Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)
  • New Orbea Rallon – anyone ridden one?
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

Sorry guys, I´ve had a busy couple of months and didn´t ever publish the write up my thoughts. I´ve done it now, and it´s linked below but I´ve not had time / energy to proof read it I´m afraid. Any questions give me a shout!

Orbea Rallon R5 – basqueMTB

orena45

Great review Doug, the R5 sounds as good as it looks. If it wasn’t for the fact I still love my R4, I’d be saving the pennies for one!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks. I´m with you, I still love the R4 too! I´m just about to change the bearings after a year of guiding and I´m looking forward to getting it dirty over winter 🙂

orena45

Ha, me too, although I’d prefer it to stay dry like at the moment…it looks best when clean 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

You do yourself a disservice in that review Doug, it’s a better write up then most of the MTB media.

Look forward to seeing Dirt’s in-depth verdict in the series of long travel 29er reviews they are doing.

Would definitely be on my shortlist if I was only allowed once bike.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My Frame should be arriving in the next few weeks.
    Good write up

orena45

@nicolaisam – give me a shout when you’ve got it built up and we can hook up for a ride. Not that I’m itching to see it or owt 😉

P.S. you’re gonna have to change your name on here now ha!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

@nicolaisam – give me a shout when you’ve got it built up and we can hook up for a ride. Not that I’m itching to see it or owt

P.S. you’re gonna have to change your name on here now ha!

Yes mate.
    Old fat slow bloke on nice bike.
    ha ha. Rallonsam

oikeith

That’s a really good review Doug, much better than some of the rubbish you read elsewhere from major reviewers IMO!

I’m looking at picking up the Rallon in the near future and looked online for videos and found some vlogs from BKXC which were guided by Basque MTB on the Rallon, both the bike and the trails looked amazing!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Sorry guys, I just saw this. Thanks for the kind comments. I’m looking forward to the Dirt review too, you should have seen the Dirt journalist, Ieuan, in ten years of doing this and plenty of launches I’ve never seen anyone ride like that. Very nice guy too and seemed to be loving every minute of life.

pigyn
    Free Member

Agreed, great review Doug.

I was supoosed to have written a mini shop review for Pedals by now, the demo bike has been here for months and it’s been booked for demos every single weekend, I have only managed to take it out once!
    Don’t think in the last six years we have been doing demo bikes something has been tested this many times. 29ers have come a long way, traditionally they would only be tested by me!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Agreed, I was very surprised by the 29 thing. I expected it to be bad at all the things I like. I’m not so worried about absolute speed, I enjoy corners and playing with the terrain. More when I’m riding. I’m very happy to have been proved wrong.

addict10

Car park tested S/M for sizing. I’m 5’8 and S/M (Medium in normal sizings) was perfect. Orbea sizing chart was spot on with over lap S/M – L at 5’9. Placed an order for MyO M10 – delivery March 2018

doug_basqueMTB.com

We should have a post photos of your MyO thread 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

Quick question for people who’ve already done MyO, how does the MyO ordering work? Just been having a play and was wondering, is it full payment on the button or do they do it deposit/balance before delivery? Can’t see anything conclusive about this in the site without actually completing a cart.

Not ordering until I’ve had a play on one and couple of other things, but it seems a bit off paying in full with a delivery date six months away? (early May).

mark_rich
    Free Member

I’ve ordered mine through a dealer and paid a 10% deposit, its an upgraded m10 but standard red/black colour delivery early Jan, custom colour was something like April!
    Got a good deal for no finance.
    I have seen another dealer offering 15% of value back in goods which was tempting but didn’t really need anything. Much more appealing than buying it direct from orbea plus the LBS gets a slice too!

vincienup
    Free Member

I kind of went to town a bit on the custom and loaded up an M10 with the E1501’s, Guides and a longer dropper plus a full paint job. I was tempted by the DHX but in honesty I’ve never felt an air shock compromised my riding and it took it too close to £5k for my liking.

Cheers for the answer, time for some soul searching, sofa shaking and a demo or two I think. Out of interest, what else did you have on your list?

mark_rich
    Free Member

Originally was set on a sentinel however I began to think it may be a bit too long/heavy to be an all rounder.
    Also eyed a enduro elite 29 but this year’s are only available in pink !
    Demo’d a XL rallon about a month ago, liked it so thought I’d jump in the queue before it got any longer.
    I have gone factory 36’s, x2 shock and DT1501’s.
    Bought a 170 reverb for £180 and a pair of Sixc 800mm bars for £80 from CRC sale.
    Expensive drivetrain doesn’t interest me as its the first thing to wear out so GX eagle is fine.
    Next month’s MBR has Rallon v Enduro shootout so should be interesting, apparently the rallon was very impressive according to the snipit on Instagram.

mark_rich
    Free Member

BTW demo had a coil DHX on it, pedalled fantastic, could hardly tell when climb switch was on it was so efficient. However I cased a ditch jump and bottomed it out so harsh I had to check the back end was still intact! Had a 500lb spring on it too. After that I thought the coil was too much hassle messing with different springs etc and overkill for the riding i’ll do so went for the X2, also its cheaper.

bajsyckel

Really useful review Doug- thanks for posting. Need to get on the phone to James/Ryan at Pedals too by the sound of it to join the queue for a demo.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My XL Frame in Matte Red/Black has arrived
    Looks sweet
    X2 air shock
    Is now Invisframed
    MRP Ribbon forks should be delivered this week
    Brake hose is ordered as all cables are internally routed.
    GX eagle groupset with Descendant carbon cranks

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Nicolaisam- got a real world picture of that colour? Is it red red or orangey red?

pauljos1
    Free Member

I ordered my M10 with upgraded fork and dropper post today. Been told it’s an April arrival so we’ll see but happy about the wait as I can plough through the worst weather on my hardtail. I ordered from a LBS who used the MyO system to place the order for me. I have paid a 10% deposit and paying full price on the bike but I get 15% of the cost of the bike to spend on accessories which is cool with me as I need some new kit.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The red and black is nice, I´ve ridden one at the press launch. Here´s what I am going to order. M-Team base with the Code brakes and coil shock. At my size the 170mm dropper is good. The X01 is a bit overkill for me, I don´t need the range, so I might talk to them and see if they can change the price and just give me some XT or SLX bits instead. I´m going for a controversial (maybe) grey on grey option. I´ve seen something in the factory and I think this looks great.

chakaping
    Free Member

Grey-on-grey?

😯

At least go for tangerine “Orbea” decals to match the spring.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I like dark blue primary and white secondary, with the orange DHX2 spring – it’d look really smart with the orange forks as well.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Good call, I´ll get my name in Orange too I think. I think that the Matt grey on matt grey will look cool.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Amazing review Doug!

Really liking the MyO customisation; makes you think so many other manufacturers are missing a trick.

It’s a shame that UK dealers seem to be few and far between but probably just as well otherwise I’d be tempted to order a Martini racing colour scheme with a DHX!

mark_rich
    Free Member

Is it not cheaper to go m10 and upgrade that, the price jump to the m team is massive, even after upgrading.
    Added x2 shock, factory 36’s and 1501 wheels and still a grand cheaper.
    Would have gone Matt Orange main colour with black everywhere else but couldn’t wait till April so went red/black for 1st week in January.
    By the time April comes its only a few more months and it’ll be 2019 bikes coming out

fatboy4

ive got a rallon m10 with upgrade forks n dhx2 rear shock , im 5’11 and went for xl in red n black . bike is mega . climbs great , dhx2 shock came with a 500 spring on which was way too strong so swopped it for a 450 and bikes like a magic carpet ride now , ive had two issue so far , seat post is rank and drive side crank arm has a protective boot on and rubs chainstay protector when im hammering the climbs

mark_rich
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the new rallon will take a 27.5+ set up? I’m sure I’d read that it does but orbea don’t promote it, can’t seem to find the article again though. I’ll prob never bother trying it but nice to have the option there.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Fatboy4 is the rubbing just because of the boot? Not flex in the rear end?

b45her
    Free Member

have one in the shop at the moment and doubt very much a 27+ would fit in there.
    why would you want to put a plus sized pootleing tyre on a bike lie the rallon anyway ??

fatboy4

if it didnt have the boot it probably wouldnt rub, but the bike came with boots on , not something ive added afterwards .

nicolaisam
    Free Member

[/quote]groundskeeperwilly – Member
    Nicolaisam- got a real world picture of that colour? Is it red red or orangey red?

POSTED 6 DAYS AGO #

Is an Orangey red, Is difficult to get a photo.
    Sunset red..

Forks are now in UK

Will be built this week

scaled
    Free Member

I’m having a nightmare with the sizing. i’m 6’2 with a 32″ inside leg and the Orbea site is saying S/M or Large.

I’m coming from a large Capra and the geo charts suggest they’re roughly equivalent large to large but now i’m thinking I want to throw my leg over an XL as well, but they’re a bit thin on the ground.

Wotcha reckon?

fatboy4

Im 5’11 and got an xl with 35mm stem . Bike feels perfect size . I know someone else he was on a spesh enduro 29er medium and he went for a size large rallon . If you in peak district you can try my xl

barbs
    Free Member

The red is really difficult to get right in photos, its definitely an orangy red or even a pinky red, not a red red!

I went to see one and have ordered it in that colour and I don’t really like red bikes!

They did have one at D&D Cycles but not sure it’s still there.

scaled
    Free Member

fatboy, I’ve sent you a PM – would be great if i could try the XL

fatboy4

Hi sorry for delay . I live near matlock

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘New Orbea Rallon – anyone ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.