Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New mobile time – Replacement for iPhone 4?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

As title, currently got a iPhone 4.

It’s knocking on 3 years old (and still running the original iOS 4. Something…, not been plugged into a computer in over 2 years… 😳 ).

So it’s probably time to get a new phone.

I have absolutely no desire in shelling out in a new iPhone so what are the alternatives?

I’m not an intensive user, only really use email (yahoo), text, phone, maps and occasional camera (usually carry a compact). As for apps, well, apart from metoffice and Flickr I don’t really. Ideally better email than iPhone and comparable Internet access. No social media on phone!

Id like something that has decent battery life and is a decent compact size (i.e. fit comfortably in my trouser/jeans pocket).

In these straightened times I’d like to keep costs to minimum. Circa £20/month preferred (but must be under a £30).

Currently with Vodafone.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

somafunk

Wait till september for the new iphone 5s or 6 to be released?, there’s rumours of deals/a cheaper iphone 5 being brought out to compete with the competition.

And plug your current iphone in and do a software update, it will make a difference.

I’m still using my original iphone 4, i have no glass on the rear and it’s wrapped up wi duct tape but still works, the home button is a bit dodgy and it sometimes loses reception but considering what it’s been through i can’t complain – i’ll be buying a new iphone outright in september and choosing my own plan.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m not gonna rush out today and get a new one.

It’s the iTunes buggeration factor that’s stops me plugging in (last time I tried it started to auto convert all my mp3’s to some apple shite!).

My thinking was why pay £500+ for a new iPhone and £20/month sim only when I could get a new phone for pretty much the monthly cost? And to be honest the phone I have (if the email push was better) would pretty much be good enough.

Oh and the old phone will be recycled to a family member so not just rampant consumerism….

Flaperon

Lumia 925!

dannybgoode

+ one Nokia Lumia 925 – best phone I have ever owned and facebook et al is entirely optional (and you can get metoffice on it).

If that is a bit pricey the Lumia 820 but the 925 is gorgeous…

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm, 820 is in the right price range….

Any other suggestions?

daveh
    Free Member

Nexus 4 @ £240/280 and £10/month on giffgaff? Isopropyl alcohol on your home button BTW should bring it right back to life.

CountZero

It’s the iTunes buggeration factor that’s stops me plugging in (last time I tried it started to auto convert all my mp3’s to some apple shite!).

That’s a set-up problem, not an iTunes issue. It’ll only do that if you tell it to. Same as autoloading your entire library onto the phone; it’ll only do that if you leave it on default.
    Oh, and the ‘Apple shite’ is MP4, a higher quality version of MP3 that’s used for video audio encoding, and is commonly playable on many other devices, like Android. Apple Lossless is also Open Format.
    Apple call their encoding AAC, but it’s a licenced format from the MP3 foundation.

metalheart
    Free Member

That’s a set-up problem, not an iTunes issue. It’ll only do that if you tell it to. Same as autoloading your entire library onto the phone; it’ll only do that if you leave it on default.

That’s as may be but it happened immediately after I updated iTunes. So it’s its fault for changing my set up. Sorry, shit Iike that makes me not want to use it…

Oh, and to my ears my Sony sounds better than Apple, so I’m not really bothered about AAC.

crikey
    Free Member

Galaxy S4 mini.
    Lighter, thinner, faster and all round groovier than the iPhone.

metalheart
    Free Member

I was wondering if someone was going to mention the Samsung.

Guess I need to go and have look/play see what grabs me….

chakaping
    Free Member

In these straightened times I’d like to keep costs to minimum. Circa £20/month preferred (but must be under a £30).

Buy a handset and go sim-only.

dannybgoode

If you go the buy handset / sim only check the Lumia 620 and 720 (or even the 820 – now around £199 on Amazon).

metalheart
    Free Member

Buy a handset and go sim-only.

That’s what I did the last time… I’ll probably go down this road again.

I kinda liked the look of the 520… nice size for the pocket… What’s the difference to the 620? Reason I ask is 620 doesn’t seem to be available on Vodafone (easier to stick with existing… yeah, lazy, I know!)

How do the nokias work with yahoo mail?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New mobile time – Replacement for iPhone 4?’ is closed to new replies.