Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Nitromors…..lost it's oomph..?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Was surprised that local hardware store told me that “old” nitromors is no more (says “strips 15 layers” on the tin) Tried the new stuff and it seems far less lethal. Shame

Looks available online for a bit…

LapSteel
    Free Member

I always used the yellow tin….the green tin stuff was rubbish….not sure where you can buy the yellow from nowadays though

letmetalktomark

I found the green tin to be pretty efficient still but only if its applied exactly as it says on the tin.

Dancake
    Free Member

There is a new yellow one too.

Times are slightly different so it might be ok. Apply, 5 to 10 mins then reapply , wait 40 mins.

Orig nitromors blistered almost immidiately but this one hasnt really gone yet. Of course the coat on my Meta frame might be tough..am In the “wait 40 mins” phase right now

wwaswas

or it might be anodised and you’ll be waiting forever 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Caustic soda will remove anodising.

jonba
    Free Member

They are banning the use of dichloromethane in Europe in certain applications. It’s what gives the nitromors it’s oomph. They may have started to phase it out and have put alternative formulations on the market.

Dancake
    Free Member

Looks like I have a few hours of scraping/ re-applying ahead. Top layer shifts easily but layers under that are only softened.

Going to soak longer this time, and wrap in a bin liner so it doesnt dry out quickly.

different bike, different experience. Old kona, paint fell off and whizzy wire brush did the rest.

Meta frame. Paint tough and alloy soft enough that the wire wheel leaves deep scratches in the surface 😯

shouldhaveleftitaloneshouldhaveleftitalone..

glenh
    Free Member

Is the new stuff not getting you drunk enough?

wwaswas

wire brush on a drill on a frame?

Sorry, but no wonder it ended in tears 🙁

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Always handy for neighbour disputes. One small tin will do a whole car. 😈

(btw just joking)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Caustic soda will remove anodising. [b]the frame

Caustic soda will dissolve aluminium, you can use it to dissolve an aluminium seatpost out of an old steel frame!

Nitromors works best on oil/solvent based paints, most bikes/cars etc will be a water based now whichis another reason why nitromors seems less efficient. An old roadie frame will be bare in no time at all, new bikes will take ages.

Dancake
    Free Member

Sorry, but no wonder it ended in tears

eh? Light brush sorted the kona lovely – not a mark.(yes it was alloy) Tried it on this one- did make a mark: Same brush, same drill, different Alloy- I dunno. Anyway Stopped using it and rubbed it back flat

ended in tears>? Hasnt even started 🙂

The tears will come when I get bored of the raw finish and make a horrible gash job painting it

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, you’re now regretting ever starting on such folly… 😆

Mine’s coming along. Little bit each day. The Nitromors is pretty useless, but does soften the paint a bit so it can be scraped/wire brushed off. Powdercoat needs proper nasty industrial chemicals, or a soda blast. Ah well you live and learn.

Always handy for neighbour disputes. One small tin will do a whole car.

This is true. Just a dribble on every single panel. Makes a right mess, and will be a pleasant surprise for the owners, the next morning…

Although I know nuffink about such heinous crimes and woon’t ever condone such criminal activity….

pastcaring
    Free Member

elf any idea how much soda blasting costs to do a frame?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had my frame powdercoated, they were quite happy to take it off me half stripped as their first process is a slovent which softens the paint then they blast it so there wasn’t any need to get all the old paint of myself, infact paying them to do it mught have been cheeper than nitromors!

Cost between £20 and £50, I guess just blasting is probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of that, just be sue they do it with something soft, treating it like steel or more substantial blocks of aluminium results in the frame being eroded away untill it looks like swiss cheese!

Dancake
    Free Member

Well it is coming on, and

Ah, you’re now regretting ever starting on such folly…

is so, so true.

right now the swingarm is almost prepped. Lots of beer and scraping the fiddly bits ahead.

Tested a small area with increasing grades of wet/dry and I think it will turn out ok.

IMAG0228 by Dancake2010, on Flickr

wish I paid someone to do it? You bet but I cant stop now 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

So do you soak it in Old Speckled Hen or brush it on?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Nitromors…..lost it's oomph..?’ is closed to new replies.