Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New mega trucks may be coming
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

If you think current trucks are dangerous, these are way longer (25m vs16m) with bigger blind spots etc. While they are in theory not currently coming to Britain, their acceptance in Europe about to be voted upon and is supported by the UK. This is the thin end of the wedge as once they are in Europe, pressure will bear on UK to allow them also.

Apparently trucks are involved in 50% of London’s cyclist deaths, despite being only 4% of its traffic.

This mostly paraphrased from http://www.freightonrail.org.uk/NoMegaTrucks.htm

If you think this is bad, email your MEP not to vote for them!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

😯

brakes
    Free Member

jeez. surely they’d only be allowed on motorways transferring goods from hub to hub?

br
    Free Member

Imagine been one of the Drivers, as they won’t have a choice in the matter.

ads678

They would have to be restricted to major highways as they would simply not fit on the majority of the UK’s ‘normal’ roads.

Doubt you’d see them driving around london streets.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ads678 – Member
    They would have to be restricted to major highways s they would simply not fit on the majority of the UK’s ‘normal’ roads.

That is the current argument – but they’d have to get to distribution hubs etc at least which are not on motorways/main roads.

Thin end of the wedge.

Phil_H

Did a UK haulier try to force a test case with one of these a few years ago?
    I remember the initial arrest being reported but not what the out come was.

chrismac

I would be interested to know what their total weight is and its distribution. My concern is depending on the answer above, is the road strong enough to take the weight and crash barriers etc suitable to catch them when it goes wrong

rOcKeTdOg

Ooh I’d love a drive in one of those

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Common as muck in Southern Africa.

This study might answer questions concerning axle-loads and turning circles – the axle limits look similar to the UK/EU. One of the conclusions is that interlinks have a high payload efficiency – running and pavement wear costs versus load carried.

Granted our roads are not so twisty as in the UK but access from highway to industrial areas have similar geometry, and the report does say that interlinks are best suited to long distance haulage (compared to other truck configurations, it doesn’t address road v rail).

MSP

I hope they don’t get voted in in Europe full stop.

UK’s ‘normal’ roads

Same as the rest of Europe’s roads.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

A MacDonalds one. Or more.
    A WalMart one. Or more.
    A Tesco one. Or more.

All shuttling up and down the motorway, depot to depot.

What’s a logistics managers view on this? Would be a riot to see one in and out of the Scottish distribution centres along the m8.

HUGE!

D0NK

wouldn’t fancy tom’s chances if this had been one of those.

qwerty
    Free Member

No way a truck like that could physically get through central London. That length would span multiple sets of traffic lights & junctions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New mega trucks may be coming’ is closed to new replies.