Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New mmmBop build advice needed
  • georgekirc
    Free Member

Hi guys. I have just bought a ragley frame and got a really nice custom paint job done. I am about to start a build with a budget of £800. I plan to use it for local trails and enjoy night runs 13 miles or so… Nothing too serious. It will be my only mtb however so I would like it to be able to handle trips to Scotland etc too. I am just a little worried about wading into such an investment. Will it be worthwhile or should I just get a second hand hardtail or full dissed? Also has anyone got any advice on the components I should use?

mrblobby
    Free Member

My mmmbop is pretty much the only bike I ride off road right now. Other than for xc racing there isn’t much I wouldn’t use it for.

Got it built with a 60mm (thompson) and 710mm bars (easton carbon haven) which is about right for rides with a reasonable amount of pedalling. Got a 150 Revelation fork that I mostly run at 120, may get the spacer kit as I think about 130 would be ideal. Have 1×10 with XT cranks, a renthal 34t ring, and X9 mech, shifter and cassette. Have an LG1+ to keep the chain on but just use the top guide at the moment.

It’s a fun bike to ride. Some may claim it’s harsh but I reckon it’s just lively 🙂 Not sure what your thinking is behind buying another different bike.

Lets see the custom paint job then?

Edit: wheels… I started out with flows on hope hubs but changed to crests. Was a bit worried they’d not be tough enough but they’ve been fine and the lower weight makes the bike feel quicker.

Double edit: budget was quite a bit more than 800 quid 🙂

Scapegoat

Your budget should get you home but you’ll make a few compromises along the way. They run best at 130-140 travel, so you’re gonna need a secondhand fork or a budget coiler. Superstar have their Tech 2 Switch AM wheels on offer at £105, I doubt you’ll do better than that anywhere except used. Deore groupset and brakes from German sites, or again, go for the classifieds here where you can generally pick up SLX or XT cranks for £60-£80, the same with Mechs. Scour CRC for cheap bars, stem and seatpost, or check Superstar and On ONe who also knock budget CNC kit out and occasionally have sales/promos. Tyres from Bike-Discount.de

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Mine was built quite cheaply – old fox floats 130mm, 1×9 with a superstar guide,formula oros, Thomson, easton bits and bobs, mavic cross rides. Cost me about 700-800quid and has been cheap to run (pads and tyres being the only cost in the last couple of years).

Have put my full suspension bike away for the winter so my ragley will be the only bike I use for a while…. So have just ordered some superstar arch/switch wheels to replace my mavics. Recently put a bontrager mud tyre on the back and last weekends very muddy ride reminded me how much fun it is.

messiah
    Free Member

I like them. Highly capable and great fun.

How I had the 18″ built up.

How I currently have the 16″ built up.

I found the 18″ a bit big and the 16″ is a bit small. As above I’ve found 130/140mm forks to be the best – The Revelation fork on the 18″ was lovely and light but the Fox 36 (shortened to 130mm) makes for a more grrrrrr bike due to it’s stiffness… but either is good. Short stem and wide bars works well… I’m running a 45mm stem with 745mm bars.

If you know what your looking for building one up with a £800 budget will be fun. Because of the 1.5 headtube it’s possible to pick up bargain 1.5″ steerer forks, headset and stem; leaving more of your cash for the wheels. The Reverb is a luxury, for bargain seatpost/saddle consider I-beam’s which can be found dirt cheap.

1*9/10 drivetrain works well for me… it’s a stiff frame so getting out of the saddle and working it instead of spinning feels good.

Enjoy!

Mugboo

I have just removed a perfectly good 9spd drivetrain, SRAM chain, pg990 Redwin red 11-32 cassette with deore front rings 36/22 & bash. Xt mechs. grips too. I also have a Firex chainset I can throw in and no doubt a pair of tyres from my rubber mountain.

Email me at mugbooatgmaildotcom

Those superstar wheels sound cheap (research them first though) and I believe Sektors ate cheap at Merlins.

My hardtail has 2nd hand Pikes are good, especially after adding the newer rebound damper and they are v reliable.

Probably choose your fork first so that you know what axle standard you need.

Buy some deore brakes from Merlin or Germany. 2nd hand bars/stem/seatpost/saddle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New mmmBop build advice needed’ is closed to new replies.