Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New Nokia – help needed.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Time has come and I should be getting a new handset. A decent camera, sound, memory card that isn't costly, web browsing, not too keen on touch screen. Would love it to take 2 SIM cards but not essential. What would you suggest and why?

camster
    Free Member

No idea on price but I have just got a nw E71 having ditched a touch screen HTC.

I'm very impressed so far, has all you will need and more and has sport tracker which is great for gathering route data.

I'm one of the few in the office not to order an IPhone!

I wanted the newer version E72 or E75. Check out CNET on the web for reviews.

I hope this helps

Hairychested
    Free Member

It does, thanks.
    I already have the E71 but the newer E72 looks the business.

konabunny
    Free Member

I'm new to the whole GPS thing (beyond just getting co-ordinates and then looking where I am on the map) but I have been thinking about getting the e72 as they're going cheap.

Does this: "has sport tracker which is great for gathering route data" mean that I could use the phone's gps signal to track where I have been on a ride and then upload it to, say, Google Maps?

And by the same token, could I download routes for rides from t'internet and have the phone mounted on the handlebars to show me the way?

Also – how do you find media playback on the e72?

OH! Nokia website says that Sports Tracker isn't available for e72, just e71. Piss. Edit again – forums say that you can use other phones' versions on the e72 and it will work, and that you can download data as Google Map compatiable KMZ files.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I bought an E72 for my wife a few weeks ago and I have a Nokia 5800. On all of your pre-reqs (bar your adversity towards touchscreens), the 5800 ticks all the boxes.

I recorded a video on my 5800 and bluetoothed it to the E72. On the E72 it won't play smoothly.

BBC iPlayer doesn't support the E72 yet.

The larger display of the 5800 makes browsing easier.

Both support Viewranger which is a must have if you like the outdoors (most cyclist seem to). Nokia Sportstracker is great, as is the free satnav funtionality of Nokia Maps. Not as good as a Tomtom, but good enough to get you to your destination. The walk mode is useful; The handset vibrates before each spoken direction. You can mute the the voice and see the prompt to take a turn, or just use earphones. You can get maps for any developed country and I used mine in the US. Worked fine.

Touch screens are the future for smart phones! Keyboards, though still popular with some, use up too much real estate, or turn a slim design into a brick. Agreed, the 5800 is a bit thick, but there is the slimmer X6 now. However, to my utter dismay, Nokia don't sell a version of the X6 with expandable memory. They seem to be taking cues from Apple. Stupid!

dave_aber
    Free Member

You can most likely edit the e71 version of iPlayer for the e72. I was using the N95 version on my e71 for a good while before they brought out a e71 version.

Still can't decide if I should go e71 -> e72, or take a brave pill and try a HTC Desire.

MrNutt
    Free Member

do not buy an n97, I have one they are shit!

dave_aber
    Free Member

All the various Nokia n-series I have had the displeasure to own have been shit. The e-series has been a breath of fresh air.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New Nokia – help needed.’ is closed to new replies.