Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New Order's 'Blue Monday'
  • SaxonRider

Was just sent this video by a friend. It shows a group called Orkestra Obsolete playing New Order’s ‘Blue Monday’ on 1930s instruments.

[video]http://youtu.be/cHLbaOLWjpc[/video]

Very interesting (and quite cool, if you like that sort of thing!).

Here’s the original for those of you not old enough to know what I am on about:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk[/video]

jamj1974

I like it – but I do love the original!

Thanks for posting saxonrider.

johnx2
    Free Member

Factory’s business model (everyone knows this one so cba googling): something about the designer for Blue Monday doing a fancy sleeve for the 12″ that tony wilson really liked. It was pointed out to him that the package cost 7p more to make than it actually sold for. He said not to worry as it’d only sell a couple of hundred.

Millions and billions of sales (validated figures) later Factory were near bankrupt. Still, they did okay from new order later on.

nbt

That’s fab, cheers!

stewartc
    Free Member

Ruddy brilliant

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Buying an old yacht showroom in Manchester also contributed to Factory’s financial woes. New Order’s constant output and success was what kept Factory going. But I bet all parties wouldn’t have had it any other way (looking back at it all now). Without Factory’s ethos, would its bands and the Manchester music scene have thrived the way they did? Probably not. It ain’t always all about the bottom line.

jamj1974

PJM1974
    Free Member

One of my favourite singles.

A good friend of mine lived in Manchester in the early 90s. His colleague bought a flat at auction, with a view to doing it up and renting it out.

Upon getting the keys to the flat, he was stunned to find boxes of vinyl, including a number of white label discs and some original metal master discs. Some of these records were given to my friend, including a couple of the metal master discs. He was kind enough to pass on a couple of white label discs to me, which I keep in a battered box labelled “FACT 275”.

My guess is that the market is awash with Factory Records white label discs, but I’m still hanging on to mine.

Tracey

Prefer the original. Kevin gave all is records, 1000s of them, to the local hospice for them to sell. that was one of the many 12″ singles that was with them.
    Must be getting old as I now listen to Absolute 80s on the radio

stever
    Free Member

Nice. Have you heard the theory this was the prototype (you have to squint your ears). It’s in the loft somewhere 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyHdK_dGPc[/video]

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Great stuff.

shermer75
    Free Member

Shouldn’t this be in the ‘Songs you didn’t know was a cover version’ thread? 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

For the hard of clicking:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLbaOLWjpc[/video]

Drac

Holy shit that was **** awesome!

senorj

10/10.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

very good, but nothing beats the original, amount of times ive been off me head listening to that song brings back such great memories, a true classic one of the best singles of all time for me 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Great memories of the original…..

jamj1974

Prefer the original.

Of course. The original is a landmark record IMO.

Still interesting and well executed though!

SaxonRider

The point wasn’t to compare, but rather to give us an excuse to re-visit the song AND to see the cleverness of the cover…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New Order's 'Blue Monday'’ is closed to new replies.