Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • New On-Ones?…
  • deviant
    Free Member

Same as mb51, bought a 456-evo a few years ago now, liked the geo….an evolution of the Summer Season, ordered the complete bike online and waited.
    2 days later someone phoned and discussed the build with me, it wasn’t going to be exactly as per the ad but to their credit they were willing to put branded stuff on instead of their own On-One bars, stem etc….more than happy with that, also when the bike arrived it had the coil spring forks as opposed to air spring ones the ad stated….again this may have been a problem for some but with coil spring trail forks becoming rarer than hens teeth (and in my opinion better) I was more than pleased!
    The bike then arrived several days later with SRAM X9 hubs too even though the ad stated unbranded or in house (can’t remember!?)…bonus, it rode great, easily the best HT I’ve owned but I stupidly bought into the whole “i need a bigger seat tube for a dropper” and “the head tube doesn’t take a tapered fork” nonsense and sold it to get a frame with bigger seat and head tubes.
    Needless to say none of the HT frames I’ve had since have ridden as well due to their ridiculous over built designs.

I’m a fan as you can tell, if I was paying 3k for a bike I’d expect more but On-One are cheap for a reason, still desperate to try the new Dee Dar HT but funds are limited after Christmas at the moment!

sillyoldman

Trek did 29ers before any other mass market brand under the GF brand in 2001.

Stoner
    Free Member

From the Ti29er page copy:

The Ti 29er is the first titanium framed 29er to fly the On-One flag

hang on there sunshine, what the hell have I been riding around on for the last 8 years?

Corporate memory seems to be getting shorter every year…

wwaswas

what the hell have I been riding around on for the last 8 years

I asked myself a similar question when I saw the picture.

But with a different emphasis 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

hardy hardy hah!

Im surprised clink didnt pick up on that too, since he had one of the first.

Northwind

mb51 – Member

But I gotta say all you people bitching about the bikes, come on now. If you’ve ridden them fair enough but I bet you haven’t.
    You’d bet wrong. TBH I’ve ranted enough on here about how mine fell to bits and they lied their way out of a warranty claim, but a lot of us already gave them a chance and learned the hard way.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, and the first genesis bikes came out when I was still in school, long before the 29ers.

But equally, On-One were pushing exactly the same long TT/short stem/steep ST agenda in the UK with the original Inbreds (and the 29ers when they arrived had the correct fork offset unlike most other brands).

Even the 456, while not the first hardcore hardtail, was at the time longer and slacker than most. I remember Brant saying the geometry was so wierd that they actually lied on the tables to make it seem less out-there (particularly the chainstays IIRC).

So historically at least it’s unfair to say they weren’t at the sharp end of things. They’ve just gone off the boil a bit, or rather the whole market has got bigger so the big guys like Trek/Spesh/Giant/Cannondale can justify production runs of niche bikes.

Clink

Im surprised clink didnt pick up on that too, since he had one of the first.

Still regret selling it.

cookeaa

Diamondback produced their “Overdrive” range back in 1992:

Using 622 rims and 45c (1.8″) panaracer smokes.
    Diamondback called it their “super cross series” but these were basically what we would recognise as 29er MTBs today…

Almost a decade before GF “revolutionised” MTB wheels…
    I’m sure someone else will dig out an even earlier example…

jonnyrockymountain

I absolutely loved my 456ti, better than the ti kinesis I had, just wish they would do a 29er version

mb51
    Free Member

I must admit i’ve wondered a lot where ON ONE get their bike names from. I think the 456 has to be the most sensible name they’ve used. I heard codeine came from someone high up in designing the bike who was injured and was on codeine at the time , don’t know if it’s true or not, but seems reasonable. But I always find it hard to work out the Inbred,I always hope its the best parts of several bikes and nothing else.I could go on. I was surprised with their new bikes colour scheme.i guess trying to move forward and not use the same colour schemes is not as easy as it seems. I think they do come up with good deals from time to time, but not all the time. I think they must get good deals on job lots, but at end of day if the savings end up in our pockets it’s a good thing, but you’ve just got to work out the savings on the parts. As for the bikes falling apart my 456 is 2 year old almost and cant say since I built it I’ve had any build problems with it, but I do look after my bikes. And as for the Codeine 650b it’s to early to say on long term. But I heard one person had a problem with with he’s codeine 650b but I think that was a component rather than the bike. But I think it’s luck if the draw, it shouldn’t be but it is. I’ve spoke to people who work in bike shops , who’ve said from time to time in the bigger brands they’ve been delivered dud bikes and had to send them back. My only criticism is having only 1x as I’m not the biggest fan, but can’t have it all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But I always find it hard to work out the Inbred,I always hope its the best parts of several bikes and nothing else.

I always assumed it was a play on the rhyme “Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bread, strong in t’arm, thick in t’hed” (that and their matching rims were the reet ‘ard).

Then again their other frame was the Gimp, so maybe it’s just political incorrectness.

sillyoldman

Cookeaa – nearly mentioned them, but realised they never managed to sell any!

Thisisnotaspoon – The early on-ones just copied Genesis geometry which was around since ’98 I think?

Fork offset is a fair point, but it was suspension fork manufacturers that held that up for a year or two rather than the bike brands.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘New On-Ones?…’ is closed to new replies.