Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 200 total)
  • new low in the LBS today
  • Sancho
    Free Member

I had a “customer” in the shop yesterday with half his canyon frame that he had bought on ebay and had resprayed himself.
    He explained he now wanted to build it but didnt know what would fit and was asking what would work.

To cut a long story short after about 40 minutes he asked me to write everything down that we had discussed, I offered to just order it for him.
    his response was er no, my mate is going to buy it for me.
    at which point I felt a bit deflated and duly wrote out all the parts and spec we had discussed.
    he then piped up that he would like to get some different cranks etc so I started going through the race face catalogue, only to be stopped mid sentence as he asked me to spell the parts we were discussing.
    As he was literally keying it in to ebay.

maybe I am a bit jaded by this, I know he can go home and do all that, but this was a new low for me.

Is this the future, should I get a pc set up in the shop so people can not waste my time and just key in to ebay what they want.

However in a super busy day he was a one off.

I now expect the usual abuse about being a rip off and needing to give people service etc.

racefaceec90

i would’ve kindly told him to (beep) off and stop wasting my time 😉

tomhoward

Some ‘customers’ need to be told like it is.

DT78
    Free Member

Difficult one if by talking to tyre kicker you were potentially losing other sales then you should have politely cut the conversation short and told him to speak to his mate….if however you had the time it might lead to a potentially customer down the line when he cocks up the build, plus being helpful always does good thing for your shops brand.

I worry about the LBS future…I got such crap service at several I decided to teach myself how to do everything. Only job that goes there now is bleeding brakes as I always make a mess and takes me ages. That and sending off suspension.

I did however buy my last bike from my lbs, I asked them to price match online and they did. So I bought it from them as I’d rather support local if I can. But for full retail afraid I won’t..

Junkyard
    Free Member

tough one but he was not and I assume unlikey to ever be a customer

he was taking your time and expertise for free in order to use your knowledge to undercut you , save him some money and earn you nothing

I would have asked for a tenner or a fiver to do as he asked or ask him to leave

it is not like it would have cost you money
    that said I dont know enough to know if it is one of those where you have to take the rough with the smooth to have a good reputation but that person is NOT A CUSTOMER

Personally i think it is unacceptable to use shops to try clothes on and then go get them cheaper on theinternet but io know folk who do it.

jam-bo

To cut a long story short after about 40 minutes

Doesn’t sound that busy 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Nothing new, pre-internet days I remember a “customer” asking if it was ok to use our phone while he was in the shop, he the proceeded to phone Chainreaction and place an order.

oliverracing

With my LBS I have had to do the exact opposite- I had to google the part number and what it looked like and print out a picture before they would even look through their spares box!

Sancho
    Free Member

It was a very, very busy day as we had been dealing with the continetal tyre swap, plus a lot of customers, I was helped out by one of the lads coming in for the afternoon on his day off.
    i dont mind spending time with customers.
    I wasnt supposed to have been working yesterday either lol, had just popped in first thing to see how everyone was and got roped in to swapping tyres.

Lummox

He was never a customer, more a taker of urine. I think 10 minutes would of been enough to establish this.

I would never have committed to a shopping list though

devash
    Free Member

From a different angle, I once went in to a bike shop in Leeds with cash in my pocket to buy a new full sus. They had the model I was interested in and when I asked if I could take the medium and large size for a quick sit and spin round the car park the gentleman serving me said “sorry, we don’t let people test ride or sit on the bikes until they have paid for them because they come in here, try them out and then go and buy them cheaper on the internet”.

I walked out and bought the bike from a different shop.

Jamie
    Free Member

“sorry, we don’t let people test ride or sit on the bikes until they have paid for them because they come in here, try them out and then go and buy them cheaper on the internet”.

I can see his point, but a better approach would have been a small deposit, £20 or so, refundable on purchase.

bencooper
    Free Member

I get this sometimes – people spend ages chatting about someone like a Rohloff, then call up a week later with one they bought on eBay asking how to fit it.

It’s hard to know what to do – yes, there’s the theory that they might become customers in future. In my experience, though, they don’t.

righog
    Free Member

I think my attitude would have depended on his age/experience.

A keen young un, just trying to do what he can with the money he has, I would think was OK ( potential future customer)

Someone older, more experienced just being a tight wad…Jog On.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Then of course there’s the other type of customer who comes in to tell you how he knows everything, and you know jack-shit.
    Had one the other day, wanted some clipless pedals. Knew all about float, ohhhh yes. As I listened I realised that he didn’t really know much at all, so I asked, and it turned out that, no, he’d never actually used them in his life…. He had not the first clue what he was on about, I can only assume he’d heard his mates talking and was trying to remember why that said, but crikey was he looking down his nose at me….

jamj1974

OP that is a piss take in my opinion. However so is a refusal to let someone swing a leg over or test ride a bike that they intend to buy… Apart from a bike to work scheme bike and a recent used frame purchase I have always bought bikes from an LBS where they have been available. The reason behind that is the ability to see the bike/frame in the flesh and to have a test ride. Without those options LBS’s don’t offer any benefit for a compete bike/frame purchase.

Sancho
    Free Member

Brilliant just had a email from a guy who wanted a new road bike, again after sorting out size for him as he didnt know anything about road bike sizing, I get an email asking to price match chain reaction who have the bike reduced (but not in his size)
    I cant match their price.
    this is taking the edge off a great day yesterday 🙁

tomhoward

I’d tell him to jog on, crc do different prices for different sizes, and that size isn’t in stock.

chiefgrooveguru

I get an email asking to price match chain reaction who have the bike reduced (but not in his size)

Tell him you can only price match items that are in stock – anything else would be ludicrous!

oldnpastit

You have every right to feel cheesed off. I’d factor that in to the pricing when he brings it in to be fixed after he fails to put it together.

matther01
    Free Member

Taking the total piss IMO. My local lbs guy is awesome…never charges me full price and often does quick jobs like cutting steerer’s for free. He’s top of my Christmas list each year…so probably gets it back at the end of the year to be fair. LBS’ should be cherished (if they’re good that is).

Travis

The prices for the ones we have in stock are….
    And you can come and collect it tomorrow, and we can set up for you in the morning, have a coffee so you’ll be riding it in the afternoon.
    Or you can wait and wait and wait for CR stock to come up.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Not bringing chocolate biscuits will always get you off on the wrong foot

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I would have asked for a tenner or a fiver to do as he asked

and that you’ll knock it off the price of any related order he places with you.

From a different angle, I once went in to a bike shop in Leeds with cash in my pocket to buy a new full sus…

23C did this to me when I had a £1K cyclescheme voucher (which they do) in my hand and asking about a specific bike. Couldnt even be bothered to get the new-model-year price list out with me stood there in the shop. So I went elsewhere for my £1K C2W bike, all the roadie kit I was collecting from scratch, and the £2k plastic fantastic that replaced it 18 months later…

TheSanityAssassin

Sancho – Member

Brilliant just had a email from a guy who wanted a new road bike, again after sorting out size for him as he didnt know anything about road bike sizing, I get an email asking to price match chain reaction who have the bike reduced (but not in his size)
    I cant match their price.
    this is taking the edge off a great day yesterday

I work for a parts supplier to the bike trade. Occasionally I answer the phone to a bike shop enquiring about price/availability of Schwalbe tyres (for eg). I’ll check stock and quote them a price and they’ll say ‘Oh, so-and-so do them at £x.00’. I ask if the other company have got them in stock. The answer is always no (otherwise why would they be ringing me?). My stock reply is that our tyres are the same price as the other lots when we’ve none in stock too…

botanybay
    Free Member

If he bought in Jaffa Cakes I bet you would have fitted the parts for him there and then and not charged him a penny.

brooess
    Free Member

I suspect if you’d explained to him why you found it unacceptable to spend all that time helping him, for him to then to take his business elsewhere, he’d not have understood your point. Some people just bimble through life without any real understanding of the idea of giving rather than taking.

I don’t know quite how you’d have done it but I think it would’ve been fair to say to him that you’d be very happy to help but not if he then goes and buys all the parts you’ve just helped him decide on elsewhere

nick1962
    Free Member

He certainly wasn’t a customer,not even a potential customer by the sound of it.Unless he was planning on bringing all his bits in for you to build his bike I would have told him to jog on.

binners

While he way stood keying it into eBay, you missed the opportunity to wee on his shoes! And being a bike shop you must have a spare set of Bombers lying around?

hora
    Free Member

OP I think in your circumstance you could have rightly pointed it out to him that your not there as a free resource. If he needs help fitting the part (s) quote him double.

Ive been in a shop, tried something on then change my mind due to not being able to stretch to the price.

project
    Free Member

a few years ago designed a walkin wardrobe for somebody, they wanted all the sizes marked down, stupidly i did a few days latter some muppet who was a relative rang up and told me the sizes where wrong on one part as he had cut got the timber cut and it was to short, and they where doing the job cheaper than me.

Never tell a customer to much and never write to detailed a spec list.

project
    Free Member

Oh and quite a few times have quoted for a job to be told the customer can get cheaper materials at b and q,with a pensioners 10%discount on a wednesday, they then deduct the price of materials and want you to pick them up and pay for them.Without actually paying you to source, pay and deliver the stuff they want,

ollie51
    Free Member

Had this a few times, I generally tell the customer politely that you pay more for our advice and for us to fit the stuff for you, now if you want that, pop down to the Co-op grab us some munch and we’ll have a good chat about getting the best components for the bike. About a 1/3 of people get really nice bikes at the end. Another 1/3 timidly re-appear to book their bikes in to have stuff fitted. The rest, well, who cares?

billyboy
    Free Member

We had a fella in two weeks ago who asked us to swap a power meter spline he’d bought elsewhere onto a new crank he’d bought on the internet. He provided the special tool needed, but it didn’t fit. The job took up 30 mins or so of our time. He comes back in a strop and leaves without offering to pay anything. Fair enough….ish, we get on with our lives. Next day he’s on the phone yelling at us that we broke his power meter and he wants £700 off us in compensation. Luckily he is a strava man, and his strava postings showed that the thing had never been working.

Having failed in this scam he then posts a nasty review about us on the internet.

Have to say most customers are nice folk and are a pleasure to deal with.

sq225917
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever had anyone take the piss like that, but then we aren’t that kind of shop, we only sell our own stuff.

tomhoward

We had a family in buying a kids bike, sale going well, kid happy, mum and dad happy, after 30odd mins we are literally at the point of going to the till (having negotiated a discounted price) and dad asks for the full details of the bike (size, model etc) sales guys sighs in resignation, knowing what is happening, dad looks at wife, says that their parking ticket is about to expire (it always is…) she offers to go back and sort it, dad says no well come back next time we are in town. Wife says why not just get it? Dad says no, in the end they shuffled off.

We weren’t toooo worried as it was a trek bike and they don’t sell online but there is another trek store not a million miles away so expected them to go there and see if they would undercut us. Happens all the time, some time they win, other times we do. That’s fine, it’s healthy competition and rivalry.

Anyway, the other shop obviously wouldn’t under cut, and the punter found out about the no online sales from trek, as the boss got an email from the shop address from the guy asking if the bike was still in stock. Unfortunately it wasn’t as we had gone bust in the interim.

Jamie
    Free Member

Unfortunately it wasn’t as we had gone bust in the interim.

That’ll teach ’em!

tomhoward

Yep. That £200 sale would have saved us! Honest….

TheDTs
    Free Member

Not bike related but we get similar happening at work. We make and fit signs and vehicle graphics, people expect proof copies and colour spec with a quote. No chance, they just send the proof round all the local competition for a cheaper price after we’ve spent time creating the design they want. They come out with all sorts reasons why they need a copy.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

One of my favourites was a guy who came in asking about cube hybrid bikes.
    We spoke at length and eventually found the ideal bike for him.
    He said he would come in the next day to put down a deposit on the bike as the distributor only had 1 left.
    He rang the following day to inform us that another shop had one with a small discount and asked if we would price match. We told him that on a current year bike we wouldn’t but could sort him Out with a spares kit and some accessories.
    He bought the bike from the other shop, which was 250 miles away, and the very next week the forks packed up.
    He then had to drive the 500 mile round trip to take it back to them as he needed it for his holiday only to find out that the replacement fork was out of stock.
    My heart bled for him!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 200 total)

The topic ‘new low in the LBS today’ is closed to new replies.