Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Merida 140 & 160
  • adsbatts89
    Free Member

These two are looking particularly appealing and are currently battling it out for a top 3 in my imaginary new bike dilema showdown. I wouldn’t normally have considered them but I have the opportunity to get one at a good price and my Merida road bike is great quality and looks ace. Anybody have any experience or know anything about the top range 140 or 160?

Merida 2015 line up

coblck
    Free Member

I have merida 2014 140b and its fantastic, ive owned many other manufacturers and this is as good as them all, much more kit for your money, frame geometry is bang on so i have decided to start blinging it up. What mountain bike had it number 1 spot for sub 1500 trail machines for a year so can t be all that bad. Alot of people will overlooked them but there is a good chance there bike frame is made by merida and rebadged as there one of the largest frame manufacturers in the world ( i know some specialized are made there)…..ALso the 140s are actually 145mm rear travel.

egb81
    Free Member

The One Sixty 900 is the same colour as my hardtail so it would be rude not to have one. Sadly the £3k+ asking price somewhat stumps me though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve a 2014 140 1b.

Tis awesome but i wpuld change the fork. Got a fair bit of money off it (400 off) Bike radar hated it.

But then bike radar said the lesser spec version on the UK market (the 5b) was awesome.

Read the reviews of both online, read the 5b then the 1b review. Like they are talking about a completely different bike.

Here is a good review:
    http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/tested-merida-one-forty-b/

Here is bike radars 5b review;
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-merida-one-forty-5-b-14-48206/

Pay attention to the last few paragraphs then read;
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-merida-one-forty-1-b-14-48484/

coblck
    Free Member

thats the one i have 140 5b with some upgrades now

adsbatts89
    Free Member

@egb81 – The colour for the 160 900 looks amazing in the pics. Hoping to get down to the Nottingham head office soon and see one in the flesh.

@olly2097 – Thanks for the reviews. Looks like they’re starting to come round to the modern trends in geometry (long top tube, slack head angle etc). I was worried it might be a bit to ‘xc racer’ style and be pants DH.

Need to try and find a demo bike to try next!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

They’re awesome, but then I would say that…

Good levels of spec for an LBS brand, lifetime warranty on frames, bearing life is good and they are all regular sizes – no ludicrously expensive bespoke bearing kits required – internal cable routing is done well and is quick/doesn’t require the use of tiny robots to replace.

Sold a 900 to a friend at Christmas and it has absolutely transformed his riding.

If Olly2097 is who I think it is, I sold him his too 😀

adsbatts89
    Free Member

The quality of the Merida stuff is really good. That’s the main thing that’s made me consider them.

@Adam
    @Bikeworks – Do you know anybody who does demo bikes? Also, I’m 6’1 (the awkward L/XL height) what size would you suggest. I can only seem to find 19″ frames.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

19″ should be fine for you.
    The 160 only comes in Little (17″) or Big(19″).
    I’m an inch shorter than you and I find the 19 feels pretty big.

As for demo bike… Merida UK don’t have a demo fleet (which is something I bring up with them constantly…) So you’re gonna need to find a shop near you that has a demo one of their own – whereabouts are you?

adsbatts89
    Free Member

@Adam@BikeWorks – Brilliant, thanks. I figured 19″ would be suitable. I’m based in Nottingham, home of the worst mountain biking in the UK.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Ideal, rock down to Wilford, bang on the doors and ask them why they haven’t got a demo fleet!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Merida 140 & 160’ is closed to new replies.