Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New nomad geometry, not really that new?
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Just looked this up and my 2009 orange blood has the same geometry. So well done orange on being 5 years ahead of the loop and not banging on about it….

*awaits other examples from yesteryear*

tinytimbo
    Free Member

But the orange blood had about 5″ of travel.

To fit another 40mm of rear wheel travel and bigger wheels and make it work is the hard part.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I thought Orange ripped of the Bottlerocket for the Blood*.

So well done Orange on copying something 3 years older

😆

*of cause I could be completely wrong in all this.

DT78
    Free Member

Does the new nomad also weigh the same as an anchor?

elliott-20
    Free Member

Also I’d rather have a Blood/Bottlerocket over a Nomad anyway.

Way too much fun.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Does the new nomad also way the same as an anchor?

Nope, just the ship.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My patriot 66 had 167mm of travel,a 65degree HA and a 1250mm WB in 2006 (It also had a pretty slack seat angle but an inline seatpost went some way to mitigating that).
    Nothing new under the sun.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

My patriot 66 had 167mm of travel,a 65degree HA and a 1250mm WB in 2006 (It also had a pretty slack seat angle but an inline seatpost went some way to mitigating that).
    Nothing new under the sun.

I’d imagine it was heavy and only any good if it was pointing downhill.

Be interesting to compare them though to see if the nomad really is a step forward or not.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

The heckler and five are almost identical too.

jonke
    Free Member

Seriously? I mean really?

chickenman

Santacruz have still not quite got the idea of slack headangle, lots of reach + short stem or getting their frames down to match he weight of the competition. Somebody will come on shortly and say geometry doesn’t matter and to get SC’s amazing warranty they have to be that heavy (need to be designed around 18 stone Yanks doing 20ft drops etc). I’m riding a german bike (aluminium)with a 10 year transferable warranty that weighs the same as a carbon Nomad.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Just looked this up and my 2009 orange blood has the same geometry.

I’m going to suggest that they don’t ride anything like the same though, demonstrating that the numbers are very far from the whole picture.

‘m riding a german bike (aluminium)with a 10 year transferable warranty that weighs the same as a carbon Nomad.

Liteville? Is it as stiff as a Carbon Santacruz? Not so much at the 160mm travel setting if I’ve heard right.
    As for the geometry not bring so long in the front centre, maybe they reckon they have what they need for the market they are aiming for. Maybe that market is you, maybe it’s not.

tomhoward

Heavy? 28lbs for a 165mm travel bike? Hardly a tank??

chickenman

Well my experience of riding a Blur Classic for five years with its steep angles and short reach was one of a constant battle to stop the thing chucking me over the bars (I guess a fused ankle doesn’t help me get my weight lower either). So after one OTB too many I had a good look at the SC bike range and decided that they just weren’t competitive in their geometry and the weight of their aluminium frames (the carbon ones being out of budget).
    I like to ride the really steep twisty stuff so I really do need the HA and reach to be right (it needs to be said there are loads of folk who could ride my old Blur faster down these trails than me on my new mince tank). If I’m buying a skill compensator than it needs to do what it says on the tin.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New nomad geometry, not really that new?’ is closed to new replies.