Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • New life for old innertubes
  • mattk
    Free Member

I’ve seen some novel ideas for what to do with old innertubes including homemade rockets, whoopie cushions for car exhausts and even seat post shims (yes really).

But I was lucky enough to meet Beerbabe (aka Judy) at the Cannock Classic last month. She was sponsoring the single speed & fat bike category and exhibiting her homemade goodies made from recycled innertubes and bike parts, she even made the trophies for the category out of old chain rings!

Anyway, I stopped for a chat whilst I looked at her wallets, phone/camera cases & iPad covers and map cases all made from innertubes. But what I really needed was a chainstay protector, and when I mentioned this she just said “leave it with me”.

And sure enough a week later I received my new chainstay protector in the post. I think it’s awesome…….

Go over to http://www.beerbabe.co.uk have a look.

Mods I hope you don’t mind me posting this, I just thought Judy’s recycling business is a great idea and i wanted to help a small business to get a bit of well deserved exposure.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

wonderful, tempted by a wallet, they would match my shoes,… where are the recycled beer products? 😆

neilm
    Free Member

Umm, I don’t want to p*ss on anyone parade here, but we’ve been using old tubes as chainstay protectors for around the last 20 years.

Cut a long strip of old inner tube about 20 to 25mm wide and then just wrap it, bar tape style, from the dropout to the crank. Secure it with a couple of cable ties, trim it off, job done.

They last a couple of years before the rubber starts to split, due to weather, water, mud and the constant beating of a chain.

beerbiker
    Free Member

BeerBabe makes loads of clocks for breweries out of old pump clips http://darkstarbrewing.co.uk/ have a large number for sale at their brewey shop. The latest ones went down to Dartmoor Brewery after Twentyfour12.
    You can also find a load of ‘beerings’ at http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_575316-Beerings.html but just the 1 belt on-line at this time http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2556230-Dark-Star-Bottle-Cap-Belt.html I need to make more for her 😉
    However these days the RUBBER has taken over, scary I know…
    Cheers 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What are these inner tube things you speak of?

bellefied
    Free Member

mattk – Member

And sure enough a week later I received my new chainstay protector in the post. I think it’s awesome…….

they look ace! 😀

neilm – Member

Umm, I don’t want to p*ss on anyone parade here

yes you do 🙄

stevied
    Free Member

constant beating of a chain

Have you not heard of a clutch mech?

ads678

neilm – Member

Umm, I don’t want to p*ss on anyone parade here

yes you do

He’s right though.

beerbiker
    Free Member

Just came across BeerBabes new tool roll on FB – http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2835483-Tool-Roll.html

njee20
    Free Member

Roy and Judy are both really nice, known them for a number of years, they’ve done a lot of racing in 24s too. I think their stuff is really neat, I’ve been carrying a couple of knackered chains and cassettes in my kit bag as donations when I come across them at a race!

patriotpro
    Free Member

People have been using inner-tubes as CS protectors for years.

spawnofyorkshire

patriotpro – Member

People have been using inner-tubes as CS protectors for years.

Good work reading the rest of the thread before posting

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s true though….

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just came across BeerBabes new tool roll on FB – http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2835483-Tool-Roll.html

What, you came across it on Facebook rather than your wife just telling you that she’d made it 🙄

iolo
    Free Member

neilm – Member
    Umm, I don’t want to p*ss on anyone parade here, but we’ve been using old tubes as chainstay protectors for around the last 20 years.

+1

Tennis grip tape also works well.

Some of the other stuff looks nice.

Well spammed beerbabe.

beerbiker
    Free Member

😆 Spreading the word my friends.

robdob
    Free Member

It always strikes me as odd how people spend thousands on bikes then take the mick with people spending pocket money on something “you can make yourself”. Personally I like a nice chainstay protector and the one posted up there looks a bit different and well made. Nice one!

trail_rat
    Free Member

that chainstay protector looks far nicer than a wrap of inner tube.

admittedly its not something you couldn’t do your self but its far nicer than just wrapping it round from one end to the other. one looks like an old inner tube wrapped around – the other looks like a proper pukka chainstay protector.

djc1245
    Free Member

I’ve been using amalgamating tape on my chainstays, seems to work quite well

jamiep
    Free Member

What, you came across it on Facebook rather than your wife just telling you that she’d made it

^this

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Brant would be proud of this stealth marketing..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been wrapping chainstays with tubes for years.

When do folk throw them out?

Euro
    Free Member

Really like them. Toptube bag is ace. Handbag would look better sans sprocket imo. Good job 😀

nickdavies

Stuff looks cool, but I don’t get the first line of the site intro. Beer and bicycles, 2 things that don’t normally go together.

I think she’s missing something, the 2 are like hand in glove – I don’t think I’ve ever had a day on the bike with mates that’s not involved beer at some point!

Drac

Make some great stuff and yes one of the nicest couples I’ve had the pleasure to meet.

Been wrapping chainstays with tubes for years.

People have been making bikes for years too but yet they still get made.

rOcKeTdOg

Beer and bicycles, 2 things that don’t normally go together

You need to meet Roy, Judy’s other half a.k.a @beerbiker to know she knows all about beer & bikes

rOcKeTdOg

The’re the things people who use tubless tyres have to carry round incase their tyres don’t seal one day

patriotpro
    Free Member

People have been making bikes for years too but yet they still get made.

Granted, bikes have evolved over said years quite dramatically though eh lad…

How much would you say that CS protector has evolved over the years?

takisawa2

[list]RD+1 with a mocking cackle. 😀

garage-dweller

Rocketdog I think what you meant was they are what people without tubeless tyres are forever putting patches on.

garage-dweller

Poops double post

jameso

The’re the things people who use tubless tyres have to carry round incase their tyres don’t seal one day
    Everyone I know that still uses tubes (well, only 2 of them now) carry spare tube/s too. It reduces the amount of them we can spend mocking them when they get yet another flat.. )

That stay protector’s neat. Wrapped tubes work ok, but do look awful.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The thing is,Jameso.. I carry one (I’m also tubeless), but because I never get snakebites like Mr Rocketdog, the one I carry is starting to perish ;O)

Northwind

That is much neater than my innertube chainstay protectors.

Incidentally, I tried spraying stans sealant over the chainstay, it doesn’t really work.

yorlin
    Free Member

The trick is to ride on nice flat terrain that doesn’t bang the chain up and down!

rOcKeTdOg

The thing is,Jameso.. I carry one (I’m also tubeless)

See, told you 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member
    allthepies
    Free Member

I was asked whether it was possible to replace 2 of the slots with a purse

Guuuuurllllll 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

That was going to be my next observation.

mtbfix

Don’t forget revelo, who make lots of nice stuff from retired tubes and tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New life for old innertubes’ is closed to new replies.