Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New multi meter required.
  • Davesport

I need/want a new multi meter. I’ve got a couple of cheap(er) digital multi meters but I usually end up comparing readings & not knowing which one to believe.

I need good basic & accurate functions. Volts, Resistance & Amps etc.

I’ve been looking at the Fluke range but there’s masses of choice & I’m not sure which one I need.

Anyone care to make a recommendation please.

TIA Dave.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

You are looking in the right place. Can’t go wrong with Fluke IMHO. I have a very basic one for work. Some of the guys call it ” my first multimeter” but for does all you are asking for.

What are you using it for? Might help point to a suitable model. I use mine for indication purposes only. Hence i dont get it calibrated. Other stuff costs an arm and a let for calibaration.
    Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new one each year for stuff like a basic meter.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve yet to kill my Iso-Tech one – it’s a RS own-brand I think, but very good.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have no problems with my UNI-Trend mulitmeter.

But then I dont need accuracy and Ive never had it calibrated.

Good range of scales and functions. Wont do big currents though.

UT50 range
    http://www.uni-trend.com/UT50A.html

about £25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNITREND-UT50A-MANUAL-RANGING-DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-TESTER-/191062626663?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2c7c385167

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I’ve yet to kill my Iso-Tech one – it’s a RS own-brand I think, but very good.

Posted 23 seconds ago #Report-Post

I found my old iso-tech in the garage at weekend, un-used for 3-4 years, still working, must be 10 years old !!

nickjb
    Free Member

I like the Maplin Precision Gold stuff. My main one is well over ten years old and still works well. Fluke stuff is nice but a bit unnecessary unless you really need the mega precision (were talking fractions of a percent) and then you’ll need to annually calibrate as well anyway.

Davesport

Used mainly on household stuff, auto electrics & anything else that I care to dismantle 😀 The main feature I want is accurate & believable readings that I don’t have to cross check with another instrument.

D.

footflaps

I’m quite annoyed I can’t find my old Maplin analogue meter (bought in about ’86). There’s something about the needle moving about which is so pleasing. I find digital MMs quite dull.

nickjb
    Free Member

Surely for household and automotive stuff +/-10% is easily accurate enough and any meter over a fiver will manage 1%

michaelbowden

My Fluke (78??) is pushing 20 years old, spent a good 10 of those in an automotive workshop. Still on the original leads!

jock-muttley

If you are using the MultiMeter for work, day in day out then go for fluke – as per the Volkswagen Advert you get exactly what you pay for.

If it’s just for occasional use the other recommendation are fine. As for features / functions specify ONLY what you need. I have two Multimeters myself an really nice & basic Fluke (Current, Resistance & Voltage) that I have had for years and years that is built like a tank and gets all the abuse on site and a Wavetek that has all the bells and whistles on it including a frequency counter, capacitance, HFE transistor port, etc. I couldn’t quite stretch to the oscilloscope version (wish I had). The Wavetek is treated like royalty.

marcus7
    Free Member

We use some fancy fluke stuff at work (dont ask me, not my area) and the guys using it really rate it, but if its a multimeter you are looking for with basic functionality then id use iso tech, ive got a few myself (work and home) and they work well and are very robust. they are cheaper than fluke but work just as well. I suppose id look at megger as well but to be honest if you are not using it everyday then id go with the isotech.

Defender
    Free Member

I have a Fluke provided for work, but it stays there.
    My own diy/hobby multimeters are more than adequate as usually all I want is a yes it’s there or no it isn’t, be that AC or DC volts and continuity or resistance.
    I have a Draper, UniTrend and £4.99 cheapo from Maplins that I don’t mind lending out.
    I also have a old AVO analogue meter from BITD and a cheap CRT ‘scope.
    Even when I had access to almost any topline electronic test equipment did I really need to use for home use.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New multi meter required.’ is closed to new replies.