Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New North London Mountain Bike Park and Club
  • stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Hi there. I wanted to let you know about The Trax which is a new club and website for the off road cyclists of Tottenham and North London. It is based (and owes its roots and name) around the existing bike track in Lordship rec in Tottenham.

Lordship Rec (big park in Tottenham) has won a large heritage grant and we (iBikeRide.com, Haringey Council and the local parks user group) are building a pretty groundbreaking off road mountain bike track in the heart of an urban setting. It will have a racing track with jumps and berms, a pump track and a shore skills area. Interested?

It is part of a much bigger project to regenerate the park. Although the best bit of course is the bike track, lots of other cool stuff is happening like eco centres, cafes, a city farm.

So please come check us out and if you live in North London come join us as we are looking to build a strong user group to make the new park great and get us riding all the off road top spots London has to offer whilst we build it.

The website is http://www.thetrax.co.uk Please come check us out and join us

kimbers

damn moved to west london!

but might well head that way

us citybound folk are crying out for this kinda park

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

damn moved to west london!

but might well head that way

us citybound folk are crying out for this kinda park

yeah its pretty neat isn't it.. just to warn you..the building has not started yet. We are at stage D of the Designs which means we have done a public consultation and the architect taking in advice from track designers has drawn them up in some detail (you can see an idea on the web site http://www.thetrax.co.uk) and started the costings. Next stage is choosing contractors and working with Haringey council who are pretty leading edge with this concept to get additional funding to what we have already, which is not insignificant. All fun and games
    There is an existing small dirt track and a skate / bmx track in the park today so it is already pretty cycling friendly and savvy which is why we want to start the club and get the community involved at every stage. Plus North lodnion has a few hidden gems that be good to share. .

lyons
    Free Member

sounds interesting… So is it going to b a 4x type track? I guess it's not built yet?

lyons
    Free Member

oops, just read that post… I should have refreshed it…

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

So is it going to b a 4x type track?

Hey..The start of the track will take 4-5 bikes and then it splits out into two tracks. It's pretty flat terrain so we will have a big starting ramp and be ingenious with berms etc but will also require lots of clever design work. Given the terrain and the users I think it will be and needs to be something new and that makes it more exciting as needs to be a benchmark for the rest of London.

It will also have a pump track.

We have had some pretty good detailed input from some professional pump track, 4 X and Downhill trail designers. It's one of those unusual projects that seems to get peoples interest.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Wicked! Just what's needed!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

this is good news. I'm over in Kentish Town but up for helping out in anyway.

simon_g

Excellent news. Friends live just off Lordship Lane, and I'm just down the road in Stroud Green. Glad to see my council tax going on something worthwhile!

senorj

Looks good.
    I'm in EastFinchley – off to Epping this aft.
    I may come and have a look on the way.
    Ace.
    J.

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Folks,

Thanks for the support. We are planning our first ride that starts off around 11.00 at Lordship Rec. We can spread the word a bit about the new site and then ride the little dirt track there. I can point out where the new designed track will be and what the layout will be.

Then 30 mins on the road and we head up to Hampstead Heath for some woodland fun. Might stop by the Highgate station mini park and Queens Wood for a bit on way back to the Rec.

Be a fun day and a real mix. All welcome.

The Trax

whippersnapper
    Free Member

hello stumpy_dan – what day is this ride planned for (don't say this weekend, I'm off to wales). Anyway, if there is a group I really don't recommend Hamstead Heath – you're not really meant to cycle in there except on the cycle paths so you might as well be on the road. Spaniards Wood is great fun but I can guarentee some Hamstead snooty feckmook (learned that word on here yesterday) will start whinging about how bikes are not allowed in there. Which of course they are technically correct, morally they are not – however, I have found its just not worth the effort, especially at the weekend.

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

hello stumpy_dan – what day is this ride planned for

Oopps! forgot to say date

31st Aug Monday 11.00pm..

feckmook

Love it.. I come across a few of these

mikey74
    Free Member

Looks like fun. Could do with one of those where I live, south of London.

beejam
    Free Member

No way, i'm just around the corner in Ally Pally. I didn't even know there was even an existing bike track in Lordship Rec. I'm not that familar with the style of riding that you'll be catering for, mainly because there's been nowhere to prictice jumps, pumps etc. But this will be great to learn airtime and therefore a very useful trail skill. I hope to join you on some of your rides, though like the others i am a tad sceptical on the merits of Hampsted Heath, Higate and Queens woods. Broxbourne and Epping are my usual haunts.

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

i am a tad sceptical on the merits of Hampsted Heath, Higate and Queens woods. Broxbourne and Epping are my usual haunts.

Beejam..You would be daft if you weren't 😉 Nothing in the city will compare to places like Broxbourne and Epping. But for locals without transport they are not that accesible or locals that do have transport but want to cut down on their footprint or for teenagers that want something to do thats fun and healthy but there is little on offer.. This is exactly the drive for the new bike park we are planning. To bring biking to urban settings and so make it much more accesible.

These things only happen succesfully if people get together and organise. Hence the club now:)

Still even though local parks are limiting I agree there is something nice about riding through the city dipping in and out of your favourite parks to find some nice lines to play on. I would not know how to bunny hop today over obstacles if it was not for putting logs in a line at Queens wood. Small jumps hidden behind highgate station and the Heath cut my teeth for places like jump gulley at Swinley. You cant beat the home counties, Welsh and Scottish Trail spots but some of the best stuff to learn on and get into this is out your front door.

I'm not uptalking the facilites at Lordship Rec today they have a good skate park but the little dirt track is 20 years old in design and maintenance. This is still the starting point and the home and heart of the club. The new bike track there will be groundbreaking though:)

I'm off to the Big bike Bash this weekend in a little if I am quiet on replying to any questions but back sunday night..

Aidy
    Free Member

Hmm, that's not miles off (okay, it's not exactly on my doorstep either). Might have to pop by.

Do you really mean 11pm?

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Do you really mean 11pm?

Im a right numpty today

11.am

mcboo
    Free Member

Sounds great, another Haringey council tax payer who does sometimes wonder where the money goes. First that long neglected gem of modernist architecture Hornsey Town Hall gets the go-ahead to become a theatre and arthouse cinema, now we're going to have a little slice of BC in the heart of the borough.

Good work Dan, will come over from Crouch End and lend a hand.

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Just back from a week that started with the Big bike Bash, then off to Forest of dean Fodca trail followed by some gentle Cotswolds riding with family and friends.

Just confirming…meeting tomorrow Bank holiday Monday at 11am at the Skate Park in Lordship Rec, Tottenham. If you around come along

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

This is an awesome news. I am in Arnos Grove 🙂
    What is the post code for that location?

Lanesra
    Free Member

Good effort shame its so bloody far/difficult to get to, I could get to Paris quicker than Lordship Lane and I live in W1

theflatboy
    Free Member

i worked in w1 until last week and live just round the corner from the above-mentioned. you could ride there in about 40 mins!

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Good effort shame its so bloody far/difficult to get to, I could get to Paris quicker than Lordship Lane and I live in W1

Hang in there. I'm hoping that once we have this launched and the socio- cultural benefits become clear then other councils around London will be more likely and less resistance to build other Tracks. I see this as a blueprint. Imagine if you left work and could visit two or three bike parks on your way home commute. A similar concept exists in Leighton Linslade today which has 4 bike parks across 4 pocket parks in the one town so it isn't such insanity to think or more believe this way.

We had the first club ride today. Was lots of fun and knackering also as you combine tarmac with trails on bouncy bikes. Good workout! We did the Rec, Queens Wood and the Heath. I had a wonderful stack right at the end on a jump and am OK but sitting here with frozen peas on my shoulder.

Next ride soon. Reckon we will do more of the same or Hog Hill in Redbridge way, North London. Will post soon.

http://www.thetrax.co.uk

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Just in our new hand painted logo and stickers.. Looks pretty sweet

bike sticker design

The Trax

We will be taking new club membership requests, showing and talking through the new designs for the bike track and giving out some stickers at the lordship Rec Summer Festival on Saturday 12th. Details here

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

We have the first inaugural club meeting on sunday 3rd October at 11am. This is the first official meeting (followed by a local ride). It's objective is to agree the scope of the club, it's activities and how it will be structured and run. Please, come along. All are welcome.

We have a decent hut we can use for regular club meetings in the Lordship Rec just by the kids play area past the stream. We will start at 11am and then do a local ride afterwards for those that fancy. Best to bring a bike lock so you can chain your bike safely whilst we are inside the hut.

Directions here

Proposed Agenda:

*Introductions and background
    *Club Activities to run
    *Local rides, Away day rides, skills, maintenance classes, beginner rides, trailbuilding, events, races, charity and social activities
    *When we ride – calendar
    *Forming and running the club
    *Liability and insurance
    *Membership options
    *Guest riders
    *Under 18 over 13 aged rider requirments
    *Under 13 riders requirements
    *Ride leaders and managing a ride
    *Club meetings
    *Tapping into exisiting resources and organisations
    *Club promotion and communication
    *Club roles and responsibilites
    *Next steps and next meeting.

Hope you can make it. I have been doing some research and work with the CTC and the local rec users forum to prepare for this.

If you can make it then great. Please either post here, private message me or go to the calendar event direct and register here.

Thanks to everyone who supported us at the Festival (we had 4000 turn out) and lots of interest in local cycling and thanks to the Lordship Rec Users Forum for allowing us a regular home in the park. Taking shape.

enfht
    Free Member

Best to bring a bike lock so you can chain your bike safely whilst we are inside the hut.

That's put me off sorry, given I'm local I've been interested to see how this progresses but no "locked" bike is safe in North London. I'd be there if I could keep an eye on my bike throughout, but I wouldn't leave my bike unattended even for 1 minute in Lordship Lane….but good luck all the same

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

That's put me off sorry, given I'm local I've been interested to see how this progresses but no "locked" bike is safe in North London. I'd be there if I could keep an eye on my bike throughout, but I wouldn't leave my bike unattended even for 1 minute in Lordship Lane….but good luck all the same

Why not come for the meeting and leave your bike? If you are close we can wait for you to go get your bike from home before we ride. The club meeting is the important bit. Alternatively we could get a volunteer to watch the bike whilst we are in there. I am sure I could find a mate to help for an hour. I'll check this out.

Security is a big feature when the new bike park launches but for now until then I guess we need to be work out the best way between us.

enfht
    Free Member

Understood, agree about security being a big feature! Just curious but where will the local ride be taking everyone? I live in Enfield/Edmonton and I think I've found everywhere local that's worth riding – none of which is in Tottenham?!

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

where will the local ride be taking everyone?

Not got that far but open to suggestions. We could head over to Queens Wood and then head up to the Heath. Or what is it like Enfield way? Worth a look?

enfht
    Free Member

Whitewebbs and Trent Park are good if you know the trails. I've enjoyed having them all to myself all Summer but I'm moving to Hertford soon and would be happy to show people around if you like? There are some cheeky trails in Monken Hadley but I wouldnt recommend attempting them in groups..

Bumhands
    Free Member

I live in Crouch End so this is very good news for me!
    I've also had fun on those small jumps hidden behind highgate station…

Will come along to the meeting.
    Great to see someone with the energy to organise this.

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

enfht – Member

Whitewebbs and Trent Park are good if you know the trails. I've enjoyed having them all to myself all Summer but I'm moving to Hertford soon and would be happy to show people around if you like? There are some cheeky trails in Monken Hadley but I wouldnt recommend attempting them in groups..

enfht if you don't mind showing us around? we can ride on afterwards and check these out. Sounds good.

Bumhands. I'm local in crouch end too. We could meet at the clock tower about 10.30am and we could ride down to the rec together if you fancy

I'll sort someone to watch over the bikes.

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Should be fine security wise. Just checked with the bike friendly parks committee. You could get about 5-6 bikes inside and the railing outside are in full view ofthe windows in the hut. So think we will be fine. Hope you can make it on the 3rd

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

Hi there..

One of the things we will discuss on the meeting on the Sat 3rd Oct at Lordship Rec, is who to affiliate to? or not? Generally the main advantages of affiliation is the insurance I believe.. but there are other advantages too I hear. I see the choices as either the CTC or British Cycling.

I am wondering if anyone has a view or experiences on the pro's and con's of each scheme be it CTC or British Cycling or any others?

Meeting details here..

The Trax First Club Meeting

stumpy_dan
    Free Member

After a succesfull inaugural meeting the club has formally formed. We are now affiliated to the CTC and have a chair and secretary so are pretty Kosher. Turnout was good and the post club ride was a fun blast. Membership is growing and we are gettign out there and spreading the word.

Next club meeting for Lordship Rec & North London Cyclists
    Saturday October 17th – 10am
    @ Hut by the new playground Lordship Rec
    ALL WELCOME

The next meeting is focussing very much on two things a) offering benefits to the existing local cycling community and b) organising our ride schedule and ride leaders for the next couple of months.
    Afterwards we are heading out to explore Trent Park (around middayish)

Details here:

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New North London Mountain Bike Park and Club’ is closed to new replies.