Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New mountain bike trail near Kidderminster & Bridgnorth.
  • Bridgnorth Cycling Club have got an open day coming up for their new trail at Dudmaston, just off the A449 between Kidderminster & Bridgnorth.

The trail is due to be used for Round 7 of the Midlands XC series in August. This is your chance to ride it now.

somouk
    Free Member

Another reasonably local trail, might have to give it a blast on one of these light evenings!

Did you mean the A442? Any details as to where to park? Where the trail head is?

jes
    Free Member

Nice, Graham do you know if these trails be accessible when there aren’t any events on?
    May be a nice loop to this from Bewdley if there is an off road rout from the Severn Valley Park.

Sorry, yes, the A442.
    As far as I know, the mountain bike trail will be open at all times, just like the walking trails through the woods are now.
    Road access is via the track just to the North of the 38 spot height on this map.
    http://binged.it/Qw1aDb
    There should be a proper map on the BCC web site soon, I’ll post the link here when I can.
    I don’t know what car access and parking charges will be at other times.

This was our leisurely route up there today. Mostly off road or quiet lanes from Arley.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/125400163

snapper036
    Free Member

I’ll be interested in the link when it’s posted on the BCC
    Thanks for the heads up though

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for the info – I’ve run round Dudmaston and it’s a nice wood (I guess we need to get the map updated!)

Updated BCC web site with a link to the map.
    http://www.bridgnorthcyclingclub.co.uk/index.html

fasgadh
    Free Member

Good one, I mapped Dudmaston many years ago for orienteering – it is a lovely wood save for the difficulties getting over the main road. Look out for the lumps of Ailsa Craig scattered over the place.

somouk
    Free Member

That new map is loads easier, will try and head up there this week to take a look.

aracer
    Free Member

I checked my map to see who the mapper was, but it says “survey checked by”, I presume it was your survey which was checked? Though I guess one of the people who checked it is a biker…

Bumping this as it’s on tomorrow.

An added bonus that’s not mentioned on the poster,

We have just confirmed that we will be joined on Sunday by Plush Hill Cycles from Church Stretton (they organise the Batch Burner) who will be providing a bike set-up and basic maintenance service

jkomo

Thanks

remoterob
    Free Member

Anyone go? What’s it like?

naffa
    Free Member

Yes I went and had a couple of hours there this morning. There was a good atmosphere, the chaps and chapess’s from Bridgnorth Cycling Club were all very friendly including the OP. 😆
    Plenty of families there although it isnt really a family trail. Its been built for xc race use and that shows so theres no jumps and just a couple of very small drop offs.
    The trail is 3 miles long and is very pedally but also flows quite well in places. There are some neat off camber turns and a short sharp climbs.
    All in all the volunteers have done a good job of making a natural feeling trail that should drain well and bed in nicely the more its ridden.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I rode it today, not bad at all. Everyone I spoke to was very helpful and enthusiastic. It’s not a bad course but I would say family mountain biking day was stretching it a bit. My 6 year old struggled at times, but enjoyed it. The course is not for families like the one in the wyre forest is. But she made it round with a big smile.

Good bouncy castle and slide, daughter made full use of that. All in all, I will be back to ride but with probably without the family so I can have a proper go at it.

Good effort for all those involved

It’s a new trail with no hard surface added, so it can be surprisingly hard work pedaling through the woods on spongy pine needles.
    With use, they should get swept away or packed down to an easier surface.

It was dry yesterday, so the few exposed roots weren’t much of a problem.
    I don’t know what the long term maintenance plans are, but as more roots become exposed, it could get tricky in places on a wet day.

There’s no big climbs, just lots of ups and downs through the woods.
    Some of the downs are followed pretty closely by an up, right after a hairpin bend. I saw a few people struggling in the wrong gear through not looking ahead. Should have bought a Rohloff. 😛

The trail loops back on itself several times. If there are bits you particularly like, or want to avoid, it shouldn’t be too hard to cut across and rejoin.

Some pictures from Sunday.

The trail. http://www.strava.com/activities/130516414/segments/2950638152

Somehow, I’ve managed to get 4th best time on Strava. I’m sure it won’t last.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New mountain bike trail near Kidderminster & Bridgnorth.’ is closed to new replies.