Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New mattress recommendations
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

My back is killing me, I need a new mattress. Mine is around 8 years old.

I’ve currently got a miracoil 5 (I think)

I’ve seen the casper and eve mattresses but not sure about them.

Brother in law has just bought an ikea one and says it’s brilliant.

I’d like a firm mattress but Mrs D wants a soft one. She has a topper on her side.

Budget upto £700. I’m based in West Yorkshire.

I’ve read a few old stw threads on mattresses but didn’t want to revive them as they were a bit old.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks

5plusn8
    Free Member

I was a big advocate of 500quid plus pocket sprung mattresses, we have two. Anyway after the youngest peed on one of them a million times we decided to replace it. Got an ikea morgedal memory foam and it is lovely. Ikea do a 30 day send it back guarantee thing if you don’t sleep well. I would slaughter anyone who tried to take it away from me now.

Aidy
    Free Member

You can get mattresses that have different spring tensions either side.

lunge

I’ve just bought one, this weekend in fact. Spent the day wandering around Ikea, Dreams, that kind of place and lying on lots of beds. I’d suggest you do the same, you’ll find one you like.

damascus
    Free Member

I need a 90 day return policy as 5 minutes in a show room doesn’t really help.

I’m kind of leaning towards ikea

lunge

Dreams have a 40 nights return policy of that helps?

footflaps

I need a 90 day return policy as 5 minutes in a show room doesn’t really help.

Simba etc have 90 day returns…

FuzzyWuzzy

Does anyone know what happens to all the returned mattresses, are they just deep cleaned and sent out as new or used as demo etc? Surely they don’t end up in landfill?

lunge

Does anyone know what happens to all the returned mattresses, are they just deep cleaned and sent out as new or used as demo etc?

Based on the conversation I had with the fella at Dreams, they’re deep cleaned and sold as clearance stock, 50% or so off the retail price. If they had one I wanted, I’d have definitely considered buying one.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Ikea +1

dannybgoode

Just been to Dreams and ended up with one of the Flaxby mattresses – me and Mrs Danny have a different firmness which is nice.

Lovely thing…

Caher

Ikea + 2

Mintman
    Free Member

I bought a John Ryan mattress based on recommendations from here:

John Ryan

Mine is from the cheaper end of his sprange but still firm and mega comfortable – I think the more expensive ones can have each side modified so everyone has a mattress of their preferred firmness.

footflaps

Does anyone know what happens to all the returned mattresses, are they just deep cleaned and sent out as new or used as demo etc?

Simba return rate is a few % and I was told they get donated to charities.

prawny

We’ve just had a Hypnos one delivered I hope it’s been manufactured wrong as it’s crippling me and the Mrs. It’s meant to be the softer side of medium, but it’s like a rock with a bit of nice padding on.

Really well made though, I hope it’s a mistake.

jeffl

Another vote for IKEA. We went for the Hesseng in a firm and I love it. No more lower back problems at all. We are limited to IKEA as we have an older European size IKEA bed but would recommend them.for anyone as they do them in UK sizes now as well.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hesseng-pocket-sprung-mattress-firm-natural-colour-art-50258733/

hodgynd
    Free Member

Tempur..if you like something that moulds to your shape ..maybe too comfortable as in the first few hours nothing could disturb me ..however once my body clock wakes me up at around 3.00am for my first loo visit ..it’s a right bugger getting back to sleep again ..

bails

IKEA here too, no complaints.

slowuphill
    Free Member

Tried the Eve mattress and found it too hot.sent it back. Went to my local bed shop in Surbiton, The Bed Post, Great service there and ended up buying a Harrison mattress with natural fibres. So much cooler and very comfy.

AlexSimon

I’ve always liked the idea of the Ikea natural one with natural latex, horse hair, cotton, wool, etc.
    I think it’s about £700 in super-king.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

used to have a memory foam but now use a (softer) IKEA one. All good.

prawny

prawny – Member
    We’ve just had a Hypnos one delivered I hope it’s been manufactured wrong as it’s crippling me and the Mrs. It’s meant to be the softer side of medium, but it’s like a rock with a bit of nice padding on.

Really well made though, I hope it’s a mistake.

Hypnos refused to admit it wasn’t the same as the one in the shop which was massively softer, so the shop let us pick another one. We’ve gone for a Silent Night pocket sprung geltex job. It’s lovely.

spot
    Free Member

we have single ikea pocket spring.
    firm on my side, soft for the missus
    and a double memory foam topper.

we had an expensive mattres before the ikea one
    (were you had to go into the shop and lie on a bed with sensors, and the bed/matress gets custom adapted to your weight blablabla)

ikea one is FAR better
    and about 1/3 price

scuttler

More try before you buy – this time without hauling a mattress into your bedroom.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

footflaps

Hypnos refused to admit it wasn’t the same as the one in the shop which was massively softer, so the shop let us pick another one.

John Lewis till tell us this is a common problem with memory foam which gets softer in warmer rooms. Their stores are much warmer than the average bedroom, so people don’t get a realistic feel for the mattresses in the store.

BillMC

A £700 John Lewis own brand one would be very good. I got one after sweating to death on a Mammoth Sports one and it’s been excellent.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Which seem to rate these two, all their other best buys are fair bit more expensive.

Ikea Hövåg Pocket Sprung review£180 70% BEST BUY
    LAUNCHED – REVIEWED DEC 2016
    PROS:Supportive, very durable, breathable, stable, easy to turn over on, easy to manoeuvre.
    CONS:None

Ikea Morgedal Foam (802.837.88) review£165 72% BEST BUY
    LAUNCHED AUG 2014 REVIEWED JUN 2016
    PROS: Good all-round body support, really durable, won’t sag, very stable, cheap
    PROS:Not the most breathable

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I recently went for a Leesa one. Thought I would get it on the 100 day trial, but it’s very comfy for me.

I figured the Leesa/Simba/Eve/etc – are all much of a muchness.

I did consider the Premier Inn mattress as i’ve found them comfy too. My issue is a spiral staircase in an old cottage so getting anything in is a b*astard. It was easy with the Leesa.

Cougar

Go round a load of stores and lie on them all. Buy the one you like most.

Life’s to be short to buying something random that you’ll be using for a third of your life for the next ten years.

prawny

John Lewis till tell us this is a common problem with memory foam which gets softer in warmer rooms. Their stores are much warmer than the average bedroom, so people don’t get a realistic feel for the mattresses in the store.

Ours was a traditional mattress, no memory foam in it, just far too firm The guy in the shop thinks someone may have picked up the wrong spring pack by mistake when they made it.

Interesting point though, my room is deliberately colder than the dark side of the moon

bigjim

Ikea Hövåg Pocket Sprung review£180 70% BEST BUY
    LAUNCHED – REVIEWED DEC 2016
    PROS:Supportive, very durable, breathable, stable, easy to turn over on, easy to manoeuvre.
    CONS:None

I have one of these and it might have to go back, it starts off comfy but within a couple of hours you’ve sunk into a hole in the middle of the bed, when you move back to the side you’re lying on a slope. I had terrible backache for weeks but seem to be used to the spinal twisting now.

LMT
    Free Member

Ive got an ikea foam one, wasn’t as comfortable as in the store, went back and got a topper it’s only about 1.5” thick but it’s a massive difference, best bed I’ve ever had!

irc

We got a John Lewis own brand pocket sprung mattress. Tried out a few in the shop. Then bought the actual mattress we liked with a discount for it being ex-display. Ended up somewhere around £500-550.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I was glad Simba had the return warranty, I had to use it as it was to soft & very warm. I bought one from costco in the end, the Pocket Spring Bed Company Pemberley Mattress, it’s very firm for a medium but I like that, it just proves that we are all different & trail periods were the best thing that has happened to the industry. Well that and proper bedding that can breath, I love my baavet duvet 😀

footflaps

Yep, the Simba is warm.

Fat-boy-fat

Blow the budget … Tempur Cloud mattress. No bed will ever match up again. Totally ruined fancy hotels for me.

hot_fiat

Had a mahoosive Ikea mattress which we suspect landed my ex in hospital with a trapped nerve thanks to its rediculous construction (they’re two mattresses held together by a cover, the middle sags and the edges of each unit are way harder than the centres). It went back.

I now have three Warren Evans pocket sprung mattresses and am about to purchase a 4th. They’re beautifully made and incredibly comfortable.

Rich_s

Is it just me who can’t understand why foam mattresses are so expensive? They’re foam. Just extruded gloop, Shirley?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Warren James looks interesting. I’ve bought singles for the teenage boys from Worldstores at great prices delivered fwiw. The last 2 mattresses I’ve bought for us were based on a decent brand, guarantee and pocket sprung. I didn’t find traipsing round bed centres useful at all as it takes a while to settle to a new mattress.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Emma for me.

Comfiest I’ve ever owned. Similar to Simba, Eve, Leesa and so on but I find it nice and cool.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New mattress recommendations’ is closed to new replies.