Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Multi tool help!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im after a new multitool after getting extremely pissed off with my 3 year old hexus hummer, ive decided to get a new one and hopefully better thought out piece of kit….

problem is, mainly all of the bits are too short, ie, the flat blade screwdriver is about as stumpy as maradona’s acorn willy, and not useful in the slightest, then the allen keys are soft and twist easily….

the chain breaker is quite good admittedly, but the rest im not impressed with at all….

is there anything out there, slightly bigger with longer and better made accessorys? or at least ones that are mostly useable?

z1ppy

I think my crankbro 17 is ace, had it 7 or so years, but I have the same issue with it’s short reac,h for some job’s.
    Maybe a Topeak Alien is the answer?

nsaints
    Free Member

My crankbrothers one rusted, which is poor in my IMHO
    Topeak Hexus is the answer – it’s all I have now

z1ppy

Mine hasn’t if that any consolation nsaints and he already has the hexus & doesn’t like it..

pedalhead
    Free Member

My Topeak thingy is rusted to heck as well, but then I leave it in wet backpacks & saddle bags all the time.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I’ve had a Topeak Alien 2 for a few years now – great tool!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so does the alien have longer tools on it? my topeak hexus hummer i think it is?

z1ppy

from the pictures on wiggle/et all it does…

hilldodger
    Free Member

problem is, mainly all of the bits are too short, ie, the flat blade screwdriver is about as stumpy as maradona’s acorn willy, and not useful in the slightest, then the allen keys are soft and twist easily….

Agree, (but no knowledge of M’s AW 😯 ) which is why I went for proper allen keys, mini screwdriver, tyre levers and chain tool, weight is a bit more but I know if I need them they’ll work 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have an old topeak alien – Its a great tool and does the job fine for me. The only tool I carry

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – Member

so does the alien have longer tools on it? my topeak hexus hummer i think it is?

I don’t really have any issues with getting to anywhere on my bike with the Alien, but I wouldn’t know if they are longer etc. than your current multi tool?

As for soft allen keys etc, I’ve not experienced that either, I wouldn’t imagine any of components that I would be looking to fix with a multi tool would need to be ‘ultra strong’ due to the torque required to achieve the fix? The Alien has always seemed more than capable of completing the job.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Hexus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Multi tool help!’ is closed to new replies.