• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New Maxle for Revelations
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Is there anything better out there than the stock maxle lite they come with? I bought mine a couple of years ago and the forks are awesome, but the Maxle is a pain in the effing backside: It’s either too loose or impossible to undo.

fooman

I had problems with my Rockshox maxle till I was told about the clamp adjuster under the lever, uses an allen key to tighten, now my maxel only needs to be in finger tight and doesn’t come loose lever up. I thought I’d mention it as I didn’t know about the adjuster for a long while, might help someone.

kayak23

I sent mine back. Made of cheese. Got New one, also made of cheese.

Northwind

Which version of the maxle is it? They all seem to have a slightly different knack, but I’ve never found one that didn’t work fine once you figured out how to tighten it properly (and no offence but people do seem to struggle)

OTOH the current ones are too fragile, there’s really not much metal around the cam. So I replaced mine with a Stealth axle, would do again.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Another +1 for the maxle stealth. I know it means you need an allen key to undo it but we should all have a multi-tool anyway and it just works.

mikey74
    Free Member

I know how to adjust the tension on the maxle (I figured that out pretty early on) but it doesn’t stop it being a hateful object that is made of cheese.

oldfart

Mike and another thing they produce a shonky product then try and relieve you of £30 for a different one probably no better than the original .

mikey74
    Free Member

Very true.

Northwind: It sounds like the same one you are referring to as there is not enough metal around the cam, the corners of which have now bent.

nickdavies

They’re fine once you get used to them, the corners are an issue but as long as your careful and push the handle into the cam you won’t round them. I found out after taking the corner off, rockshox warrantied mine. The new maxle ultimate is a direct replacement if you want to keep quick release and is better, or just have a maxle stealth and bolt it up. Others are available from places like xc racer… they can be spendy though…!

mikey74
    Free Member

Ahh that Maxle Ultimate seems to be the thing, thanks.

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

Northwind: It sounds like the same one you are referring to as there is not enough metal around the cam, the corners of which have now bent.

Actually it sounds like you have the previous version, looks like this?

https://static.evanscycles.com/production/components/forks/product-image/969-638/rockshox-maxle-lite-replacement-thru-axle-na-EV136166-9999-1.jpg

If it is, you can grind/file those shoulders square again and it’ll be fine (not to be a prick, but it’s half bad design and half user error, I’ve never seen one get damaged when used properly but it’s very easy to damage it if you don’t engage the lever properly- and yep I have damaged one myself exactly that way…)

I think the new one’s worse tbh, it can break even if you do everything right.

mikey74
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t have a cylindrical axle, it has a number of cut-outs which means it doesn’t slide through easily.

It’s this one:

Northwind

Oh OK, later iteration but same basic principle- so if you want you can square it off again and it’ll be good as new. Or ungood as new.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I might do that, thanks. It’ll still be a pile o’ crap, though :mrgreen:

Oh, and a firmly acknowledge my role in any damage that may have been caused but I still assert it’s a crap design.

Northwind

Seriously, get the stealth, it’s ace. And when will you ever want to remove a wheel when you don’t have an allen key handy?

5lab

They are crap. It’s worth noting however that the corners round more when the cam is looser. You can tighten the cam without an Allen key by opening the qr lever till it is perpendicular to the fork leg, pull it out a little and twiddle it – twiddle it in to make the cam closer (too close to close the qr) and you can open the screw without any risk of bending

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New Maxle for Revelations’ is closed to new replies.