Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New mountain bike SS or geared
  • spando
    Free Member

Hi, I am looking for a steel hardtail. Should I go for 2 x 10 or bight the bullet and go single speed. Have been looking at Ragley blue pig, orange p7, sirius r853. Would like to run at least 130 forks.
    I have just got a genesis day one and loving the SS on the road. A few times a year I like to get in some big mountain rides, cairn gorms, torridon etc.
    Most of my riding is round Tayside area, dunkeld, pitmedden with trips to glentress and laggan. Do you recon SS is too much of a compromise, the simple, light, reliable, quietness of SS does appeal.
    Your views please and pics of your SS bikes would be great too.
    Cheers 😯

joao3v16
    Free Member

1×10.

That is all.

BigJohn

I ride a Cotic Soul which I tend to ride SS because of where I live (Cannock Chase). It’s fine for places where the hills are short and sharp (Welsh trail centres etc.) but for trips to the lakes or the Peak District I put my gears back on.

From what I recall of Glentress, Inners, Mabie I would regard them as long & draggy hills so gears would be my preference.

cupra
    Free Member

I’m not far from you in dundee and ride similar areas with an alfine (8spd). I do have a P7 ss but only use that for local short bursts.

spando
    Free Member

Good advice, 1×10 sounds like the way to go .

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Why not something with an eccentric BB?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

” A few times a year I like to get in some big mountain rides”

It’s times like these when I use my granny gear. Otherwise, 1×9/10 on a mid-weight HT seems versatile enough for most situations.

spando
    Free Member

yeh true buzz I’m thinking 1 or 2 x 10 worth it for those big slogs

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whichever one you dont already have.

I went form a 130mm forked geared 456 to a SS 100mm sanderson life, change is good and SS suits me, my riding style and where I ride, tempted to go for something more ‘jumpy’ next time though, although it’s ace, if a little too ‘steel’ !

Northwind

With a bike like the Pig I’d go twin ring… My 1×9 bike is lovely but it gets away with it because it’s a rigid, the point where I stop pedalling on descents comes pretty fast and it’s very easy to get up hills. So, the gear range it needs is smaller. But a Pig’s a little harder to get up, and capable of far more pace on the downs, so I’d want both a reasonably low gear and a good high gear. Certainly wouldn’t be happy on a 36 front for long hard climbs, or happy with less than a 36 front for descending.

But, ymmv, if you’re considering singlespeed then I guess the reduced range is less of a concern for you.

spando
    Free Member

Cool thanks you have cleared the muddied waters, 2×10 on a pig it is

bazza17
    Free Member

I have a 1×9 setup on my Pig. Ideal for me and my other FS bike is 3×10 and considering dropping two of the front rings on that too

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New mountain bike SS or geared’ is closed to new replies.