Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New (OT) toy….
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

passat by passtherizla, on Flickr

Arrived Friday… drove like an old lady all weekend and still got under 40 MPG!!!??? thought I was going to be in for substantially more MPGs than that. oh well..

My Old civic TypeR would do 280 miles on £65 this says it will do 550 on about a £100. so is slightly better but diesel is more expnesive so how much better, I’m not that sure doesn’t seem bettr enough to warrant not having a pocket rocket though… :/

bigrich

the thing is, you get the same economy even if you hoon around.

passtherizla
    Free Member

really… I would have expected it to drink if hooning! may just have to give it loads and see what difference it makes. Need to do a decent motorway run and see what it does cruising at 80ish ahem I mean 70.

momo

Is it a brand spanker? Diesels normally need a bit of running in before they start to perform at thier best.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yeah brand new, arrived with 98 miles on the clock…

having never had a diesel before do you run them in the same as a petrol car?

jam-bo

I’d say that’s more of a tool than a toy…

aracer
    Free Member

I must be misunderstanding the definition of “toy”

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m on my 6th Passat diesel, you don’t need to run them in.

140 or 170 BTW

passtherizla
    Free Member

Its the 170… and yes I guess it is more of a tool for ferrying my family and the vast amount of crap that goes with climbing, riding, snowboarding, kids, and skateboarding.

can a mod change the title to new tool? 😉

Frankers
    Free Member

Mines a 170ps auto and I generally get around 580-600 miles out of a tankful…. £90-£95ish

140ps you get around 650-80miles from a tankful

It’s a mass produced consumer item.
    I’ll still be driving my 20 year old Land Rover long after that’s been melted down to make toasters.

passtherizla
    Free Member

and your point is!!?? its a company car, I couldn’t give a flying F*$K what its doing in 4 years let alone 20!

landrover is however the one car that falls into tool and toy category. love ’em.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s only a car…

madhouse

I’d imagine it’s a fair bit bigger and heavier than a Civic, which is worth bearing in mind when comparing their mpg’s. Other than that it may be worth checking out the heap of websites devoted to getting better mpg.

passtherizla
    Free Member

..sorry are people just leaving random words with no explanation of what they are on about..?

ohnohesback – Member
    It’s only a car…

no shit! I thought it was a baguette! 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

A good job you’ve not tried biting into it yet…

…or am I too late?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ll never get those teeth back 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not running in in the traditional sense, any engine will loosen up over 10-20k and give better economy. I am averaging 56mpg lately in my 6 year old 140ps auto saloon, with the cruise on 70 all the way. 40 is poor, but you should get better with time and a bit of thought.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its hardly a toy, its a dull german estate car.

john_drummer
    Free Member

did you choose that colour?

passtherizla
    Free Member

agreed its not a toy… should have chosen my words more carefully.

Frankers
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Its hardly a toy, its a dull german estate car.

LOL !!!!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But true.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yes I chose red because it was free in red, and I like red… I’m not really a fan of the car, just the best value for money on the company scheme, most toys etc… DAB, satnav, bluetooth, ipod dock, loads of room..

I looked at the BMW3 series estate and there was less room in the back than in my civic, also looked at Golfs and they were too small, needed to be an estate and as far as I’m concerned thy’re all boring, its not like I can afford a BMW 335d or anything like that.. volvo V50 was an absolute bag of shite, and again load space was less than the civic.

stumpy01

Looks nice in red, I think. Better than all the dull grey cars that you see chugging around…..erm, like mine.

I had a 2 litre diesel Passat hire car for a few days and think i got around 50mpg or so out of it. It was gutless, so I’m assuming it was the 140 version….

There’ll be a few factors that mean you aren’t getting great fuel economy out of it at the moment.
    Mainly due to the fact that it’s new & you probably aren’t used to it.

What type of journeys were you getting <40mpg over? It takes a while for a diesel to warm up, so short journeys will never yield high mpg. Also don’t expect 50mpg round town.

mrjmt
    Free Member

also looked at Golfs and they were too small, needed to be an estate

Golf estates exist, we have one. (but we’re awaiting a new passat estate to arrive in a couple of weeks) 😆

passtherizla
    Free Member

purposely about 50/50 did about 100 miles about 45 on m/way and 55 round town… but you make a valid point about me not being used to it yet.

will see how I get on over the next few months, I think I may just be looking for an excuse to send it back and upset the fleet manager and get a GTI

passtherizla
    Free Member

If they’d done a GTD estate golf I may well have gone for that, but the space again was no more than the civic had… the Civic boot was MASSIVE!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New (OT) toy….’ is closed to new replies.