Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New mac user, help!
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Hello,

New mac user, got myself a macbook pro.

Im getting to grips with it but installing programs is something i just don’t seem to get.

I’ve downloaded firefox, which opens up the DMG.

Once i open that i know you can run the program from the DMG but if i drag the file to applications it should install it should it not ?

I’ve done that, but its still running firefox from the DMG. If i delete the DMG then firefox stops opening.

What am i doing wrong ? Just want to install it properly on the HDD.

Jamie
    Free Member

1a. Quit any instances of Firefox that are running. Do this by right click any Firefox icon in the dock and select quit, or selecting quit from the menu bar: Firefox > Quit Firefox.

1. Mount/Open the .dmg

2. Drag the Firefox icon into the Applications folder. The .dmg should have an alias of the Application folder to drag to.

3. Unmount the .dmg…

…and trash it. Either by ‘right clicking’ and selecting move to trash, or just dragging to the trash bin on the dock.

4.Run Firefox from the Applications folder.

5. When running right click the Firefox icon and select ‘keep in dock’ if you want it to stay there.

wrecker
    Free Member

Are discount macbooks rocking horse shit?
    Keep checking the refurbished store but they have only had one 15″ on there for quite some time and it doesn’t look like much of a bargain.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I ran Firefox for a year or so after getting my Mac then made switch to Safari. What you are doing makes sense, transition with programmes you know but to really enjoy all the iCloud / Mavericks notification centre integration you should give Safari a go at some stage, its very good

Three_Fish
    Free Member

EDIT Pardon the repeat of Jamie’s description, we typed at the same time.

When you’ve dragged the icon into applications, then go into the applications folder and click the icon again. This will open up the app. You’ll be asked something about opening an app downloaded from the internet: just click yes.

Now that you’ve opened through Applications, go to your desktop and right click the application (Firefox) icon: click Eject.

Go to your downloads folder and trash the DMG – it’s only taking up space now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrecker – refurb and even ebay used prices are remarkably high. Cheap MacBooks are rarer than “r-h-s”. My daughter gets student discount (15% I recall) so a new machine with her discount makes the refurb’s look dry pricey. Do you know any students ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP as you are setting things up I’d suggest Time Machine also as it’s so easy, I assume you have some kind of backup drive, e.g. external HD 1TB is £50 or set something up with a cloud/drop box service. Also get your Apple ID setup so you can connect into the app store. As it’s new I’d run Software Update too. Did it come with Mavericks 10.9 – if not would suggest you upgrade (takes a few hours, leave machine connected to power source)

wrecker
    Free Member

I know someone who works for a student union…….
    But I need to pay with my CC. Could be a problem.

Jamie
    Free Member

I know someone who works for a student union…….

Student discount also gets you 3 years of Applecare thrown in, plus last time I looked into it a £70 iTunes/Appstore voucher as well.

Offroading
    Free Member

Got it.

Thanks folks.

I was doing it all apart from unmounting the DMG.

Loving the mac so far, takes a bit of getting used to after 20 years of windows.

Jamie
    Free Member

Loving the mac so far, takes a bit of getting used to after 20 years of windows.

Much of a muchness really 8)

xiphon
    Free Member

I jumped ship to Mac at home via the Hackintosh route (Windows -> Mac OSX on the same hardware).

It feels strange to use Windows at work….. despite being a Wintel Admin…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New mac user, help!’ is closed to new replies.