Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New Maxxis Rear Tyre Advice!
  • kraken2345
    Free Member

My rear maxxis high roller is dead and I’m looking at a new one but am struggling to make my mind up. I have a minion dhf 2.5 upfront in dual ply 42a which is sticky as hell but heavy and doesn’t roll easily. I’m looking at the new minion dhr2 in a harder compound but the ardent got flagged up as an option due to the lower rolling resistance. Most of my riding is in and around Sheffield and I need it to be good all round as I run them till they need replacing. Cheers for any advice.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

found DHR/DHF to be a little draggy in the wet. HR2 front and rear here. Clears well. Ardent for the summer but not an all conditions tyre

Northwind

DHR2 in 60a is a reasonable rolling tyre. But the exo isn’t tough… You mentioned a dualply front, do you find that’s what you need or are you up for something less solid?

Ardent isn’t that good imo, I got rid of mine and replaced with a Minion SS which is grippier most of the time, and faster. But neither’d be my choice for our local offpiste stuff through winter, I’ll be on the dhr2.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fudge9202
    Free Member

Have just bought an aggressor and a tomahawk (for dry spring and summer). Plan to try the aggressor on the rear with a minion up front, the aggressor gets great reviews as a rear so I’m going to give a go over the winter at my local trail centre

kraken2345
    Free Member

Yeah my first choice would’ve been the aggressor but I run 26″ wheels and they all sold out in that size really quick. Emailed maxxis and they’re only getting new stock in in the new year!

kraken2345
    Free Member

And @Northwind, I like how tough the tyre is and my rims are wide which gives it a great shape but the weight is a killer when my wheels are already heavy. Doing longer rides makes me realise how sluggish my bike is atm with heavy wheels and tyres. I think I could use something a little thinner on the front and not notice too much however, I’m quite heavy and ride rough stuff but it’s not dh tracks or anything like that

kraken2345
    Free Member

Rolling resistance is also something I’m starting to notice, on roads with my mates I have to pedal when they coast on flat or i’ll be dropped…

wrecker
    Free Member

Why only Maxis? Better or at least as good other manufacturers out there IMHO.

tomaso
    Free Member

I quite like the HR dual ply out back in 2.4 inch dual compound. It ain’t light, but it’s never punctured and allows me to ride with impunity. Perhaps it won’t roll fast at a trail centre but point it up a mountain with a technical climb and it will pedal up better than you think.

Ripped knobs and sidewalls on EXO and Grid type tyres became all to regular and tyres aren’t cheap.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I guess it’s just a brand I’m familiar with, never used anything else. Unintentionally at first, can you recommend something I suppose similar to the maxxis aggressor as that would be what I’d get if it were available?

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’d rather the compound of the rubber be a little firmer like 60a, maxxis 3C wears out too quickly for me and being a student I can;t justify the cost.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have s look at Hutchinson tyres, the Toro is a great all rounder with good rolling resistance.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m on the other side of the Peak from you and use a 2.5 DHF up front and a 2.35 Rock Razor at the back – I used to use Ardents, but the Rock Razor is faster and works better all round ime.

Also, because the Dark Peak doesn’t get proper mud, more gritty slurry, stuff like Ardents and Rock Razors are mostly fine all year round albeit with a bit of rear-end slitheriness from time to time. The Ardent’s pretty good year round fwiw and a sort of happy medium balance of rolling resistance, grip and erm, stuff.

Or try a DHF on the back as well. Slower than an Ardent, but grippier.

chiefgrooveguru

I really rate the DHR2 2.3 Exo dual compound. Seems to be tougher in practice than it feels, rolls surprisingly quickly (I wouldn’t say it’s massively slower than a Minion SS and is quite a bit quicker than the 3C version), wears slow so keeps the square edges on the tread for much longer than the 3C. Plenty sticky enough as a rear tyre.

RicB

I loved my DHR2 3C 2.3 Exo on the back. Did wear faster than expected but loads of grip. Now sadly knobbled after a sideways landing

Running a Spesh Butcher on the back at the moment but the 2Bliss carcass isn’t particularly strong so I’m debating whether to swap it for a grid, or try a HR2 to see what they’re like. The tread pattern looks very similar to a Butcher but the centres knobbles seem less rounded, so might not roll as well

astormatt
    Free Member

Dhr2 is a great tyre in my experience, good grip and good under braking.
    I am running the non 3C version. Currently running a HR2 3C front Dhr2 rear. I quite like the SS although i haven’t ridden it in wet winter months.
    It must be ocd as i can’t run 2 different tyre brands on my bike’s….just wrong.

wrecker
    Free Member

can you recommend something I suppose similar to the maxxis aggressor as that would be what I’d get if it were available?

Conti black chilli tyres (trail king, Der Baron)
    WTB tough high grip (I like the vigilantes)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New Maxxis Rear Tyre Advice!’ is closed to new replies.