Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Pads: knee/shin v Knee
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I have been using Troy Lee Lopes pads for a number of years, and as such, they are fantastic: I can ride all day in them with no problems whatsoever. However, they are not very durable and are in need of replacement.

As I ride in flats I have always been inclined to use knee/shin pads. However, I rarely have any issues with grip on flats these days so I’m thinking of just getting some knee pads. Is this a good idea, I ask myself? Are full knee/shin pads worth it?

Any new pads I get will need to be suitable for everything from all-day rides to downhilling, including my trip to Whistler Bike Park in July.

Currently, I have narrowed my options down to the following:

– POC knee/shin
    – Getting some more TLD Lopes
    – 661 Kyle Straits
    – Scott Grenades

I am inclined towards the Scotts as apparently they incorporate a hardshell.

Any suggestions, questions, snide remarks :mrgreen: etc?

chakaping
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro knee pads are worth a look too. Quite substantial, but comfy with it so you’re not always aware you have them on. L/XL size even if you have normal legs.

I sometimes put my 661 Veggie shins on as well when I feel the need.

ChrisL

I changed from Race Face knee/shin pads to Poc knee pads last year. I ride with SPDs so I don’t need protection from errant pedals. The main difference I’ve noticed is that my lower legs are no longer protected from spray on wet rides. 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

The main difference I’ve noticed is that my lower legs are no longer protected from spray on wet rides.

That thought had crossed my mind as well, as well as the added protection from vicious brambles and other foliage.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!! For afternoon shift 😀

mangoridebike

having thumped my shin pad on my RaceFace pads with my flat pedal a couple of times last year, I’m glad I’ve got that protection. I had been considering changing to pads with just knee coverage, but no longer

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Love my 661 Evo knee and elbow pads. They are thin and flexible and I can ride all day with them on, no issue. Not neoprene either, so they do not get too hot.

I ride flats and wondered about shin protection. Decided against and bought some thick long socks that I could pull up on the descents. Don’t even bother with those now as I’ve only had a couple of shin rakes in 3 years

cookeaa

661 Knee pads if your confident with flats and don’t tend ot slip why bake your legs, the odd bleeding shin wound as you trundle home always looks a bit more manly too…

Northwind

The POC knee/shins are fab, massively protective and still comfortable to wear, but I don’t like to wear mine for pedally rides- did a lap and a half of laggan in them and they were starting to get a bit uncomfortable. They’re just overkill for that sort of riding IMO, I suspect you’ll end up not wearing them. As comfortable as this sort of full-on protection gets though. I tend to reserve mine for downhill stuff.

Kyle Straits at the other end, I’ve worn them for downhilling but they don’t inspire as much confidence. OTOH I also wore them along the west highland way, up some french mountains and while racing 10 Under the Ben- they make no difference at all to my riding, so I always wear them, I’ve no reason not to. And quite cheap too.

Scott Grenade is the exact same pad but with a hard shell and less foam. never seen one at a price I’d pay but they seem good. To me they felt slightly more restrictive but I never rode in them.

TBH if your budget covers the POC knee/shins it seems to me that the answer is a pair of Kyle Straits plus a pair of Raceface Rally FRs.

mikey74
    Free Member

It did occur to me that maybe two sets of cheaper ones may be a good option.

I’ll have a look around and see what I can pick up.

thebunk

Anyone got the Endura kevlar and memory foam kneepads? They got a good write up, and apparently have a bit of shin protection too.

mikey74
    Free Member

They look interesting, but I get the impression they are a little lightweight for dh use.

joshtafareye
    Free Member

I know this isn’t one of your selections on the list but I do have a pair of Alpinestars Moab Knee/Shin guards for $85.00 up for your consideration.

Email me @ wutifused@yahoo.com for more details.

doug_basqueMTB.com

mikey, I have a few different pairs of knee/shin and a pair of knees. I tend to wear my POC knee/shin’s most often, the main reason is that I often get rocks kicked up by the wheel and hitting my shin. It’s seriously sore. For that reason alone I’ll reach for the knee/shin more than anything else.

The POC’s are great, they seem to last well, offer great protection and are way ahead of the competition for comfort I think, due to the knee design. I wrote a few words about them on my site, I’ve done a lot more miles in them since then and crashed a few times and they offer really good protection and don’t move on impact. POC Bone Leg Armour Review

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Pads: knee/shin v Knee’ is closed to new replies.