely frame. Why not take some pointers from Tom Ritchey? Retro but gorgeous:

Ritchey steel frame

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

That’s a lovely paint job on the Ritchey (the frame’s not bad either). Getting a custom fade like that would be pricey, if you could find someone to do it well!

Alpha1653

Waiting for my 97 Kona to come back from getting powdercoated at Reality Motorworks in Bristol. Their reputation’s meant to be very good as they do work for the Hell’s Angels apparently. Pretty cheap too – £55 for a frame, £15 extra if you want any special effects as well i.e. metal flakes etc. I’ve gone for the original colour but they should be able to do the fade effects as per the Ritchey frame.

nedrapier

My frame is currently with Dave Yates. I asked them if they could do something like this:

Debbie said, “No. 4 on our chart, flam. bright green, is just like that.”

Can’t wait to get it back!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New paint job for my 04 Explosif … What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.