Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New (old) Pitch build.
  • snotrag

Pitch by simonholehan, on Flickr

Quite pleased with this, great deal on the frame from a member on here.

I work in a Specialized dealer so always fancied one of these. Been riding a Hardtail since last year, was time for a change. always rode mediums, including Specialized. Tried friends large Camber, thinking a large actually be more me. At 5’10” I’m borderline for almost every manufacturer.

Read lots about large Pitches being enormous – its rubbish. Its got a long wheelbase, granted, so it looks big, but to sit on it certainly isnt. Look at the stem/post setup given my height – I’m not pushing my luck with this at all – can’t wait to do some miles on it.

Hopefully I’ll be strong enough to push the single ring on this, been a little experiment this Autumn and quite enjoying it.

Feels pleasingly light too, light wheels helps massively and decent if not stupid priced kit – the coil fork being the main place I’d rather worry not about grammes to sacrifice feel!

Sektor RL Coil
    Pro2/ZTR355?Various Specialized tyres
    9spd XT gear, Surly 32 cog, Superstar guide
    Thomsone post+stem, Monkeybars,
    Elixir 5 brakes + Hope floating rotors

rob-jackson
    Free Member

like this alot, any more pix??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Approves*

snotrag

Just the one pic I’m afraid – I only fetched the frame earlier today and swapped all the parts over earlier this evening. Short test ride tomorrow, will take shock pump out to so some fiddling. Feels good though on the ‘bounce test’ and jumping off the kerb at the end of the driveway!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Bit off topic but how did you determine chain length?

First full sus build for me and I’m not sure what length to run the chain.

Edit ….. Just realised its a single ring

atlaz
    Free Member

Nice. Slacker than the average pitch?

snotrag

Single or triple, makes no difference to the theory really.

Put chain or ‘biggest’ combo. Let air out of the shock – pull mech tight, see how much slack you have.

On a suspension frame you can err on the shorter side as the chances of you being in 42/32 gear, AND bottoming out the shock at the same time is pretty minimal… Basically just make sure its long enough not to rip th mech out in any gear combo or any point in the travel.

Edit – maybe a teeny bit slacker, due to the longer form (140mm pike as standard when they were new). But its a coil fork and runs loads of sag so barely noticeable.

Lots of people seem to take the pitch frame and fit really OTT forks and burly DH style components to it, not sure that’s the best way to go really.

Long travel but lightweight is a good combo in my book, and makes for a really fun bikes that are good to ride for hours and hours and hours without beating you up.

seanodav
    Free Member

Lots of people seem to take the pitch frame and fit really OTT forks and burly DH style components to it, not sure that’s the best way to go really.

Not sure you can say this without riding it first? 🙄

flow
    Free Member

The stem is nearly as long as the wheelbase

dodd4721
    Free Member

a friend of mine had a medium pitch with a 160mm Marzocchi Fork up front, it handled like a dream with no lift on steep climbs and was fantastic on the downs, the 150mm rear and 160mm front worked really well and gave a H/A of 66 degrees, one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nice Si. Looks like it’ll be as much fun as my Blur 4X with a similar build.

lucien

I’ve put 160mm Vanilla’s on my Pitch to ride DH in the Alps having spent a couple of weeks riding uphill (and down) in Lake Garda. Handled a dream and go good balance between going up and going down.

I fancy swapping out the air shock for a coil one next……

shinsplints

Looks like it will be a pig uphill.

mccett
    Free Member

Definitely try a shorter stem. They come standard with 80mm, i bought a large (even though every other bike i have is medium/17-18″ and loved it. Meant I could run it with a proper short stem (shorter than standard) and it was great. Looks good condition too, good buy.

finmac
    Free Member

Nice. Like the Pitch a lot, coupla friends have one, ones same colour as yours and is a custom build and its a really sweet bike. One’s a standard 2011 “comp” and feels really nice, I always wish I’d bought one instead of my Camber. They actually climb very well……now, my SX Trail, theres a pig uphill 🙂

bigthunder
    Free Member

Pitches rule! I run mine in an xc stylee with fox 32s and a dhx3 aircan, Short stem and mavic 729s. My mate runs his with 160 36s and I changed his rp23 to a vanilla coil and he loves his as well. Brilliant bikes. Cant believe theyve stopped making them. Vive la Pitch!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New (old) Pitch build.’ is closed to new replies.