Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Log Burner installed, plus a picture of some logs
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Had a new log burner installed at the weekend. Looking forward to a nice toasty winter.

Trial run today cooking some jacket spuds for lunch in the little top oven. Absolutely spot on.

Just need to find a suitable stove top coffee maker now 🙂

A mate came over for the weekend to help fell a few trees in the garden. Lots of chainsaw action. Clearing away the brash was a right pain, got a huge pile of the stuff that will need to work out what to do with it!

timber

Easiest way to clear brash it’s to torch it. Burnt piles as big as the house we’ve cleared the trees from.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Let it season for a year, maybe more, before you burn it so it doesn’t **** up your new chimney. But you’ll enjoy winter 2016/17 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Nice looking burner. Got to think up some recipes for it now

househusband

Nice! What make is the stove? Same as the last ‘Grand Designs’ IIRC; the cave conversion. Regards your freshly felled wood pile; just get a moisture meter and wait for it to get below 20%.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Stove is a Chilli Penguin High and Mighty.

Not seen the latest Grand Designs yet, got ’em recorded, so will be good to see.

I’ve got a shed full of wood for this year, so this will be split and stacked for next winter 🙂

Not sure about burning the brash though timber. A lot of pine so very moist and smoky/steamy and might burn for a while and cheese of the neighbours downwind. Also tried burning some a while back and some embers set light to the compost heaps!

timber

Just need to get it hot enough. Got some flammable stuff and a leaf blower? Normally a slow start, but once going get hot enough to burn green stuff cleanly.

neilthewheel

Edit

sharkbait
    Free Member

Looks good – I keep meaning to pop over to Chilli Penguin as they’re in Pwllheli – I think they’ve even got a presence in Chester. I do like the glass hearth.

Looks like you took down Leylandii. We did the same a couple of years ago and left the brash in the (our) field for two years before burning it as there would probably have been too much smoke otherwise.

nickdavies

just need some flammable stuff and a leaf blower

I’ll just pop this here… 😈

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FwMlkoxjI[/video]

JoeG
    Free Member

^ Female voice “What the hell are ya doin, you’re (something) the sh!t out of my plants!” 😆

joat

If you leave the split leylandii logs outside for the winter, the rain will was off all the sap off, put them in the dry in the spring and they’ll be ready for next winter. If you put them straight away, you’ll get in a sticky mess every time you light the stove.
    It’s not long till bonfire night, throw a tarp over the brash pile and light it on Nov 5, when you’re perfectly in your rights to smoke out the neighbourhood.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just need to get it hot enough. Got some flammable stuff and a leaf blower? Normally a slow start, but once going get hot enough to burn green stuff cleanly.

Great idea …… got a big pile of stuff ready to go. Will get the blower ready 🙂

brassneck

Mine goes in in 2 days .. cant wait!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Mostly fir trees but not leylandii, but imagine similar process to avoid the sap. Cheers for that tip.

Reckon I might get away with a bonfire night burn up!

Brassneck – what are you getting?

wolly
    Free Member

Good choice!

Had mine just over 18 months now,

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Nice one Wolly.

We need a recipe corner!

jonny-m
    Free Member

How much…?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Log Burner installed, plus a picture of some logs’ is closed to new replies.