Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New MG
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ve just seen one. I had no idea they were back.
    They still look like granddads 75. Really didn’t look that nice.

Harry_the_Spider

There was a review of it in The Sunday Times a couple of months back.

At that point only 13 had been sold so far this year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, there was a demo near us and it was as cheep and prastic as you’d imagine a chinese copy of a 90’s rover to be

piemonster

I used to own a 90’s Rover 216, second worst car I’ve ever driven. Only Fiat Pandas have been worse.

iolo
    Free Member

I had a Metro Gti 16v. It was fantastic

footflaps

There was a review of it in The Sunday Times a couple of months back.

At that point only 13 had been sold so far this year.

Yep, they weren’t terribly complimentary either!

Must be the worst selling car in the UK….

teethgrinder

I wish my 75 had been a diesel.
    My 400SDi was ace…never less than 45mpg.
    I would kill to have my old 220 coupe turbo back.

mrben101
    Free Member

There is a new hatch launching next month. Looks better than the MG6 saloon thing, no idea how it drives though. I’ll be sticking with my TF I think 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

4 of those 17 they’ve sold are in the lot at The Car Shop in Cardiff.

Guessing the rest are somewhere similar!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s not an MG is it. It’s a Chinese car rebranded for the european market. They are where Korean cars were 10 yrs ago. Korean cars are now as good as anything else on the road – just dull as dishwater.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unless your definition of car is something purely to get from a to b then your Deluded

Korean cars are better than they were but they are still ergonomically crap.

Horrible places to be for any length of time , back ache , sore legs , sore neck ,

Built for small people

john_drummer
    Free Member

recent experience trail rat? name & shame 😉

mightymule
    Free Member

It is not an MG.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hyundai i10 rental with work

Practically lay back in the thing to fit withut my head in the roof or looking through the sun visor. – same as it was 13 years ago in my last korean car.

And like my current vauxhall the pedals are not inline with wheel and seat

The peugeot 107/citroen c1 varients ive used is a much nicer small car to drive any distance

john_drummer
    Free Member

well if you look at the outside of an i10, it’ll give you a pretty good clue that it’s not going to be a tardis.
    have you tried an i40 saloon or tourer? or an ix35 or Santa Fe? or perhaps a Kia Sportage?

I hate small cars. crumple zone? what crumple zone?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rentals cost on size . 1 driver gets the smallest availible.

How ever geting into it brought back the crippling pain memorys of my lantra :/

A santa fe would be a candidate for replacement of my frontera when it dies if it was better inside 🙂

footflaps

You should try a Kia, really nice cars and on a par with VW, Audi etc.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve seen two of the MG’s. One in Plymouth and one in Yarmouth. On both occasions it look bobbins. Not driven one though. Also saw Great Wall pick up truck. There’s even a dealership in Norwich. It’s basically a copy of an L200. Having driven an L200 from Lowetoft to Sky and back, I think they should have chosen a better pick up.

zokes
    Free Member

You should try a Kia, really nice cars and on a par with VW, Audi etc.

I assume this is ironic?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you didn’t try the 214?
    Everyone I knew who owned one had to see if we had a unique fail, everything failed.

MrOvershoot

mikewsmith – Member

piemonster » I used to own a 90’s Rover 216, second worst car I’ve ever driven. Only Fiat Pandas have been worse.

you didn’t try the 214?
    Everyone I knew who owned one had to see if we had a unique fail, everything failed.
    On the other hand I had a 414 for 10 years that apart from 1 head gasket worked perfectly over the 120,000 miles I did in it.
    I did drive it like my hair was on fire which used to catch people out as usually they were driven by old giffers at 32mph in all situations 😉

tang
    Free Member

Still at least they are sponsoring the mg maxifuel road team. Inc a good ladies outfit with Hannah Barnes winning everything.

khani
    Free Member

I had a Rover Metro, apart from the test drive, it never once managed to complete a journey without breaking down..
    Not once! It literally broke down every single time I used it til I swapped it for a 1.6l Capri that never broke down at all..
    They deserved to go bump for being absolutely shamefully rubbish…

stufive
    Free Member

+1 for 220 turbo they were rockets i also had a 25gti which was great but i fell out with it when the head gasket went 🙁

maccruiskeen

Korean cars are better than they were but they are still ergonomically crap.

Horrible places to be for any length of time , back ache , sore legs , sore neck ,

Built for small people

Bit of a generalisation there – I hired a Kia Venga for commutes back and forth between Ayrshire and Loch Broom. 6’6″ with back ache and sciatica and its bar none the most comfortable car I’ve ever driven. Better thought out too – you can close the electric windows after you’ve stopped the engine – a revelation.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I had a new Rover as a hire car a few months ago. Not much to write home about.
    Strange turbo engine, harsh, noisy, not that quick. Weird cobbled-together dash and instruments.
    OK-ish to drive.

konabunny
    Free Member

I used to own a 90’s Rover 216, second worst car I’ve ever driven. Only Fiat Pandas have been worse.

Just you take that back about the Panda!

zokes
    Free Member

Better thought out too – you can close the electric windows after you’ve stopped the engine – a revelation.

Even my Land Rover lets you do that!

mikey74
    Free Member

I had a Rover Metro, apart from the test drive, it never once managed to complete a journey without breaking down..
    Not once! It literally broke down every single time I used it til I swapped it for a 1.6l Capri that never broke down at all..
    They deserved to go bump for being absolutely shamefully rubbish…

My first car was a Rover Metro and it was a proper little workhorse. I amazingly managed to commute 120 miles in it every day for 3 years and only once did it breakdown, when the clutch cable went.

khani
    Free Member

Mine never completed a journey 😥
    funnily enough I’ve got a Panda now and it’s been ace!.. One of the cheapest to run, most fun to drive, and reliable cars I’ve had..

spence
    Free Member

Well they’ve just taken first and second places in todays opening race of the BTCC at Snetterton.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

4 of those 17 they’ve sold are in the lot at The Car Shop in Cardiff.

I’ve seen two of the MG’s. One in Plymouth and one in Yarmouth. On both occasions it look bobbins. Not driven one though. Also saw Great Wall pick up truck.

Well they’ve just taken first and second places in todays opening race of the BTCC at Snetterton.

so thats 8/13 tracked 🙂

The great wall stuff is cheap…they also left some asbestos in there despite it being illegal in some places they sell them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye the scrappys wont even want the great wall stuff when its mot is due in 3 years…..

Its a copy of a mk1 or 2 l200 from the late 80s /early 90s isnt it ? – certainly bares more in resemblence in size and shape to one , much smaller than current hilux/l200 variants

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I used to own a ZT-T and liked driving it but it was becoming a bit of a hobby keeping an eye on things and mpg was terrible so it went.

The MG-Rover.Org forum chaps did a Hitlers Bunker video after the Clarkson review;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BFpjdpJxr8I[/video]

ivantate
    Free Member

My mgs and rovers (pre2004) were all fine as was was my Panda. Would have any of them again.
    anyone who slates a panda really doesnt have a grip on reality. (but probably spends time gripping the dashboard just to determine if it is the magic soft touch for the full 5 stars)

Great Wall is based on an old GM truck.
    Just check out what the taliban use now, no toyotas, all chinese trucks.

piemonster

Ooh defensive.

Nope sorry still the two worst cars I’ve driven, I’m sure there are worse. I’ve just not driven them.

iolo
    Free Member

This new one was seen near Llanberis. After reading that review it’s quite a surprise it go that far

STATO
    Free Member

Just check out what the taliban use now, no toyotas, all chinese trucks.

Sponsored tho arnt they, you can never trust someone who is sponsored to give their true opinion on a product 😛

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New MG’ is closed to new replies.