Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New (old) car advice – £1,000 ceiling
  • funkrodent

Afternoon all

The missus has just passed her test. Whether or not this is a good thing, or a bad thing, remains to be seen 🙂

However, as it turns out she can’t go on my insurance, we have come to the conclusion that we need to buy her a car for a tear or so until she is established as a driver.

So we’re looking for something that is reliable, cheap to run and insure, not too big and has a decent boot as we’re in line for a visit from the stork and she’ll need to be able to fit all manner of paraphernalia in’t back.

I guess we’re looking at anything up to 12 years old, with about £100k on the clock. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers

midlifecrashes

MX5.

Daffy
    TheFlyingOx

Honda Accord. They’re plenty big enough, okay-ish on fuel. Loads around the £1000 mark, and they’re bombproof.

properbikeco
    Free Member

you’ll get an astra g for that money easy – not pretty or exotic, but will do the job

the above vehicles are likely to cost much more if/when repairs are required

codybrennan
    Free Member

Didn’t this come up the other day, and the answer was a late-model, lead-out Mk1 Focus?

mark90
    Free Member

late-model, lead-out Mk1 Focus

My thoughts exactly.

funkrodent

late-model, lead-out Mk1 Focus?

Thanks guys. Heart says the MX5. Head says maybe not!

MK1 Focus certainly an option. I guess late model would be 03 or 04? Forgive my ignorance but what do we mean by lead-out?

Also, are there any issues with the MK1 that I should be looking out for? Any inside bits of info that will warn me if it’s a potential lemon?

Thanks again

EDIT – Just re-read my original post and spotted a typo that may, or may not, prove to be incredibly prophetic..

we have come to the conclusion that we need to buy her a car for a tear or so until she is established as a driver

Murray

Lead out is when everyone knows the new version is just around the corner so they load the old one with goodies to keep it selling.

codybrennan
    Free Member

There aren’t really, by 2004 they’d sorted most issues out. Look for a non-rusty 1.6 or 1.8 petrol.

eg:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/ford/ford-focus-1.8-ghia-long-mot-exceptional-condition/1122698446

FSH or as close as poss, check for arch rust, and go with condition.

codybrennan
    Free Member

£1000 or so will get you a good one. Look good (IMHO), reliable, comfortable, and drive really well.

Rscott
    Free Member

I know some one selling a rover 214 for 500 quid,it’s a x regarding I think and has a fair few dings usage but runs fine and mechanicalrunns sweet it has got around 130000 miles on it though and it’s based in Preston. Sure he’d take lass as he’s moving to Germany pretty soon.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Focus is a good shout.watch out for rust on the sills and rear arches though.Similar age Astras seem to last well too and are cheap to fix.Not as nice to drive as the Focus but seem to be less affected by rust.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Focus is a good shout.watch out for rust on the sills and rear arches though.Similar age Astras seem to last well too and are cheap to fix.Not as nice to drive as the Focus but seem to be less affected by rust.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

How about letting her choose her own car?

mboy
    Free Member

Somebody round my way was selling an X Plate Skoda Octavia the other day for £750… Wow you might say saracstically, but… It had ha 1 owner from new and only 26,000 miles on the clock! It was a basic 1.8 petrol model, but had got to be worth a punt at that price for what was effectively a Mk4 Golf in drag…

allfankledup

Berlingo, no need to fold the pushchair, it just goes in to the boot….

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Fiesta?

Sorry just realised boot might be a bit small.

orangeboy
    Free Member

being based on a mk4 golf is not a good thing
    Berlingo with a slow dw8 engine depending on your expected mileage

stu170
    Free Member

Depends on where abouts in the world you are, but I have an 02 skoda fabia estate, been used as a biking mobile so plenty of scuffs on roof lining, 4 brand new tyres and mot til Feb, yours for the huge sum of 300 finest sterling

funkrodent

twinw4ll – Member
    How about letting her choose her own car?

You’ve obviously not met my missus 🙂

In all seriousness though, I’d happily let her get on with it, but on this matter she says (and I quote) – “I haven’t got a clue, but I don’t want leather seats”. So there you go and given she’s reading over my shoulder as I type this, I don’t think anyone needs to get their knickers/boxers in a twist..

Thanks for all the advice guys. Fabia may be of interest Stu170. Whereabouts are you, I’m currently in very sunny Manchester..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New (old) car advice – £1,000 ceiling’ is closed to new replies.