Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New lights – Lumenator vs. Wiz20 vs. BK Thr33
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Right then, I think it’s time I ditched the Magicshine 808 I’ve had for 6 years and get a light that will compete with my mate’s lights.

I ride fairly regularly with a couple of guys who have the MTB Batteries Lumenator (not the Lumenator 17) and both swamp my old Magicshine. I’ve just bought a Torchy U2 Mini for my helmet and think it’s great so I’m interested in the BK Thr33 which has similar output to the Lumenator but is less than half the price. But I’m interested in not having a separate battery block and cables so the Ituo Wiz20 appeals.

Trying to read up on each of these lights show loads of support for the Lumenator, no reviews of the BK Thr33 and limited albeit good reviews of the Wiz20 (it’s had the Singletrack Recommended stamp of approval).

Anyone able to enlighten me further (yes, the pun was intended) with any comparisons between each of these lights?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have the Wiz20 and am very impressed and pleased with it. It usefully has two modes you can set it in, one with two levels and one with three. You can also set any any light level you want as well in 10% increments up to the max of 1500 lumens.

So you could set the twin level to be say 750 lumens (low) for slower climbs and 1500 lumens (high) for faster descents. With only two 18650 cells in the Wiz20 runtimes will not be as long as a light with a 4-cell battery pack but it would be very easy to carry spare cells and switch them on the trail. The back of the light comes off very easily for changing the cells.

It is a very well built light as well and well above the average quality of most (if not all) Chinese lights I have come across. Right up there with the likes of Gloworm and Fenix I would say.

One thing you do need to be mindful of is that the Ituo lights all come with neutral white tint LEDs which is good for colour rendition of foliage etc. at night but it is better if you have a complementary NW helmet light to go with it. If your Torchy U2 is cool white tint, they don’t tend to play very well together as the different colour shades confuse the eye somewhat.

Best to have two NW or two CW tints working together.

PJ266
    Free Member

Ive recently got the Torchy BK Thr33, used it a couple of times and it seems pretty damn good to me. I bought it as a happy medium between cheap ebay specials and (to me) silly expensive options.

However I do not have a lot of experience of other lights to compare it to.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve got a laminator 17 coming in the post at the minute. If you can hang on a few days I’ll give you a detailed report of how it performs.

cb

I bought one of the cheap maxx-d lights. Riding with others that have mtb batteries illuminators and they don’t seem under powered at all! good lights.

swoosh
    Free Member

Cheap maxx-d lights? These are news to me. Or do you mean just maxx-d lights on sale?

ianbradbury

To echo CB’s comments, I have an older Lumenator, and it doesn’t feel underpowered relative to the MaxxDs and such that mates use. External battery is a bit less convenient, but not that dreadful.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

The Wiz 20 is pretty impressive for the money. The only fault I have with it is that I have a habit of accidentally pressing the switch mode button too fast and it thinks I want to programme it.

The charge lasts fairly well (although maybe not quite what they claim) and it feels really well made. Good fitting too, feels more secure than the Cateye one I have.

swoosh
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Look forward to reading a review from you Chilled76.

chilled76
    Free Member

It still hasn’t turned up. Going to phone tomorrow to ask where it is. Will let you know asap

swoosh
    Free Member

I’m going to mention another possible light – the Exposure Race.

I’ve got friends who are still using an exposure light from about 6 or 7 years ago so reckon the reliability should be there. Twice the price of a Wiz20 but a much better looking all in one system.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New lights – Lumenator vs. Wiz20 vs. BK Thr33’ is closed to new replies.