• This topic has 199 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 200 total)
  • New Mayhem venue/course, a mini review
  • vickypea
    Free Member

Have to smile at this thread- the percentage of folks claiming to have cleared every climb with ease doesn’t tally with what I saw when I was out on my laps 😀

monkeychild
    Free Member

Did anyone else think the red line on the number board for us soloists was crap? Mine had gone in no ome at all. diamond last year was better.

hanneke
    Free Member

I think they should issue numbers for the back of the bike for soloists, or flares like I had at Torq in your sleep 12:12 last year. That way, riders coming up from behind will know there is a soloist ahead, who will obviously be slower AND needs a supportive comment 🙂

Vicky, I am with you, I saw hardly anyone clear those climbs bar a few of the top guys…

I tried… and failed, mostly 🙂

gee
    Free Member

Flares on the solos would be a good idea, although I found team riders swerved around uncontrollably just as much.

Didn’t say before, but what a fantastic ride from James Braid to win the solo – massive result for a man on the up and up.

I rode all the climbs apart from garlic bread. The one after the red bull decent was tricky as you had to keep riding round people walking which added to the challenge of slippy loose rocks! The grassy ones hurt more for some reason – I think it was the bumps. My point was not to moan about having uphills – it was that the event needs the masses to enter to make it viable and having climbs everyone has to walk up might put off the masses…

On reflection the course did hold up better in the rain than Eastnor – our rider who was out for the duration of the rain at about 1pm came back in covered in muddy splashes but no clogging. I may have got lucky with my lap timings though as I never found it that bad – I ran Ralphs the whole race.

GB

rOcKeTdOg

for the pedantic record, MM has never been at Eastner, however Eastnor has been the venue many times

manderson
    Free Member

Good point vickypea… I reckon 90% walked the climbs. My lap times were between 53 mins and just over an hour at night so id argue the toss to be called out and out slow or unfit. I do want to be able to ride the whole course though.
    Regarding solos, it would be great just to stick something on their seatposts. I had to look over my shoulder every time I thought I passed one in the night to give them a supportive comment. Those guys deserve evwry bit of encouragement the rest of us can muster. Make it easier for us.

njee20
    Free Member

Good point vickypea… I reckon 90% walked the climbs

And the rest, 95% at least I’d say. I saw one person do the one after the RB section. Definitely agree with Vicky and Gee. It seems folk aren’t put off by climbs that are unrideable by the masses, which does surprise me frankly. It put me off and I did ride most of them, ish!

mr_stru

I enjoyed the course. The climbs were certainly slightly steep in places and not rideable every lap by me but not impossible either. I personally don’t mind a chunk of nice double track as it’s recovery time for those of us that are, er, less competitive 🙂

I think that the first descent was probably more of a concern for the less experienced riders as, despite comments above about the course not being technical, by the end it was the sort of thing you only really get on black routes at trail centres. Fun for some of us but I think that was about the limit of what you can get away with at this sort of event before you put people off.

Not being in amongst the course while camping was did lose a bit of the atmosphere but the improvement in the camping area more than made up for that. A large area of flat, well drained, open land was just fantastic. So much better than Eastnor’s ‘hunt the least sloping area’. And it felt like the average distance to the arena was much smaller than at Eastnor.

I’d certainly be pleased to see it back there again next year.

gee
    Free Member

Ditto – I’ll definitely be back next year and hoping they build some more trails like the first section.

GB

tazzymtb

but what a fantastic ride from James Braid to win the solo – massive result for a man on the up and up.

totally and a

massive round of applause to steve day and julian rider 2nd n 3rd solo..both singlespeed 😯

emac65
    Free Member

for the pedantic record, MM has never been at Eastner, however Eastnor has been the venue many times

Capital “F” not working on your keyboard matey….. 8)

cakefest
    Free Member

i’m going to put a big shout in for my Alaskan Puppy team mate Chris Pill who came 4th solo male in his first ever 24. respect to you Chris, and i hope you’re now enjoying your 2 week holiday in France.

Elmo
    Free Member

Who were the other Photographers at Mayhem?
    I had at least 2 pictures of me took on course, but the only one up is of me stuffing my face with a burger in the arena!

I need to re-dress the balance!

mokl
    Free Member

On balance I enjoyed it, but as a solo rider with no support it was a bit annoying to not be able to jet wash and there was no way I was going to stand in line for over an hour to get my drive train working. Thought that was a bit of an oversight to be honest, although I appreciate most of the solo riders have more than one bike/ people to help keep them going. I had quite a few problems with muddy clag on laps 2 and 3 (after and during the rain) but it did improve. Mud clag from tyres still wore through the paint on my chainstays though! It would be really good to have something to stick on the seatpost as a solo rider so people realise that after 20+hours you may not be making the best line choice or responding so quickly to calls of “on your left” etc. The atmosphere was great and rider camaraderie was really good – I met some really cool people out on course. I only really encountered one c***-end on my 12th lap. He was complaining about my line choice on the first descent and shouted about me being dangerous. He actually did me a favour because as he came past me on the flat shouting his tosh I found some untapped reserves and came past him on the first climb. I didn’t see him again.

composite
    Free Member

Did anyone get some “helmet cam” of the good bits?

LS
    Free Member

On reflection the course did hold up better in the rain than Eastnor – our rider who was out for the duration of the rain at about 1pm came back in covered in muddy splashes but no clogging. I may have got lucky with my lap timings though as I never found it that bad – I ran Ralphs the whole race.

I went out for a two-lapper on Ralphs at 12.45 and came in just after 2 so had most of the rain. The course became very slippery for a time then cloggy as it dried a little. After last year I did think it was going to be another disaster but the rain stopping saved it. If it had continued the course would’ve been just as ‘bad’ (doesn’t bother me that much tbh, an uncovered transition is more of a bother). And the climbs did seem too tough for the majority from what I could see. Although to be honest judging by the number of crashes, some of the descents were too tricky as well!

Jason
    Free Member

My wife’s write up from the race is here: http://www.xcracer.com/viewblogpost.php?blog_id=534

She rode all her laps on Racing Ralphs. She did switch to mud tyres after her first lap, but the course had dried enough before her second lap so had a quick switch back to Raplhs.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I was looking at the photos on Rob Crayton’s site, noticed that one of the winners on the podium was an old uni friend of my first boyfriend. Small world! 😮

Mind you, I remember him being mildly amazed that I’d grown up by Cannock Chase but had never ridden a bike there…

Also, the climbs were fiiiine…. :p

neilm
    Free Member

This was my first Mayhem, and my first ever mtb competition, and overall I enjoyed it a lot.

On reflection, and looking at the photo’s, next year I’ll do at least one lap during daylight hours, as riding only at night, I think missed a lot, including conversation, as at night I think everyone was in a bit of a bubble, with two exceptions, first was the guy who said ‘nice lights’ as he went past me and the other was the pair of guys chatting away while riding through the Red Bull section, as if it was a Sunday morning trail ride, and still going faster than me.

As trackside camping is never going to be an option at this venue, how about some strategically placed stands for watching, encouraging, heckling, out on the course.

brodiephoto
    Free Member

Kevsterjw – Member
    Does anyone know who the photographers were and how to get to their work?

Who were the other Photographers at Mayhem?
    I had at least 2 pictures of me took on course, but the only one up is of me stuffing my face with a burger in the arena!

I need to re-dress the balance!

I took 400+ shots over the weekend, whilst waiting for ‘my’ team to come round each time; few samples already posted and rest will be up sometime tonight –

Mayhem 13 photos

Steve

dodgergammon
    Free Member

My team mates and I were all of the same opinion regarding the course. Whilst we were amazed at the lap times achieved by many riders, we felt that the vast majority were forced to walk a lot of the climbs which must have meant it was too tough for most?

OK, I’m a 46 year old 15 stoner and before last weekend was a MM novice, so I certainly need to work on my fitness before bleating too much about how tough the course was. It was lacking in singletrack descent and I personally thought if it had been run in reverse it may have been better?

I met Pat after the event and he was keen to encourage my friends & I to be very vocal on social networks, in order to show sponsors the level of interest the event could generate. He refused to answer why he couldn’t provide a WiFi tent – which if there was one would have allowed us to much more easily communicate via our Apps / Social Media.

It would have been good to know that Princess Anne was going to be at the awards ceremony, as I may then bothered to have turned up.

Camping, toilets & showers were Ok, but for those of us who camped on the Sunday night, these facilities were removed from use. The promise of facilities at contractors village failed to materialise so were left without anything from Sunday mid-afternoon, thanks Pat!

As a first-timer it was impossible to gauge the festival experience, but there could have been more to see, do & buy.

All up a good first experience of a MM event, but there’s certainly room for improvement – starting with some better information upfront, rather than trying to create a mystique and drip feed the info.

tang
    Free Member

Pat said in our staff meeting ‘we’re dancing on new floorboards’, which I think sums it up pretty well. Princess Anne doing the prizes was last minute and her request. Hoping that’s a good sign for the future!

neilm
    Free Member

Just an additional reflection or two; it was great to have a choice of food as opposed to just the usual burgers / sausages / egg etc.

In my case (and my son’s) I had an Indian, and it was very good.

Shame all the traders shut up shop at the end of the usual working day. This may have been a stipulation by the estate, but it would have given me something else to do in the evening when as team captain I finally had some time to myself.

Some brighter lighting in the changeover area would have helped identify incoming team mates. A lot of people were shouting names, but my team mate was the strong silent type, and it took us a while to find each other. I’m sure slightly brighter lighting would not rob riders of their night vision any worse than having incoming cyclists headlamps flashed in your face or cause more disturbance than a whole bunch of people shouting all night.

gpsBRM
    Free Member

Did anyone get some “helmet cam” of the good bits?

Got 2 laps with my mates HD Pro on my chest. Got me cocking the Redbull run up:

Sort the rest out soon and get it in HD. Doesn’t seem to want to upload in HD for some reason.

gpsBRM
    Free Member
    BadlyWiredDog

Some brighter lighting in the changeover area would have helped identify incoming team mates.

Incoming riders having the common sense to switch off their helmet lights would have made a lot more difference. Guess what guys, if you have a 500-lumen spot on your head and a bar light too it’s kind of hard to see who you are regardless.

brodiephoto
    Free Member

400 photos up online at http://www.flickr.com/photos/97688063@N08/

Steve

mboy
    Free Member

Been so busy this week only just got round to replying on here. Anyway… Some notes, comments and observations as a seasoned (done most since 2004) Mayhem rider (though not a competitive one).

Firstly, after the panic instilled by Wiggle’s email days before the event, I was glad to find the camping area was very suitable for the event. Much more cosy than at Eastnor yes, but big enough and crucially flatter, and way better suited for the purpose. Though it would have been even better if the course ran through it!

Toilets and showers were on the whole very good, though some rubber/plastic drainage mats in the showers would have been nice so you don’t have to stand on your shoes the whole time you’re getting dressed/undressed.

Catering was good, service in the main catering tent actually faster and more efficient than I’d noticed in previous years. The small stalls of local produce was a nice touch, and the Chicken tikka kebab style thing I had just after my last lap was ace!

Shame I can’t say the same for the woeful level of trade presence. I’ll come to Wiggle in a moment, but not being able to buy what many would consider normal consumables at an event such as this is mind blowing! I know of at least 3 people who were looking for 10spd cassettes without any joy. Save for the usually joyful Exposure crew, and Extra selling Connex chains off for silly money, there was just about nothing there! Which brings me to my next point…

Wiggle… Why do they do it? They cover everything in their orange branding, but song actually do anything or promote anything (other than their logo) or try and sell anything! If I was managing that company, I’d be furious at opportunities lost for extra revenue at Mayhem. As a punter, I’m just furious that IMO Wiggle, more than the weather or anything else, have been the catalyst for the demise of Mountain Mayhem. With Saab Salomon as sponsors everything was far more open to trade, and people came along to the event to support and grab a few bargains. The trade arena used to be busy from Friday afternoon til well into Sunday afternoon, and because there were more people there, there was more atmosphere. Original Source stepped it up a notch again, cos everyone loves free Shower Gel (and the men loved the promo girls handing it out to them!). If you’ve paid £50 each essentially to go and experience a “mountain bike festival” (as Mayhem of old used to be), then for gods sake the main sponsor should be trying to make it bloody well feel like one! I think Wiggle do themselves more harm than good in sponsoring it but being so under active over the weekend. If they turned up with an enormous tent full of bargains, some promo girls running a few competitions or the like, it would easily pay for itself and more… Forget the course, Mayhem is about the festival style atmosphere, and sadly that’s gone mainly since Wiggle took over.

And as for the course… Could have been worse, could have been better. I was pleased it was usefully shorter than a lap at Eastnor (as was just about everyone else I spoke to) at around 7 miles, but felt at least 2 of the very steep climbs were a bit pointless. I didn’t get to ride it in the dry, but I’m confident I could get up them all when fresh, before it had been ridden by hundreds of others, I’d just drop to my easiest gear and winch up. As it was, my first lap started at 2pm and it was a bog by that point! I made it up the first 2 short steep climbs on my first 4 (of 5, was too tired by then) laps, but 2 of the later climbs were pretty much already unrideable only 2 hours into the race! I did really enjoy the first descent though, and the trail down by the lake was nice. Maybe a bit too much double track, but then again there was a lot less aggro overtaking manoeuvres this year than is usual at Eastnor I felt. I enjoyed the lap on the whole, just would have liked that there was a bit more variation to the climbing (some short sharp, some long and draggy), and some more interesting single track to it. 7/10 though I’d say so not bad for a first attempt on a new venue.

I am very much waiting for SITS to make a return next year though now, as that has become a more enjoyable event on the whole IMO. Though if Wiggle step aside for next year, and let another sponsor that knows how to run an event properly get involved, then Mayhem may well return to its former glory.

DezB
    Free Member

I recognise this entrant to the “Grim” gallery.. is it someone off here?!
    http://singletrackworld.com/rider-gallery/mountain-mayhem-2013/?image=478

BadlyWiredDog

Could you maybe add some paragraphs to that – huge blocks of text are really hard to read and I’d like to be able to read your thoughts on the event.

IanMunro
    Free Member

At last years TR24, Pat said it was much more pleasant organising the running events, as runners just turn up, go out and run rather than whine about everything.
    After 6 pages I can kinda see his point 😀

DaveRambo

My write up

http://ramblings.me.uk/

I enjoyed it 🙂

onewheelgood

Pete was the last back from the run and he set off for our first lap

I was not! There were at least 10 people behind me.

DaveRambo

lol – it felt like you were the last one – my apologies 🙂

rbrstr
    Free Member

I managed to cross the line 15 secs after midday in milf drizzle

*giggles

DezB
    Free Member

DezB – Member

No-one?

DaveRambo

Someone actually read it
    I guess I need to edit that bit… or not

Jason
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    No-one?

I recognise him. I am not sure he wants naming and shaming as he hasn’t taking being put in that gallery too well. You may have spotted him on the podium at BBB before. He posted on the 1st page of this thread.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Jason. yeah, must’ve been at the BBB 🙂
    Hasn’t taken it too well? After wearing pink?! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 200 total)

The topic ‘New Mayhem venue/course, a mini review’ is closed to new replies.