Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New middle chainring required – recommendations please
  • Vortexracing

Currently running the std XT middle, but it needs replacing.

I have been looking at the middleburn ones on CRC. (34t)

The std unramped ones are £22 or FSA are £12, the ramped and pinned/hardcoat etc. are £28

Is there any need to go for ramped and pinned or will std middle rings do the job just as well?

cheers

Dave

uplink
    Free Member

Blackspire Super Pro have served me well over the last few years – worth looking at

Vortexracing

Was looking for a 34t. Those merlins are 32. don’t seem bad value though. cheers for the link

mcboo
    Free Member

Middleburn…..look lovely, shift slick, last for ages and British.

Vortexracing

ramped or not?

daim

Another vote for Middleburn here.

ScotlandTheScared

Middleburn hardcote slickshift (i.e. ramped and pinned) – the hardcote makes them last longer in my experience and they seem to shift well…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Assuming you are running more than 1 chainring then definitely ramped. Middleburn hardcoat slickshift are great.

tinsy
    Free Member

If your running a granny ring you need the ramped ring, Middleburn are good but just a plain old Deore ring will last as long (maybe longer) and shift as well (maybe better), could pop an LX/Hone one on if your really flush…

I just wore a middleburn hardcoat out, it served me well, but the 2nd hand LX one I popped on so I could get the last out of my chain and cassette shifts noticably better that the middleburn did.

Weight difference between the ally Middleburn ring and the steel deore is only a few gram’s..

Vortexracing

It’s for a twin and bash.

Can you get 34tooth Deore? I didn’t think you could.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You can get 36 tooth Deore. Not sure about the 34. I would get the Steel Deore. They shift well and last longer than any other ramped ring. Weight difference is next to nothing. Its worth running an alloy granny steel middle and alloy outer IMO. Going for a 36 tooth middle always make sense to me as I can run it in that ring for more of the time and save the outer ring for the road. Also I’m thinking of going to 26 on the granny ring to get more use out of it.

glenp
    Free Member

Yep – steel Deore. I used to use Blackspire, which are very good and look nice. But then I realised that you can barely even see the middle ring and in any case who gives a toss? Steel Deore is functionally identical, a fraction of the price and lasts for ages.

tinsy
    Free Member

Sorry I managed to gloss over your 34t requirment. Seths right though there is a 36t.

glenp
    Free Member

Surely that doesn’t particularly matter? Just use one gear shorter on the rear for a similar ratio?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New middle chainring required – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.