Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New lenses in glasses
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone used any online companies for replacement lenses in prescription glasses?
    The wife has been and got her eyes tested and needs new lenses but wants to keep her frames. Boots quoted her 200+ pounds but looking online there are cheaper options.
    Anyone used them ? Good or bad experiences?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The lenses are really the part you shouldn’t scimp on imo. If you have the prescription you can shop around and take the best price. Haven’t used any online company only go to a small local optician. Depending on prescription £200 may be a fair price

MikeG

Cilary Blue are very good and also very cheap.

jkomo

Exactly what lenses? Boots are pricey for high street opticians.
    I wouldn’t want to send my favourite frames off to the internet though.

AlanMc100
    Free Member

Check to see if you have a local branch of On Spec nearby.
    My local branch sorted me out with a new set of vari-focal tinted lenses in my existing Ray Ban frames for £110 ………. which was £200 less than Boots and Vision Express wanted to relieve me of !!!
    You get the “human touch”, sound advice, and they had my new specs turned around in 5 days.
    Alan

PePPeR

Take your prescription to Asda, two pairs full vari focal for tops £130

Really good set up with no extras to pay for and you can buy two pairs for less than this too.

The only extra my wife just paid for was to have Reactolite lenses in one pair which was 30 pounds.

I looked at getting new lenses in my old frames, but it just wasnt worth it as they wont warranty anything.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Anecdotally, I recently had my eyes tested at Tesco and the prescription has changed slightly. As I have a virtually (2yrs) new pair of Oakley riding glasses with corrective lenses, (from Tesco) I asked how much to buy one new pair and put new lenses in the Oakley frames. £410 was the answer.
    If I chose to have two new pairs. One being the exact same frames I’d like to re-glaze. The cost will be £320
    Now does that make sense to you? It sure doesn’t to me.
    Anywho. If your lenses are single vision there should be no problem. Anything else, you definitely need to go into the shop for fitting.

joebristol

Another vote for Ciliary Blue. They’ve put new lenses in one pair of normal glasses for me which are great, and much cheaper than vision express. They also put some prescription polycarbonate lenses into an old pair of Oakley frames I had for riding in. Great job both times and a very quick turnaround.

bamboo
    Free Member

I have recently been through this. I needed new frames, so chose the ones I wanted in Vision Express (£240!), then found them online for £90.

I looked at ciliary blue, and the thinnest lenses for me would be £95 (-1.74 index).

I went to Specsavers for a free eye test, and whilst there they quoted me £90 for the -1.74 lenses, with a £35 fitting fee. Given that I got a free eye test with them, I thought the extra £35 fitting fee was fair enough so I went with Specsavers.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t go to high street chains; go and find a good local optician who will do the job properly and give you a competitive price. This is especially important with varifocals, which need to be set up with careful measurement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New lenses in glasses’ is closed to new replies.