Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 200 total)
  • new low in the LBS today
  • dannyh
    Free Member

As someone who has always been the customer I can say that people who do this kind of wheedling out of information only to go and order as cheap as possible are taking the piss.

I worked out a while ago that some LBSs are great, some are good and some are crap. But so are butchers, pubs, and garages. What you do is shop around over a period of time so you settle on a good one. So you don’t have to buy your meat from tesco, or drink in Punch Taverns or use Halfords.

My LBS is pretty good, but they had a bit of a habit of over-promising turn around times and their wheel builder was poor. So I now do most things myself, but use them for stuff I can’t do. For example, I needed a headset pressing into a new frame. Now this is not some thing I would need to do regularly and the price of failure is a buggered frame, so I wouldn’t buy a decent tool for this, so off to the LBS. I reckon they charged me the going rate, so I was happy. They probably would have charged less if I was a regular, but that is their prerogative.

But I would never use them to get a spec lost or prices or such then use their knowledge to undercut them. When did people become like this? How can these people look someone in the eye while they are doing it?

wiggles
    Free Member

Amazing the amount of phone calls you get asking for advice on fitting or set up tips for the components people just got in the post from an online competitor. I accept our customers buy some things elsewhere when the prices are just so much lower than what we can offer on OEM stuff etc. But some people have never set foot or spent a penny in our store yet seem to think it is perfectly fine to just use our phone as a technical support line…

I am always nice and help where I can as everyone is a potential customer but I am really shocked with the way some phone calls go.

cookeaa

OP you must have the patience of a saint.

I’ll happily admit to buying 99.9% of my bike stuff from t’interwebs, but I’d never dream of taking the piss in such a fashion, if I go in a bricks and mortar shop its because I have a genuine need to buy something then and there.

To go to the extent of getting a build list and typing stuff into ebay in front of you is beyond rude and you should have told him so…

perhaps its worth getting some cards made up with the top 10 bike parts websites on one side, and on the other…

“THANK YOU FOR VISITING GOOGLE’S SHOWROOM… PLEASE DON’T COME AGAIN!”

rone

This stinks, what’s wrong with people. Race to the bottom. People purchasing solely on price. It’s rife in this world, expecting discounts as a given or matching the net. Yet it wouldn’t happen in a supermarket or many other walks of life.

I never ask for a discount in my LBS, and I don’t agree to work with clients in my business who ask for discounts either. Consumers are such cheapskates, price of everything and value of nothing.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s all rather familiar to most lbs staff. Just one of those things
    But you still have to try and be polite etc just relying that you get enough to keep the door open

My current pet hate is questions about road bike sizing
    They even ask about size before anything else like budget or which bike

manvstarmac

I sell tailor made safaris for a living, and while it’s not directly comparable, people do use our expertise and then ask others for a quote on the trip we’ve planned. As we don’t own any of the properties or have exclusive deals, they’ll essentially get the same holiday from whomever they buy.

Fair prices, high customer service, and spelling it out are our weapons of choice against people ‘shopping’ us. We have a ‘Guarantee’ that is highlighted on our website and goes out with every quote. Hopefully this means people understand we offer financial protection, a local contact you can ask questions, 24/7 backup when you’re travelling etc. Some of these you’ll get from our competitors in the UK but not if you try and put the trip together yourself or use a tour operator based in Africa.

Perhaps bike shops could have a leaflet entitled ‘Five Reasons to Buy Your Components From Us’ which they hand to all browsers and information gatherers. If the reasons are convincing enough and the price differential is small enough they might win over a few waverers.

dannyh
    Free Member

Page two of this thread is what the OP needs to read if he gets another eBay shopper in. The majority of customers are not like this. Most of us expect a fair price and a reliable time estimate for jobs that we can’t or won’t do ourselves. Most of us will put up with a little bit of a problem if parts have to be ordered etc, but won’t put up with being messed around all the time. Many of us will purchase high ticket items from you if there has been a building up of trust.

If you are a good shop, you will do fine. If not, you won’t. If I ran a good bike shop I would view that as positive.

edward2000
    Free Member

OP which bike shop do you work in?

DT78
    Free Member

Just in response to one of the comments, price matching does happen in supermarkets. They actually do it themselves and if they are more expensive they give you a little voucher towards the difference. Least the do in my local sainsburys.

cliffyc
    Free Member

😡 ❗ :!:We sell outdoor clothing/footwear in our store and get “showroomed” constantly. We learnt a long time ago not to price match as you would get the response “,they didn’t have it in my size”!. We reply, “well we do it, is the price on the label”,only lose about a quarter of sales,but we explain we carry good stocks to maintain reasonable margins. OP’s guy could at least have bought tyres or tubes for all the assistance he got,not even a packet of biccies!.

steveoath
    Free Member

Diffrence is DT78 they are national companies negotiating big discounts on product whereas LBS tend to be, well, local.

DT78
    Free Member

Yea not saying LBS should do that, or could afford to, was just in response to supermarkets not doing it point.

I think the general gist is the LBS needs to maximise on the value add they can provide rather than the product itself which can be found cheaper elsewhere most of the time. If the difference is small most will go with the LBS (well I would) if the difference is 15% or so more I’ll order online. I have to earn that money too!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have no great issue with people buying stuff online
    Just don’t like those that take the Micky and want our service / time with no intention of useing us at all

franksinatra

OP which bike shop do you work in? I need to come up with a list of parts for a new frame you you sound a helpful chap who could help me with my CRC order…

FIFY

Mbnut
    Free Member

70% of my stuff I buy online, the rest from the couple of good bikes shops locally (within 20 miles).

A new shop opened recently, a major chain, so I popped in.

I was embarrassed by the poor stock, high prices and quite frankly ridiculous staff… helpful in nature but clearly not cyclists or even interested parties.

A guy came in and asked for inner tubes, they didn’t have any… so he asked for self adhesive patches, the woman didn’t understand what he meant… he tried to explain, she began to get cross and said he should bring his bike in so she could sort out what he meant.

What troubled me was that it was busier than any of the other bikes shops ever are and there was a rake of people being feed bs by staff with no idea….

Good luck lbs’s… you certainly have your work cut out but helpful, knowledgeable staff are definitely your strong suit.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Flipside:

I once worked with an extremely dumb colleague who would use his own phone and price matching app to help customers get the best price rape our profits.. This was under the reign of a fairly new manager who’d managed to put our sales up by 50%, and profits down by 50%.
    Thank god I was only on a temporary contract. That place was batshit crazy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LBS needs to maximise on the value add they can provide

It is apparently free advice and trying on clothes

TBH I feel for the LBS and I am blessed [ ish]that Merlin is mine so I dont really have this issue.

Some folk really do take the piss IME

there is no way they can compete with a low cost high volume internet seller.

hora
    Free Member

For a bit of balance…

For years we’ve had ‘we’ll order it in for you’ aka minimnal need for stock spend/sell at RRP.

Now more riders can afford better kit.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My LBS charges list, takes ages to get stuff in when ordered and screwed up a bearing service on Shimano wheels. And then tried to charge for the work to fix the damage they’d done.
    These days I’d rather buy the tools and learn to do stuff my self.

Travis

I miss ‘my’ LBS. Now living in China, I’ve basically given up cycling, because I can’t get the service that I was used to in the UK.
    I’d gladly pay a little bit more, for the knowledge that ‘my little baby’ was being treated well, and that I am supporting the local market.

Junkyard
    Free Member

all those bikes in china and no LBS???

damascus
    Free Member

How long do you give it before he turns up with a tapered fork for his non tapered headtube or a standard bb for a non standard bb frame? And then asks for your help? Happens all the time.

robdob
    Free Member

A running shop near to me got repeat business from me – I was a complete noob but they took the time to explain things to me about shoes etc. They said they charge £10 for shoe fitting because they get a lot of people who do it then buy off the ‘net.
    I have since been in a few times and they have been very helpful whether I’ve bought anything or not, so when I needed some more shoes they were my first call – they price matched their own website (could have been cheaper on other websites but I didn’t want them to match those, only their own!) and provided great advice again.
    Great example of how it should be done.

Travis

Junkyard… they can make it
    I have two tiny Giant bike shops in my city of 3million. (Qingdao)

I took my city bike in for new break pads and a chain. 1 hour later I came out, and riding down the road my rear wheel rubs… buggers didn’t tighten up the rear axle.

No way, am I letting them my proper bikes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Amusing that they can make them but not service them

Bet you could get anew bike out the back door for the price of a service here 😆

atlaz
    Free Member

So you don’t have to buy your meat from tesco, or drink in Punch Taverns or use Halfords.

My LBS is the local equivalent of Halfords. It’s better than 90% of “proper” bike shops I’ve used.

Philby

I think many LBS’s are between a rock and a hard place. As an example I am currently looking at buying a new road bike and have test ridden 3 bikes at two bike shops – I really like one particular model but would ideally like it with Campag Athena rather than Shimano Ultegra, in the colour scheme that the Ultegra model comes in, and with a decent pair of wheels. The base bike is already £300 more expensive than an equivalent full Ultegra bike with decent Ksyrium wheels by the likes of Canyon or Rose, but with Athena and equivalent Ksyrium wheels it is going to be more like £600 more expensive. What makes it even more frustrating is that it will take around 8-10 weeks for the bike shop to get the bike I would like from the manufacturer in Italy, which is much longer than lead times for a Rose and even longer than Canyon.

The current business model used by LBS’s i.e. manufacturer, UK distributor, bike shop clearly needs amending to reflect changes in society and technology. Can UK distributors play a bigger role than just acting as a warehouse – e.g. being able to make up the bike I want in one or two weeks rather than the current proposed 8-10 weeks? It’s interesting to note that Focus are now selling directly through LBS’s without the middleman, and offer some pretty competitive prices. Much as I am not a fan of the branding / design of Focus bikes they may be the compromise I will be making rather than going for my Italian dream bike.

Travis

What service they do do, is cheap.
    When I lived in Beijing, I could service my MTB, for less than 4 quid 😯
    Oil change on the shocks would make it 6 quid.
    But to buy my Santa Cruz, it was cheaper for me to fly back to the UK and buy it, then it was to buy one in China.
    If I bought a Trek, Spec or Giant (top end) it still would have been cheaper for me to come back to the UK to buy one (incl flight)

wolfenstein
    Free Member

That is low 😕

My lbs is very generous to me doing stuff for free to my bike from time to time, and me ending up buying I already have or don’t need for the time being to even out favors 😀

Travis

Philby…. an interesting point.
    The world I deal in, the middle man is now being cut out, with often the retailer dealing direct with the manufacturer.
    As you rightly pointed out, the middle man is taking a (large) cut, and is also slowing thing down, due to them handling logistics.
    If the middle man wants to stay in the game, they need to put money into it, otherwise manufactures will go direct.
    And that leads to the other problem, certain manufacturers (niche ones)can’t make the volume to sell direct, so have to use a middleman to stock them.

hora
    Free Member

Any serious hobbist mountain biker shouls be able to service their own bike. The last item on my to do list was brakes. Only me **** ups do I need a bike shop for anything.

The term lbs is redundant due to the internet.

My lbs is merlincycles 30 miles away…online.

Trimix
    Free Member

We are all typing our thoughts on the internet. The same internet thats changed how we do most things.

As a business you need to adapt to this change or die.

Do the things the internet cant do – service and advice and selling bikes (with proper demos).

Dont compete with the internet, it will be a race to the lowest price. Stick a PC in the shop where they can order stuff from CRC on your account, pay you for it and you fit it next day when it turns up.

All the while you are selling them coffee and cake and letting them see the latest shiny bikes and bits that they cant buy on the interent.

Sell them skills courses, guiding days, uplifts, mapreading skills, how to use a GoPro etc. Use your imagination.

Change or die. Its just how good businesses survive.

ratherbeintobago

Any serious hobbist mountain biker shouls be able to service their own bike. The last item on my to do list was brakes. Only me **** ups do I need a bike shop for anything.

Yes, but a lot of us don’t have that much free time. TBH I’d rather pay the LBS to do the servicing so I can use what free time I’ve got for actually riding the bloody thing, even though I can do most servicing jobs (stop short of messing with brakes though, as I am a coward)

oldgit
    Free Member

Philby have you test ridden the Canyon or Rose, you may have but I’d not have a clue where to go to road test either of those.
    Bikes you can touch feel test and spec do seem to be dearer than mail order bikes. And put into perspective it’s not too big a price to pay, and sometimes it can be eased a little with a small discount.
    I mean that you can wheel a shop bought bike back for work if needed, and probably enjoy a relationship with the shop over the bikes life.
    But as you say things have changed, but for the good? if that means buying bikes unseen off the net, but expecting the shop to be there waiting for when it goes wrong, then not a change for the best IMO.
    Personally I think the bike, the owner and the shop relationship is all part of the ‘it’s all riding’ deal.
    Can’t you LBS guys charge more for servicing internet brands?

Oh and wait for the bike you want, that’s what I’m having to do 😥

Travis

I’d love to change my own breaks, but I don’t have the space. I have no man cave (soooooo longing for)

But dealing in what I deal with (I see, what almost all you guys wear, ride, drive, live in etc) is built/made etc.

I support the local guy, even if it costs a little bit more.

Take your bike to serviced, cleaned etc by an LBS once in a while, the support you get back (hopefully) will x times better.

It’s like supporting your local farmers I hope, that where is was for me back home.

Yes Mol, I agree, simple maintenance should be done at home, but I’m past that..not that I want to, I can’t.. it’s crap here… I don’t ride, I have no room to do what I want to.. so when I can, I do. I support.

hora
    Free Member

Mental. I hardly know anyone who can fit/change/replace bits on their bike. Why? Why are cyclists that lazy to learn? Its fun plus you take ownership of your safety. Too busy- it takes minutes once a month say. Loading in your car/the phone calls/park/drop off/drive home/repeat to collect take longer. Average lbs mechanics pushes me to pick it up

tomhoward

Rule #58

Travis

Hora.. not mental.
    Why should I when it cost 4p to do so?
    It cost me 4 quid for an annual service, and I know I am keeping people employed.
    The other side if it is, when I get my bike home I have to adjust it properly, but I am also supporting a Grass Route Economy, and when a foreigner comes into the store and has his bike (albeit a single speed crap bike) serviced, it’s great them, and again it supports the local area.

You have to look beyond your current picture. You Give. They Supply.

chiefgrooveguru

Any serious hobbist mountain biker shouls be able to service their own bike.

I’d rather spend my spare time riding my bike and help keep my LBS in business by paying them to provide a service.

robdob
    Free Member

Travis – it costs £4 for a service at your LBS? I don’t think it will be around much longer, especially when you say

when I get my bike home I have to adjust it properly

Are they actually doing anything at all???

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 200 total)

The topic ‘new low in the LBS today’ is closed to new replies.